“Very poor customer service”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Deal
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am a regular visitor to the Royal Hotel, where my stays had previously been a pleasure and something I really looked forward to. I arrived on the Friday evening for a two night stay, I was left waiting for 15 minutes before I was checked in. I then asked for breakfast in my room, as I always have. It is clearly stated in the hotels website and in the guest pack in the room that for a fee of £5 breakfast can be served in the room. The reaction from the manager to this request took me by complete surprise, I recieved a 15 minute lecture as to why i could not recieve breakfast in my room, this tirade took place in front of other guests which made me very uncomfortable. The mananger did then say i could have breakfast in my room but this episode did ruin my visit. My room was lovely but i feel customer service training is required here.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank emmabroom

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

This was our fifth visit to the Royal, a hotel we liked principally for the three balcony rooms overlooking the beach making it the best location in Deal. We booked by phone a week ahead and were offered a special room rate of £90 for the night including breakfast and tax. A few days before we were due to arrive we phoned to check if towelling dressing gowns were included. The hotel could not find our booking at first, then said that it had been entered on the system for the night before. But there was no problem, the room was free for when we wanted it at the same rate and the gowns would be provided.
On arrival at the hotel, the booking error had not been rectified, and we were told that we were lucky that the Manager had not charged us a cancellation fee 'this time' as we had been previous customers. Up to the room - Hamilton - where the balcony door had warped and was hard to close, the shower drain was slow to clear and some of the furniture, specifically a low table - was shabby. And the gowns were not to be seen, so we asked for them again. Later that day they had still not appeared, so we went and got them ourselves, although they were without belts.
At 8.30 the following morning there was no hot water, and when we called down to see what the problem was we were told that the boiler hadn't switched on but would heat up in a couple of hours. There was no apology for any inconvenience. At breakfast the kippers were undercooked. And finally, at checkout we were charged the full instead of the agreed rate, and after complaining were told that the Manager had agreed 'to honour it this time'. That 'this time' again. We asked if management had changed recently and were told that it had, which came as no surprise.
Not only were we given poor customer service but there was a more disturbing air of arrogance without apology or any admission of responsibility for the wrongly booked date, the lack of hot water, the undercooked breakfast or the missing gowns.
We hope future management can restore the previous high standard of customer service to the Royal.

3  Thank bbjazz
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Due to the age of the building, the hotel's owners would have to invest a fortune to fix all their legacy issues (e.g. plumbing). The management & staff are doing the best job they can with resources available. The common areas are very tired, but the rooms have been recently redecorated and are perfectly decent right now.

The standard of accommodation in Deal is pretty low, and I feel the Royal hotel would benefit from stiffer competition.

For example, we found it bizarre that there was no room service when the hotel has 2 restaurants! The standard of in-room cleaning was also a little lacking on occasion.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms may suffer from noise due to current works on the beach to improve sea defences. Al...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a lovely stay , gorgeous room, even though weather rubbish and their were big trucks on beach doing maintenance,it didn't effect our stay, breakfast tummy and very friendly staff, world certainly go back.

1  Thank Skev
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed in one of the family rooms, which was big, bed was great, nice little TV, food was great. my only downfall would be that we could hear every noise above us. As the building is very old, the floor boards make an a lot of noise, was worken up at about midnight and again at 7am due to noise above.

But apart from that i really liked it, and would return if i ever stayed in Deal

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Londonmillwall
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We had a family wedding this weekend the staff and managment are fantastic i loved the room we all had a great time i didnt wont 2 go home we are defo goin bk for our 20th wedding ann thanks food was very good i loved chillin in the bar after the wedding

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The service that my wife and I received from the moment we set foot in the hotel was tremendous.We spent three wonderful nights in the Bronte room, it was well appointed...plenty of room, with a huge bed and a large bathroom. The hotel itself sits right on the seafront with great views towards France; it has a bar area and a restaurant that serve really good food ... the breakfast was lovely and plentiful. If you fancy eating elsewhere there are some lovely restaurants serving up a range of dishes from bistro style to classical and there is also a nice Thai and Indian all within walking distance.
The hotel is listed and as a result only has single glazing so you do get some noise but we found it didn't stop a good nights sleep. It is a small hotel with bags of atmosphere and character.
We will return to this gem sometime in the future and I sincerely hope that Danny and his team are still there to tend to our every need, Michelle is the friendliest and most efficient receptionist I have came in contact with; James, Reece and all of the young staff are a credit to the owners... there focus is completely on customer satisfaction, they exceeded my expectations !

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms face the sea and are quieter, the room we styed in is a corner room with a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank crusaderMurcia_spain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
Waterfront Hotel
#5 of 10 in Ramsgate
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 12 in Margate

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!