“More care needed!”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Went here on Friday late afternoon/early evening for a drink and something to eat with a friend. The bar had plenty of staff behind it but three of them said they were locked out of the tills so could not serve, this meant a long wait to be served. When the food arrived it looked like the chef was having target practice, throwing his creation at the plate from a distance - what stayed on the plate you got to eat. The chips were Luke warm on a cold plate and the cheese sauce stuff they had managed to get in the burger (most had missed and was on the side of the burger and the plate) wasn't very nice.

We asked for tomato sauce and the waitress said it was in the baskets on the counter, these were empty and when I told the same waitress she immediately said 'yeah we should get a delivery tomorrow' looking at me as if I should have known!

We Didn't expect a fantastic meal from a Wetherspoons so weren't really that disappointed, just a bit more care would have been nice.

2  Thank ollie354

Reviewed March 24, 2013

First impressions on entry,nice clean woody looking place and cosy around the fire with plenty of seating for small family groups plus one large "party" table in an alcove.But when you move though to the bar it is like a barn without straw, wooden walls (tastefully done) and very tall ceiling with arty farty wood hanging "things",would be great on a hot summers day but not in freezing march,every body still had their coats on in this area.
Service was very good fast and friendly,but they were not busy,may be different when full.
Went for breakfast,had eggs Benedict great price freshly cooked but felt cold on the palate due to a very cold plate,(note for management :- you need a plate warmer)
Would i return, yes will try their steak tuesday & curry thursday.
Alcohol was usual good pricing to attract the boozy youth of today,not a traditional pub feel to the place.
I prefer the 2 in Canterbury for atmosphere,and comfort,plus the food was warmer there.

1  Thank ron c
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a terribly disappointing experience here. While we appreciate that some teething problems are to be expected shortly after opening, we felt that our experience far outweighed this. Frankly it was disastrous.

We visited at around 4pm on Friday 8th March, the pub was extemely busy which was to be expected. To begin with we found it difficult to find a table that was not soiled and were disappointed when a waiter followed us and cleared all the tables apart from ours. I fail to see how he could have mistaken the mess for ours as we were still in our coats. We moved the glasses and cups to the neighbouring table and i was shocked when the waiter returned and sarcastically asked if we'd finished with our glasses. I tried to explain that they were not ours however ended up talking to his back.

Later my husband went to the bar to order our food and bizarrely my starter arrived at my table before my partner had returned from the bar! I don't usually complain about quick service but I don't enjoy eating alone, especially seeing as my partners starter failed to arrive entirely!

After a lengthy wait we were approached by a waiter who apologized for the mix up. The starter eventually arrived (after mine had been eaten) and the waiter informed us that our mains would be with us in roughly two minutes. We waited and waited and whilst doing so noticed that two seperated tables had either sent their meals back to the kitchen or had requested a refund because the food was under cooked. We could see that the chips were burnt around the edges but white in the middle. We were very apprehensive at this point but thought that perhaps it was single batch and the problem would be rectified.

In total I believe we waited approximately 40 minutes (after the predicted two minutes, this was surprising because there appeared to be plenty of staff on the floor, not to mention the snarling duty manager prowling around) and in this time a further two tables returned or refunded their meals. We were sitting in a small area at the front of the pub so I dread to think how many other tables complained.

Needless to say we could not eat once our food finally arrived for fear of catching dysentery. Not only was the food cold, the chips were completely hard and raw but burnt around the edges. In my opinion somebody who cannot be trusted to cook a chip certainly should not be trusted to cook prawns!

My partner and I were deeply disappointed because we had made a special trip by train to visit the new pub. We are usually fans of wetherspoons and regularly visit the pubs in Margate, Whitstable, Herne Bay and Folkestone.

In my opinion it had been made very clear to the management that there was a problem with the chef and it was a huge mistake on their part to continue to allow undercooked food to be served to unsuspecting customers. I flinched when I walked past the bar to hear some poor woman ordering a Surf and Turf.

Initially I felt I could excuse the experience and put it down to teething problems however, to quote my unhappy neighbour, an establishment such as Wetherspoons should have been prepared. Furthermore, I emailed the chain via a link on their website over a week ago and have not received a response at all.

8  Thank EmmaandScottt
Reviewed March 17, 2013

What a shame. We went for a family meal, with an open mind being a new venue.
Lovely decor, very efficient and polite staff, the food was ok for value pub grub. So really no complaints on what has been achieved.
One group of 20 somethings were sitting amongst families and downing large jugs of cocktails. The language being used was the worst possible loud swearing.
This made us leave, with other families starting to do the same, or stuck as only part way through meal.
Mentioned it to the staff, only to be informed the management would be told.
Not good enough, don't promote a family atmosphere if you're not willing to create one.
We will give it one more try, hopefully nicer locals will be in for a drink next time!

3  Thank Jamessalmon
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My Wife and I went along this morning for a breakfast It was our first time in this new venue. It is large and airy with bright and quirky décor. Because it was a quiet period when we were there we felt it lacked a bit of atmosphere, some background music would have helped.

Service was polite and friendly and our food came out quite quickly and was very nice. There is a wide choice of food and drink available all at reasonable prices.

Our only mild criticism is that the staff door into the kitchen bangs loudly as it closes which can be quite irritating if you are sat near it. I am sure a simple strip of rubber would cure this.