“Lovely morning....”

Brogdale Collections
Ranked #6 of 51 things to do in Faversham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Brogdale Collections was established as a charity to work with the curator chosen by DEFRA. Brogdale Collections has managed visitor access to the NFC in partnership with the University of Reading, since the start of their curation in 2008. The Charity offers a range of opportunities for the public to use the collections as an educational resource including Daily Guided Tours (April - November), Fruit Days, Festivals and Key Stage 1 & 2 Education Days.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've just spent a lovely time at Brogdale, I arrived hoping to take part in the Hanami tour, to be advised that I should have pre-booked but the next accompanied tour would take place within the hour. Just time for a drink and cake....went on recommendation, next door to the cafe, served quickly, and had a delicious [warm] fruit scone with, unusually, raspberry jam. Suitably refreshed I returned to the booking office and found I was the only person on that tour! My guide was Mike [Roser], very knowledgeable, answering all my [possibly inane] questions and giving background to the many orchard areas we walked around. Also advising names of several fruits that I should taste when I come across them, and even after the horrific winds we've had in East Kent, most of the trees were still laden with blossom. Super shopping complex area just outside outside, the garden centre definitely worth a visit! Will try and go back regularly, especially to go to the Fruit Shop when it's open!

4  Thank EPR50

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Attended Brogdale over the Bank Holiday weekend - not only to appreciate the sunshine on a Bank Holiday, but to visit the beautiful orchards and buy some local produce from the butchers and delicatessen. It was definitely worth the 50 mile round trip and so was the food!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

As I'm new to the area, the Brogdale Collection was a 'must see'. Although the weather wasn't brilliant, I was made very welcome by my tour guide, Ted. Some trees were in blossom despite the fact that we've had such a hard winter (a fact that was self evident for anyone looking out their windows)
My guide was extremely knowledgable and entertaining, pulling cobnuts and medlars from his pockets like a olde worlde Paul Daniels. I wasn't aware of the variety of fruits AND nuts here (who's ever heard of a pinkcurrant lol)
Will definitely be taking the tour again, at least twice, later in the year to see the progression of the fruit and, of course, a bit of tasting.
An added bonus, was the lovely butchers, cafe, delicatessen, garden centre and gift shops all staffed by the friendliest of people.
This place will be awesome in the summer...........

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Don't go here, we booked over the phone but no confirmation email or any message was sent to us. By the time we arrived they had no knowledge about our visit and we had to wait ages to be taken on the tour. They overstate their farms, the main reason for going was for the cherry blossom picnic which was basically a large pile of barren trees.

The farms themselves are TINY. 90% barren wooden trees in the middle of spring.

And to make it worse they served us food weeks past its date. we went on 4th May 2013 and it was expired in April. Not worth the prices we paid for it and I will never go there again.

3  Thank Luke C
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Whilst in the Faversham area of Kent a visit to Brogdale is a chance to see the National Fruit Collection best times are spring for blossom and autumn for fruit.
Whilst there visit the Brogdale Butchers for top quality pork from fruit fed pigs,cuts of meat are generous and good priced.
But the best buy in my opinion is the Old Spot sausages packed with pork which DO not shrink when cooked,can`t say that for supermarket bangers.
At Christmas we managed to get a collar bacon joint for a great change from gammon,tastier than gammon and much better value,i also bought a 2kg piece of ribeye steak to roast,fantastic flavour and very tender.
I go there once a month to stock up on meat usual spend £50+ and a round trip of 40 miles, so we also visit Macnade suoermarket behind Reads Restaurant for hard to find cheeses and fruit/veg not available in any supermarket away from a big city.

1  Thank ron c