The Ship Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Romney Bay House Hotel(Littlestone-on-Sea)
View Hotel
The Ship Hotel(New Romney)
  • Free Internet
Sandgate Hotel(Sandgate)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewsgood selection of alesbooked a tablegarlic breadbirthday lunchample spacegastro puban evening mealromney marshstayed here for one nightfurniturerefurbishment
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Lovely Inn with large dining rooms and really nice bar.

Room was typical unmodernised inn room: tiny shower, little water pressure in en suite but beds comfy enough.
Useful place for overnight prior to channel crossing. Would use again
Didn't try breakfast as 8.30 serving was too late for tunnel crossing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank alan b b
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is an excellent spot to stop en route to France.Good value accommodation and food and helpful young staff which is more than can be said about the landlady Elaine who was disinterested in our welfare throughout concentrating on ensuring we paid our bill the nite before leaving after which not a word even at breakfast or before we left altho she was around.Pity because we could have told her about the pump next to our room going off every other minute disrupting our nites sleep.

Room Tip: avoid no 2 and that pump
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank oscarYork
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in a family room with our grandchildren. Landlady and staff very welcoming. Reasonably quiet, breakfasts good, wifi worked. Close to the beach (about a 5 minute walk) and village centre. Convenient base for south Kent and East Sussex. Ate in the restaurant once - again good quality. A very old building, reasonably well modernised, but a bit rickety in places (door to ensuite neede care). Would definitely stay again (without the grandchildren !)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank SidcupWhinger
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family on the bank holiday weekend as we were attending a wedding at the nearby port lympne safari park and mansion. The guy on reception was really helpful, very chatty and genuinely seemed interested in my family which is really nice to see as it seemed sincere as well. The room itself was fine, for £60 a night I didn't want anything more than I got which was a comfy bed ample space. The building is very old and we were in room 8 which is in the roof of the building so if your tall not the most ideal but I think the property had good character and so the creaky floors and low ceilings really didn't bother me. The one thing I think this place could do better comes at breakfast time. The two women who served us were very disinterested and their level of service I feel let the great welcome from reception down. To me it felt a bit like we were a burden particularly to the younger waitress my dad was making light conversation with her and at one point i definately saw her roll her eyes. Another party were eating breakfast at the same time we were and ad hoc requests were dealt with a little awkwardly. One lady asked for a boiled egg as she didn't want a full English and it was provided but it felt quite awkward. We asked for two cokes with breakfast and were told we could have a can as the main bar was closed. Again these are very small things but I did expect a bit better service. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area but I do also think the management of the hotel need to make sure all of their staff are as professional and efficient as the front of house guy.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank AWilkinson24
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked the family room which had a double and twin beds. The beds were very clean and comfortable. The floors very very creaky and a bit crooked which made us laugh every time we walked around the room. Things would roll off the bedside cabinet which also made us laugh. The furniture was also on a bit of a lean because of the floor. The carpet was very old and a little stained and the furniture did not suit the room. The room we stayed in looked like it was being renovated as the shower had exposed timber under the shower base. The stairs to the first floor are extremely narrow and curve around at the top so not the best for a elderly person. The ensuite has a shower and toilet with a hand basin. This room is very small and the shower didn't work properly for us. I would use the main share bathroom on the first floor for a shower as it seems to be quite good. We had a great breakfast in the restaurant. The restaurant seemed very popular on the night if our arrival so I am assuming the dinner meals are as good as the breakfast. This place has potential.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family