“a lovely walk”

Brogdale Collections
Ranked #7 of 53 things to do in Faversham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Brogdale Collections was established as a charity to work with the curator chosen by DEFRA. Brogdale Collections has managed visitor access to the NFC in partnership with the University of Reading, since the start of their curation in 2008. The Charity offers a range of opportunities for the public to use the collections as an educational resource including Daily Guided Tours (April - November), Fruit Days, Festivals and Key Stage 1 & 2 Education Days.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have been here three times now over the years. It is undoubtably a place to go when the blossom isin bloom or the fruit is about to be ripe. The guided tour is good but the guide really needs to improve her knowledge a little as she did struggle with some questions, her reply "I kleep asking but no one knows". Tour costs money but not a lot. NOT suitable for those that cannoit walk over rough ground
Well worth a visit but be careful of the cake shop bought a cake that turned out to be out of date!
Otherwise a great experience. Micro brewary "tour" isnt really that the young lad just gave us tasters and opened an empty vat to look in

1  Thank Hoppityskip
There are newer reviews for Brogdale Collections

Reviewed May 27, 2013

After reading some info on the Internet and seeing it mentioned on the TV I thought Brogdale would be more interesting and impressive than it is. For the average townie maybe it's OK but as I know a little about fruit farming I was underwhelmed. The cafe is trying to be a restaurant but it really isn't, the service is polite but poor, first thing we were told when we arrived with our toddler was that we would have to find a high chair and bring it to the table ourselves. This isn't usually an issue in a cafe but if you are charging restaurant prices and making an attempt at table service. Food was not great and very overpriced, the most shocking was a VERY small glass (2 mouthfuls) of apple juice for £1.95. For a fruit farm the apple juice wasn't even that great. Whole experience was very average.

2  Thank maximusmoon
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've just spent a lovely time at Brogdale, I arrived hoping to take part in the Hanami tour, to be advised that I should have pre-booked but the next accompanied tour would take place within the hour. Just time for a drink and cake....went on recommendation, next door to the cafe, served quickly, and had a delicious [warm] fruit scone with, unusually, raspberry jam. Suitably refreshed I returned to the booking office and found I was the only person on that tour! My guide was Mike [Roser], very knowledgeable, answering all my [possibly inane] questions and giving background to the many orchard areas we walked around. Also advising names of several fruits that I should taste when I come across them, and even after the horrific winds we've had in East Kent, most of the trees were still laden with blossom. Super shopping complex area just outside outside, the garden centre definitely worth a visit! Will try and go back regularly, especially to go to the Fruit Shop when it's open!

4  Thank EPR50
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Attended Brogdale over the Bank Holiday weekend - not only to appreciate the sunshine on a Bank Holiday, but to visit the beautiful orchards and buy some local produce from the butchers and delicatessen. It was definitely worth the 50 mile round trip and so was the food!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

As I'm new to the area, the Brogdale Collection was a 'must see'. Although the weather wasn't brilliant, I was made very welcome by my tour guide, Ted. Some trees were in blossom despite the fact that we've had such a hard winter (a fact that was self evident for anyone looking out their windows)
My guide was extremely knowledgable and entertaining, pulling cobnuts and medlars from his pockets like a olde worlde Paul Daniels. I wasn't aware of the variety of fruits AND nuts here (who's ever heard of a pinkcurrant lol)
Will definitely be taking the tour again, at least twice, later in the year to see the progression of the fruit and, of course, a bit of tasting.
An added bonus, was the lovely butchers, cafe, delicatessen, garden centre and gift shops all staffed by the friendliest of people.
This place will be awesome in the summer...........