“A good place to”

Ranked #5 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Deal
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

To make the most of your visit to this gem you need to re-align your expectations; see the extra time waiting for your order as an opportunity to relax, appreciate the charming bric-a-brac it is served up in, and then realise that few things in this life matter when you need to pay. An antidote to eating out everywhere else.

There are newer reviews for The Black Douglas Coffee House

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Interesting,quirky little place with wonderful selection of cakes and bakes(what we'd gone in for) However,although our tea and coffee arrived promptly,I waited and waited for my cake to arrive,went up to the counter twice to check on it and when it did show up,had been microwaved to heat it-not good for a Clafoutis!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The best tea and cake I've ever had. You know when you've been out walking much of the afternoon and your mouth's as dry as gravel and you're dying for a tea, well we managed to sneak in here just before 5 for a pot of tea and shared a slice of apple and almond cake. Shared. My first big mistake. And I don't have much of a sweet tooth either. Mismatched teas and saucers add charm as do the wire taxidermy sculptures hanging from the walls. My second mistake was not staying the night and coming for dinner in the evening - that'll be next. A friendly, tightly run ship that's warm, welcoming and appears to have a nice sun trap out back when it's dry. As for my final mistake: Not asking if I could buy a whole cake. I will next time.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The place sells coffee but not to eat there would be to miss out. They do perhaps the best breakfast you'll ever taste (you wont even notice they don't do bacon). All the food is excellent and is really well presented. Yes the service can be a tad slow but if you're in a hurry there's a McDonalds in Dover, go there instead. Take a paper, get a pot of tea, sit back and take in the atmosphere, there's little of no phone signal either so you might even be forced to talk to the others there.
Did I mention the breakfast by the way? I'm not joking - it's that good!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our review is based on a quick visit for morning coffee and cake.
This quirky establishment caught our eye when we parked on the Deal seafront. Several people appeared to be enjoying their food and drinks. We just had coffee, as we wanted it made, in non matching mugs and saucers and a slice of excellent cake. Service was fine for us and the food and drink good.