“Fantastic coffee and food, great atmosphere, lovely staff”

The Black Douglas Coffee House
Ranked #42 of 113 Restaurants in Deal
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I love the coffee and the cakes and the eccentric nature of it - definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Was recommended the black Douglas so decided to go here for lunch today, almost everything on the menu had goats cheese on it. Not good if you don't like goats cheese.

Everyones food was average.

Service was poor, staff were not attentive and seemed more interested in discussing their hangovers than serving their customers.

When it came to paying we had to recount our whole order rather than the waiter looking at the bill.

Suffice to say we won't be recomending the black Douglas to anyone.

1  Thank justinj20011979
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Ate here for the first time today for breakfast. Nice coffee and friendly atmosphere, very comfortable. Was a good cure for my hangover. Food took a while to come out but that's because everything was cooked properly and very well indeed. Our compliments to the chef.
It's a little on the pricey side, hence only 3 stars.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Liked the set up inside and atmosphere but the waiter got the order wrong and when the pizzas were eventually delivered we were in or a surprise. Think of the cheapest frozen pizza you have bought and cooked in the oven at home. That was the standard, dry and wooden, lacking any flavour. To be honest this won't upset the chef as I can't believe there is one operating there. Will we be back. No. Avoid this place.

1  Thank Realtrueopinion
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Full English was served with walnut bread (atypical ingredients in a Full English???). My best friends killer. He has an unfortunate and extreme allergy to nuts. This was not mentioned on the menu and when this was swiflty bought to the manageress' attention she showed absolutely no sign of acknowledgment or responsibility.

Before I rushed my friend to A&E she had the audacity to add 'You've just got two free breakfasts out of me'. I couldn't believe the insensitivity. Had she shown more consideration I probably would have let this incident go. But she was so cold, rude and uncaring I never want to go back again. Luckily, my friend survived but we missed the ceremony of our best friends wedding!!!!

Needless to say we partied our arses off at the reception to celebrate a double whammy. Our friend's holy matrimony and his survival!!!

5  Thank sushi_suzi