Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews english heritage audio guide henry viii information boards worth a visit tudor rose free parking car park couple of hours different levels interesting visit interesting history sunny day sea front tunnel moat cannon
Reviewed 1 week ago

Loving castle to explore and should only take you around an hour. Do this at the same time as Walmer Castle which is 5mins down the road. Both castles were adjoined via a wall.

You pay for parking but they give you your money back when you purchase your ticket. The basement tends to flood, so gumboots are supplied inside.

2  Thank MelBTravelblog
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Deal Castle was built by Henry VIII to deter the French from invading. It is in mint condition and has been very little altered since being built. The ingenious yet elegant design takes into account the use of cannon and musket, unlike earlier castles.
You can't visit Deal without seeing the castle. It's synonymous with the town.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Of the three castles - Dover, Deal and Walmer - this is the least interesting. On a nice day - which we had, sitting on the terrace is very pleasant. It is a bit small, but the staff were very good. We were just about the first to arrive, and Ben gave us plenty of useful information. Glo is a bit claustrophobic, and was unsure about walking in the tunnels of the basement - not much to see anyway. However, one of the guides offered to come with us "with his torch", which proved very useful.

If you have an hour or two spare, pop in - esp if you are English Heritage members - otherwise confine you visit to Walmer and Dover.

1  Thank gloandbob
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Popped in as I was in the area. Pretty expensive for quite a short visit. Not much except lots of empty rooms. They have tried to give some information, but there isn't much unless you also buy the guide book (of course). Kids will love the creepy tunnels and the battlements. It's weirdly easy to get disorientated and lost inside. Pleasant enough, but don't make a special trip, unless you're castle-bagging the many fortifications on this coast.

1  Thank LilyRosePig
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Deal castle itself is lovely to visit but I felt it would have been much better had there been some exhibits. The rooms were just empty and I didn't think the £8 entry fee was value for money. I've since been told that Walmer castle is better.

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Fascinating circular shape built of stone with flint in the mortar, for defensive reasons. Very interesting inside with displays about the long history from the time of HenryVIII to WW2. Well worth a visit

Reviewed October 4, 2018

We arrived at Deal castle not really knowing what to expect, the ladies in the shop were very helpful . I received student discount and my mother who is blind paid for her entrance but my grandad got in for free as my mother's carer. They told us if we signed up for a year we got entrance into all the sites in UK for the one price we paid today being £46 For me and £56 For mum. Considering we were planing on going to Dover castle also and had expected to £10 each for Deal and £22 For Dover we spent the same money but have places to visit for a year!
Back to the castle, most of it is gone now and the bit that is left is a kind of weird tower I guess. It is round and on a few levels but you can go through a tunnel all round it at ground level. Great fun for kids. There is lots of info about the castle and Henry VIII. It is not the best of castles but on a nice day the views are amazing and there is the sea front nearby so you can have a picnic and enjoy the location however on a chilly day

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

If you are looking to choose between nearby Walmer castle & Deal for me there is no contest,go to Walmer.I found Deal a bit disjointed & no where near as polished. So much more information & things to see at Walmer.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

The building is a great example of Henry's castle design and is well worth a walk around.
However it is rather lacking in anything of interest on the inside. Don't expect to spend very long here, especially with children. We took two grandsons one age 11 one 3 & 1/2. They both enjoyed a walk around, the younger one liked the audio guides at points around the castle. The older one liked the passageways below the main rooms and the view from the battlements, which gives a panoramic view of the coastline to Thanet and across the channel.

Reviewed October 1, 2018

Undoubtedly the roundest castle I've ever seen anywhere in the world. To be found on the sea front at Deal it's well worth taking the opportunity to wander on around it as best you can - well worth even such a viewing experience from the road or sea front if you're in the area.