“OK pub, but poor food”

Dining options: Reservations
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“OK pub, but poor food”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

As a pub, the Old Wine Vaults is OK. Looked recently refurbished, but the carpet was filthy. Toilets also not very good - with no paper towels in the gents, and a non-intuitive hand dryer (instructions read "Tap underneath").
We also ate a meal here, and out of five main courses, two were acceptable, with the others obviously having been reheated, one overly so. The overcooked main was replaced, but was still not very good. The sausages from a nearby butcher were good, however.
Good location in the centre of Faversham, but I wouldn't rush back to eat here.

• Visited September 2012
Nualabs, Owner at The Vaults Cask & Kitchen, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I am disjointed that you felt the standard of our food was poor and I would welcome you to email us with more details so I can deal with this issue. It is certainly not our policy to reheat food and I realise this has taken me some time to answer you and this may make it hard for me to rectify, I am new to many aspects of the internet, Trip Adviser being one of them. We have recently changed our menu and I am sure you will find it improved.
Your visit would appear to have happened just after Faversham International Hop Festival, we have an unbelievable amount of people in the town (over 40,000!) and this does take it's toll on the carpet. We clean them after the festival and I can only think this was not done before your visit. The toilets are being updated and improved.
Please let me know if you are visiting again so I can meet you.

kent
“Very nice Pub”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Another pub worth a visit when In Faversham. Good selection of well kept beers and good food. Even does Xmas day lunch, which was very good.
Now does a farmers market. Also have beer festivals and special events nights,

Visited August 2012
Thank you for reviewing us and I am glad you enjoyed your visit. We constantly strive to keep the standards of our ales and ciders, we were 3rd in CAMRA pub of the year and are currently their cider pub of the year.
Our Christmas day lunches are very popular and book up fast. Shortly we have our St Arnold's Day beer and music festival (first weekend in July) so maybe you would like to try that?
Thanks again.
Faversham, United Kingdom
“Not all that”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We went there for a Christmas do. Was promised after dinner music, there was a quiet juke box-and a lot of dissapointed employees on a christmas do that could not dance! Food was ok but a lot of it was too overcooked-stuffing ball not cuttable with a normal knife. Was also a mix up over our booking. We was a party of about 30 so a lot of work for them. Afterwards I felt it was expensive for the evening we had.

• Visited December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I would welcome an email so I can find out who took your booking and what the mix up was. I am sorry you were disappointed, but I am a little baffled, you see we don't do music for Christmas meals so I cannot think why you were told we would provide it. However we did partner with an event in the venue opposite us last year, so you could eat in the pub then dance until late there.
We generally compare value wise very well with other venues in Faversham and I am sorry you felt this was not the case.

Visited December 2011
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Mediocre food”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Very friendly pub ideal if you have a dog with you. Good beer pleasant staff and all looks good. Food was not up to standard quite mediocre. Not good value

1 Thank Jane E
Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed the beer. I am sorry you felt the food was not up to standard, we have recently introduced a new menu and I am sure you will find this to you liking. As you say we welcome dogs and their owners and hope to see you again. Please feel free to email us with more specifics so we can address the problems.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Worth a try”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

An interesting pub. The food and service were typically what you would expect in a pub, neither bad nor good - acceptable for the price paid.

Thank you for reviewing us, I think you will find our new menu is exciting and satisfying, we have invested in staff training and recruitment and you will like this on your next visit.