“Poor and disappointing food.”
Review of The Clarendon Hotel - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Clarendon Hotel
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Pub
Deal, Kent.
“Poor and disappointing food.”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went to The Clarendon for a drink, with a view to eating some lunch. It was not busy, and that should have rang an alarm bell. The menu describes the food as 'locally sourced' and 'home made'. None of what we were served looked or tasted fresh, local or home made, although to be fair there are a number of supermarkets close by to source the ingredients and I suppose it was all warmed up in somebody's home. I opted for the surf and turf-a sirloin steak and half a lobster served with the home made chips, mushrooms and tomato. The steak was well enough cooked, but that is as complimentary as I can be. The 1/2 lobster was rubbery and dry (I don't believe it was caught just off the Goodwin Sands, unless it was thrown out of a supermarket and caught by the cook), the chips had the look, taste and texture of frozen chips, and the rest was just garnish. My wife's pork belly served with bubble and squeak and a balsamic gravy was equally poor. The pork was dried out and tasteless, the bubble was two pats of a potato like substance, and the gravy still had powdery lumps in it.
I ate my food and my wife did her best but the plates were not cleaned. Why, one might ask not complain at the time? This is a family run establishment, and I suspect that any amount of complaints will not make the cook (can't bring myself to write chef) do anything any differently. I feel that The Clarendon could do so much better with a little more care taken on the food. It does have a great location and is a lovely building, but there is no excuse for such poor food. We did not stay there so cannot comment on the accommodation.
We will not be eating there again.

2 Thank Smalltree

Kent
“Enjoyed Our Lunch.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went into the Clarendon on bank holiday monday,found the staff friendly and helpful.Food was both hot,plentiful and very good.We all had a different choice,and would certainly go again.

• Visited May 2013
United Kingdom
“disgusting”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

A Roast Beef Sunday carvey with a pubic hair in the Yorkshire pudding(found towards the end of the meal) is not my idea of a good lunch . The food was lukewarm swamped in gravy. We were not charged for two roast dinners but had to pay for drinks..make up your own mind!! Maybe we had an unlucky experience, we never made a fuss but the attitude of staff was dismal.

Visited September 2012
“call in when u pass by. we enjoyed the experience and recommend.”
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

first visit. loved it and will go again. loved the smell as u entered of the wood burner and everything else was 10 out of 10. great. meal was good value and will return as live recently moved to the area. beats the BoHo next door by miles.

“Absolute rubbish”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I went there with my family for lunch recently and the food was terrible. The service was really bad and slow. It took a long time for the food to come out and when it was burnt. When we complained the manager had apparently said there was nothing wrong and would not come out to speak to us. What a manager should do !. They agreed to take the two horrible meals off the bill but only after we persisted with our complaint. I will never go there again or recommend anyone else to. We were never asked if everything was ok and the staff are very un professional and rude. A lovley family get together was ruined by this awful place.

• Visited March 2013