“Nicely refurbished”
Review of The Five Bells

The Five Bells
Ranked #4 of 13 Deal B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I expect most of their customers are like us, needing to catch a night's sleep before an early ferry to France. They've done a very good job refurbishing and modernising an old village pub, and our room was in perfect condition. While the pub is on the main road from Dover to Deal, it's not as busy as the roads from the west feeding the motorway traffic in to Dover, and we didn't have any problem with traffic noise. (The windows were double-glazed anyway).

As Thursday was curry night, we had butternut squash and sweet potato curry and nann bread in the bar; well presented pub grub at a reasonable price. Sadly they no longer have hand pumps, so I had a bottle of cold Spitfire; reasonable price for that too. The buffet breakfast was fine; my wife particularly enjoyed the coffee.

One drawback is they don't have a car park. Ringwould appears to be a very sleepy Kent village, so there was no problem parking right outside the door to unload, and I found a slot further up the lane without too much difficulty.

They were a bit naughty taking the £60 room fee off my credit card when I booked rather than waiting until we had spent the night there.

Room Tip: We had room 1, but the layout of the block appeared to me to make them all pretty similar.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaguarEnthusiast

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Im hard on reviews when i parting with my money, i cannot fault this delightfull place well worth every penny. will defo return thankyou, just like to mention the beer is kept so well,which is hard to find nowadays

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank chrissarah1
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed last night and had a great time with the managers Tony and John. Thank-you for making us feel so welcome. Our food was well presented, and tasty. The menu is a little limited, but the hosts can be forgiven for this. We didnt have time for breakfast as we had an early start.
We would definately stay againn, if they'll have us!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David c C
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I booked 2 nights at the the Five Bells as my wife and I were taking a day trip to France and thought that it would be nice to stay in the Dover area rather than face the M25 after a long day. The Pub/Inn is easy to find, and got a great welcome from Tony and John. The room 4 which was clean,tidy and contained everything that you expect. The bar is spacious but quiet. The locals do not seem to have taken to having a drink of an evening. The first night we decided to eat in the Pub and the food was OK. The Steak and Ale pie was tasty and my Wife said that her curry was tasty although missing a nan bread as they had run out. As mentioned in other reviews the pub is near the main Deal to Dover road so some traffic noise is to be expected. We were off to France early so we had a breakfast tray delivered which was fine - no instant coffee to be seen.

Off we went to France. Got back in the evening to find that our room hadn't been cleaned, our breakfast tray taken from the room nor the tea-coffee facilities replenished. We fancied a nightcap so I took the 'dirts' to the bar and got fresh cups to take back. Also, my wife wanted a cointreau but they didn't have any and overheard another guest ask for something that they didn't have.

I think that this is the first time I have stayed anywhere that didn't make up the room. There really is a need for a housekeeper. If they are going to rely on guests staying at the hotel rather than drinkers then this needs to be sorted out. Also, I know this is a minor grinch, but the loo roll is the very cheap thin stuff and should be replaced with better quality as so not to use so much!

The breakfast was average. I think that all rooms coming at once meant that it was a bit of a free-for-all and Tony was working hard to keep everyone happy. Again, there were signs of corners being cut (value yoghurts for example, and not butter pretending to be butter) which just taints the whole experience.

I really wish Tony and John well as they were both extremely friendly and hardworking but there is still a way to go.

Room Tip: Room 4 is good as it is away from the main road
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scottjobyfleet
Reviewed May 5, 2013

+: This hotel is a good place near Deal and the country side. Room 'dover' is very convenient for a family with 3 kids.
Breakfast is ok and starts at 8 pm.
- : room is near road, so it's a bit noisy with cars passing often

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I booked “The Five Bells” for a 2 night stay. We received a lovely welcome when we arrived. There was no car park but we could just park across the road. Our suite/apartment looked great on the first sight but if you looked a bit closer you could see a lot of dust and the cooking appliances where dirty. The bedroom was towards the road and it was very noisy when opening the window by night. Apart from that – the apartment was spacious, the bed linen high quality and the shower really nice! However, I recommend for the future more attention to detail in terms of cleaning and maintenance of the apartment. We decided to eat in the restaurant on our first night. The cheese board was lovely but my main wasn´t great at all with cold chips (still frozen inside) and tasteless fish. That could be improved as well! We decided to drive to Deal on the 2nd night and had a lovely Indian dinner! Be aware that the included breakfast was just cereals and toast with Jam – the first time I experienced in the UK such a low standard breakfast - but you can purchase a bacon roll or Full English if you want to. We didn´t as we thought it was quite expensive. All in all it was just an average experience I´m afraid. The owners are lovely and the pub very modern and nice. However, in terms of service there is quite a bit room for improvement! Good luck for the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Friendly service and comfortable rooms are simply not enough to tempt us back to this establishment. Their food is a major problem and leaves very much to be desired. As the pub sits in a small village with no competition from other restaurants, we decided to dine in. A big mistake! I ordered fish, thinking it would be straight from the sea, not the freezer. Billed as battered cod with lemon and tartare sauce, it turned out to be plaice with a thin layer of crumbled batter so dry and hard it was difficult to cut. There was no lemon - they didn't have any! - and the tartare sauce arrived in a plastic sachet. This cost £10.95. My daughter's vegetable curry was absolutely pitiful - extremely small amount, tasteless, and served with one piece of dry pitta bread - all for £11.95. Outrageous prices for a complete lack of any culinary competence or effort. After the dinner and a terrible night - noisy voices from the bar and inevitable indigestion - the miserable 'continental breakfast' came as no surprise. Cheap cereals, seedy looking bananas, thin processed sliced bread, weak tea, instant coffee - need I say more? I was amazed to discover that our hosts had considerable past experience in the catering world, so they had absolutely no excuse for offering such lamentable near inedible food. Never again!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JaneDBond
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deal
3 mi away
Premier Inn Dover East Hotel
King's Head Deal
King's Head Deal
#2 of 13 in Deal

Been to The Five Bells? Share your experiences!