“Overnight in Deal”
Review of Sutherland House

Sutherland House
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Deal
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at Sutherland House en route to the ferry at Dover. We had planned to arrive around 9.30pm but due to an earlier accident on the M25 followed by torrential rain, thunder and lightening on the drive down we did not arrive until after 11pm. We telephoned the owner to let him know of our delay and he had the kindness not only to wait up for us but to make us delicious sandwiches after we arrived; which we ate in the delightful sitting room.
Our ground floor room was comfortable and clean and breakfast the next morning was prompt freshly cooked.
Overall the hotel is wonderful and eccentrically decorated, I particularly loved the dining room! Staff are welcoming and courteous.
My only complaint is that the weather was too wet (and also we did not have time) to sit out in the beautiful back garden.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FoucaultFan

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in June having booked only a few days before. The owner was particularly accomodating as we have two small dogs and it is often difficult to find quality accomodation that will take us. The stay was lovely, in a beautifully decorated room with a wonderful new bathroom ensuite. The owner was extremely helpful and allowed our dogs to play in the gardens which are kept beautifully.

A wonderful stay and we would highly recommend this hotel. We are frequent travellers in North America and Europe, and this really was quite a special find.

Room Tip: We had room 3 - lovely. I understand all rooms are ensuite and all are quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Monkton42
GKNH, Owner at Sutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you so much!.

You will be interested to know we have just attained our 5 STAR RATING for the TWENTY SECOND year in a row( previously diamonds),

Hope to welcome you back with us very soon..

Reviewed July 16, 2014

You may indeed go far and fare worse than savour the delights of The Sutherland House Hotel. Situated in a corner of Tudor England yet just a step away from the busy corridor to London, this tranquil hostelry will restore your sanity. We have always understood that Rolls Royce think of everything. However from the manifold electrical appliances in every room, the self closing lavatory seats to the thoughtful provision of reading glasses at the snug bar, genial host and hotel owner Gerald Hindman has thought of even more. The Grecian style stone statue of a teddy bear guarding the entrance to the rear of the property is testament to this. One wonders how the proprietor has managed to upgrade his rooms year on year steadily improving the elegant decor with beautiful dobby weave curtains and plush carpets and this is not all. For a modest fee Mr Hindman can sometimes be available to cook a superb evening meal. His early career stifled by bureaucracy, Gerald quit in order to develop his passion for hospitality. Twenty five years later his flagship enterprise is a joy to experience. We very much appreciated the comfortable beds, the luxury soap and handcream in the bathroom plus the ample wardrobe and hanging space. The dining room is elegant and has a well stocked honesty bar, which we would highly recommend. When asked if feedback for his establishment is mostly positive, the owner modestly concurred. "I'm far too long in the tooth", he said "Not to know that you simply cannot please all of the people all of the time and that I will inevitably have the occasional irascible customer. But that's only to be expected". Looking almost boyish for his fifty plus years Hindman says that he intends to go on for as long as he can filling a valuable spot in this niche market. (And who could blame him)

Room Tip: Speak with proprietor
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank JeremyLawless

How very kind! Thank you so much.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted by the treatment my mother has received from this establishment! When she booked she phoned to check everything was ok at the time was told the dates had been booked wrong but was assured this had been changed... Obviously this was not the case as she was supposed to arrive today phoned about half hour ago to check the hotel had a fan in the room to be told she was supposed to arrive yesterday!!! The hotel don't use email confirmation (in this day and age that's just bizarre!) and had her telephone number down wrong!!! My mother spoke to the manager and pointed out that looking at trip advisor this isn't the first time this b&b have done this and his response.... If your going to threaten me with trip advisor your not the sort of guest I want staying here... Nice! My mother has now managed to arrange another b&b in the area last minute but this has been a very upsetting experience for her.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank LauraH-TRIP
GKNH, Owner at Sutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

A booking was made and recorded in some detail for ONE night that of July 4th.

This was subsequently changed by telephone to TWO nights the 10 and 11th of July.

We received a telephone call on the morning of 11th of July with a somewhat curious enquiry about a fan in the room (which of course there is) whereby the discrepancy in dates emerged.

The lady became rude and agitated as we tried to sort out the booking despite being full on the second night.

After trying other establishments without success, the lady called again saying she would come on the first night but proceeded to threaten that she would regardless of her stay she would place a terrible review on this site (which she has) .

Sutherland house welcomes fair reviews however made but cannot BE EXPECTED TO REACT WARMLY to threats by people who have not experienced a stay at the hotel. Review sites are not set up for this kind of vindictive reaction but to be an accurate reflection of all elements of an actual stay.

Had the lady had been more reasonable, then we would have happily have accommodated her on the 11 th and( failing a cancellation), I would have offered her my own suite for the second night had that been acceptable to her. UNFORTUNATELY we did not get to that point because after her threats and unwillingness to listen to reason, the woman slammed down the telephone.

As for confirmation by e mail this is standard procedure where requested but we were never given an address.

I am sorry there was confusion over this booking and glad the lady got accommodation even without our help, however I must repeat that, with politeness instead of threats, we could still have helped this potential client.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

one night stop in an unfamiliar location, Hotel was easy to find and I was given a pleasant welcome. Room was traditional with modern bathroom en- suite which was well laid out.
I was on my own and given a two single bed room, the bed was very comfortable and everything you need was to hand, only downside was because of the heat(very warm day) I had to open my window for air which let in a lot of traffic noise. I knew before hand an evening meal had to be pre booked so I walked into the town centre (15mins) and ate there.
Breakfast was what I asked for and well made, overall I rate this small hotel highly, pleasant host, nice rooms and an honesty bar in the lounge, nice to be treated as a person not a number.
Traffic noise stopped me giving top marks, but with the windows closed it would not be a problem.
Will definately stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: try for one away from the main road
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank msg101
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Hotel owner extremely courteous and pleasant . Nothing was too much trouble. Evening meal delicious and breakfast equally as good. Room comfortable and pleasant. Will definitely return to see Gerry on next visit to Deal

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gerri C
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed for two nights here and what a gem it is. Gerry the owner is very helpful and a great host. The off road parking will be an added bonus on my next trip down in the car! It is only a short cab journey from the town, station and sea front. I look forward to my next stay there. Thank you Gerry!

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Diane L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
The Royal Hotel
Queen Street Hotel
Queen Street Hotel
#5 of 5 in Deal
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel

Been to Sutherland House? Share your experiences!