“Booked online but hotel cancelled booking”

Dr Syns Guest House
Ranked #3 of 5 Dymchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have promised my mother I would take her to this guest house which isnear her sister for a long time so was so pleased when i managed to book it for 3 nights for my mothers birthday...I booked it online with booking.com but received a call the next day from the guest house to say that they had taken a booking by phone and were not able to take the booking...I said that it was an online booking for which I had received a confirmation and she was quite rude and not at all apologetic and said "well you will just have to cancel it online" I was really upset and had to break the news to my mother, I think they should remove themselves from online booking if they are not capable of dealing with it!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LabyrinthLynn
mipps, Owner at Dr Syns Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

In response to this review, Thank you so much for wanting to stay at our "Dr Syns Guest House",
As I said to you in our phone call we also take bookings over the phone and by direct email through my own web site, I would say this is more than 3/4s of our bookings in the year,
On line bookings are made but mostly by people from germany and holland . for one night or so travelling through,
The Morning of your booking for the Twin Room for 3 nights 6th 7th 8th May, I had taken a booking by Phone for the 8th and 9th may plus deposit by card, while cooking breakfast & and checking guests out of guest house, I did not get to go on line untill around 11am when every one had gone .
When I see your Fax booking come in I throught how nice, I then read the dates and to my dismay realised one of the days over lapped with the booking I had taken over the phone around 9am in the morning , I called you there and Then same day , you told me you had made the booking at 7am in the morning, I did not call the next day as in you review above, I explaned what had happened and offered to call the Guest House just up the road from me to book you in there, you declined my offer and said you would have to find somewhere else to stay, I did say the sunday and monday was stil ok to stay but you said you needed to stay on the Tuesday and did not want to move for one night, I said thats fine, I did say I am very sorry but sometimes this does happen ( not very offen but it does) I asked you then to please cancel the booking as I can not do it from here, you have cancelled it now but I see it took 6 days,
We are only a small Family run Guest House in a small sea side Town, all the B & B owners know each other here and all get on fine, and quit often have to use each others B & B to fit all guests in that want to stay in our area as there is no large hotel and we all only have 3 to 5 rooms per B & B..
As for your last line in your review,, No I will still take online bookings, as all business do, no one is perfect and small mistakes are sometimes made, (more by large hotels) I have taken double booking guests here from other hotels where they over booked but never told the customer they just let them arrive and then send to to me or somewhere else, At Least I called you and told you what had happened.
As for the end of our phone call on that morning I felt you were quite rude to me, and then you slammed the phone down .
I hope you enjoy your 3 day break in Dymchurch as it is a lovely sea side town with many things to do including the small Steam Railway, R H D Railway which many people come to see.
I have Run Guest Houses, Hotels, Public Houses, Restaurants for nearly 30 years, (and I am still Quite young!,) and have always done my best to see guests are OK and well looked after during there stay with us , many guests return year after year, and we look forward to seeing them, Regards Debbie Owner.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

We have spent many holidays at Dr. Syns, and found Debbie and John the perfect hosts. Nothing is too much trouble for Debbie , she will always have the kettle on or a sandwich if needed. The Sunday roast and breakfasts are delicious. John is host in the bar [naturally]. The bedrooms are very warm, comfortable and clean. We have just spent a week there and are back again in June. We can say it is a very homely atmosphere with much laughter and background music. Looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: MR. Mipps and Mrs. Wagget rooms overlook the lovely garden.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 663lindab

Hello, Thank you so much for adding the review, It was lovely to see you both again, and the weather was fab for that week, we always try to do our best when guests stay as you know, see you both in June, ( hope the weather will be good the) Debbie & John,

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is the perfect place to stay if you are thinking of travelling to the kent coast this year. It is a lovely run guest house and is situated just off the high street, very close to the beach (2 min walk) and other attractions that Dymchurch has to offer. Very inviting, clean (very clean) and excellent food and nothing is too much trouble for Debbie and her staff. .

There is off street parking and afternoon tea's are served in the rear garden during the summer months there is also a small bar if you wish to have a quite drink before you retire to your room. Breakfast is very well cooked and hot (cooked to order) time of breakfast is agreed before retiring to bed. and includes Tea, Coffee and toast and is served in their lovely dinning room.

My mum and I have stayed here quite a few times now during the winter months and have enjoyed our stay every time a big thank to Debbie and John, you have excelled yourselves again, we are so looking forward to staying again with you both in march see you soon Pat and Dawn. And thank you again for making us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent but being a grade listed building there is no double glazing but this dos...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whackyofdymchurch

Hello, Thank you for your review, see you again soon, Regards Debbie.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

had two nights here and it was great. lovely house food was top class.lovely warm welcome by the hosts debbie and john can not falt it at all.see you soon debbie and john all the best barry and wendy.

Room Tip: no tips all rooms are great.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank barry019
Reviewed July 5, 2011

just had a lovely weekend at Dr Syns,and cant wait to go back. Debbie and John were great hosts and made us feel very welcome.Had a meal on the first evening, which was very nice, and plenty of it! Breakfast was great and cooked to order.
The rooms were very clean and cosy, with everything you need.
we were lucky enough to have good weather during our stay, and so spent a lot of time sitting in the pretty garden, looking forward to going back later in the year.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank angiehughes
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Loved this place. I was kidding about the dawn chorus. It is noisy but I wasn't complaining. The beach is not one for swimming from, but it is great to walk along anyway. Debbie our host was attentive, friendly, and a very cheeky laugh. I rated it as far as value as not brilliant because £70 seems a lot for what it was, but that's probably the average these days; we can't afford to go out much!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeckhamRose
Reviewed May 4, 2010

stayed at this guest house last year the host debbie and john are excellent nothing is to much trouble what ever your needs are they are happy to help the rooms are very clean everything you need even down to a small fridge in the bedroom tea and cofee maker everything u need in the bathroom the breakfast is a full english and is made to order ,they do a great dinner time menu saturday and sunday but i adivse u book in advance as any one can come and eat it gets full quickly also they have a well stocked bar steve and janet mcarthur salford manchester

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank plug42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dymchurch
Hythe Imperial
#2 of 5 in Dymchurch
Littlestone Hotel
Littlestone Hotel
#2 of 5 in New Romney

Been to Dr Syns Guest House? Share your experiences!