“Wonderful! !!!”

The Hare & Hounds
Ranked #60 of 112 Restaurants in Deal
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the heart of the Kent countryside, The recently refurbished Hare and Hounds, Northbourne offers an exciting locally sourced menu, an excellent international wine list and expertly kept real ales.Built in 1628, the Hare & Hounds is situated in a small village between Dover, Deal, Sandwich & Canterbury. Northbourne is the Home of Lord Northbourne and family to whom the Queen mother was a regular visitor. All of our food is carefully prepared from fresh locally sourced ingredients in our new kitchen. Our chefs make every dish from scratch, and nothing is bought in pre-made or prepared: no shortcuts, and no compromises. Children’s portions of all meals are available at a reduced cost. Please ask for more information.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A fantastic sunday lunch.... food and atmosphere was fantastic and the dark haired waitress was so attentive and a asset to your front of house staff..... keep up the good work

There are newer reviews for The Hare & Hounds

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife, daughter and I were staying in the area for a week, and for one reason or another ended up eating here on 3 occasions, Steak night, Burger night & Sunday Roast.
First let me say the service, ambiance, atmosphere etc were very good. All in all a nice country pub with friendly staff and we enjoyed our visits.
So to take each meal individually, 1st we did Sunday Roast, my daughter had chicken...she loved it, my wife rib of beef, so did she. My Topside of beef was fatty and slightly less impressive. Also the yorkshire puddings were a bit stodgey...packet maybe? Otherwise a nice meal.
Burger night, great...couldn't fault it, good burgers, lots of food, nice onion rings, chips etc. Finally Steak night, my daughter loved her butterfly chicken, and she's fussy! My wife and I had Rib-Eye steaks at £13 a head with a carafe of red wine. The red wine was actually very acceptable...not the usual freebie firewater. I had "fatboy" chips, very nice, and my wife had saute potatoes, which she said were more like flat chips...ok but not saute!
The steaks whilst very good, especially for the price were not exeptional, I've tasted better juicier pieces of beef.
Some of the other highlights were the desserts...great sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice cream and the definete low point a black pudding stack with goats cheese. Gristle laden black pudding and cold goats cheese, very unpalletable!
But overall I dont want to knock this place. Its a friendly pub in a very rural community doing very good food (in the main) at very reasonable prices If they'd just up their game by about 10-15%, it would definetely be 5 stars!

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Lovely pub restaurant, friendly warm service. They seemed a little slow on service with a very full restaurant. My burger was superb and my wife's steak excellent. Great value too!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor we were looking forward to a first-time visit to The Hare & Hounds for Saturday lunch. We can't fault the food, which was exceptional, extremely filling and obviously cooked to order. However, the service was verging on inadequate. We were sitting at our table for ten minutes before we were even offered a menu and once the food was ordered it was a further forty-five minutes before it arrived at our table. At no point were we offered an explanation for the wait (it certainly wasn't busy) and even a friendly apology for the wait wasn't given when the food finally did arrive. Had an apology been forthcoming at any point during our visit then the overall rating would definitely be a 4. We would visit again, in the hope that perhaps it was just a lack of staff rather than a lack of customer service; the food was gorgeous and good value for money.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

i visited the hare and hounds this week, it was the best meal ive had in a long time, food was amazing and the service was okay.

Been to The Hare & Hounds? Share your experiences!