“Best bang for the buck”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Best bang for the buck”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I can't sing enough praises about The Orchard House Bed and Breakfast. The hosts are extremely accommodating, the rooms are large and beautifully decorated and the entire house is very clean. I personally love the antiques that are well positioned througout the house. The beds are comfortable and the freshly made breakfast is prepared at the time you request. The grounds are beautiful and guests are encourage to stroll the grounds. The farm experience was fun for the both of us and i can imagine that children would really enjoy petting and feeding the friendly rescued animals.

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms are recommended.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Highland, Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The farm experience is worth while --especially for kids and families. Be warned that the goats and sheep jump up on you to get the food--like a dog would--no harm--but you will get dirty.

Very nice hosts, comfy bed and linens. Our room had a bath down the hall--but very quiet and private.

Great, homemade breakfast, wine/cheese and fresh baked cookies.

Room Tip: Review which has the hallway bath--you need a robe to get to just THAT one (of the three)
Green Features: Did not note but seemingly knowledgeable. I'm sure they recycle and re-use--they also own an antique store.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Wonderful B&B with comfortable rooms, excellent furnishings, and fun farm animals. Loved the decor--I'll be checking out the antique store run by the owners. Large common areas are a real plus: Guests can relax in three large areas on the first floor, and also enjoy the outdoors, in addition to their rooms. Hosts Don and Andrew are very welcoming and happy to accommodate special requests!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently came to the B&B for a weekend. The house is beautiful and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. The wine and cheese hour was a nice way to get to meet the others that were also staying. I would definitely recommend The Orchard House to others!

• Stayed April 2014
Westerville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were offered a night's stay as I am a veteran and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were tucked away from everything but close enough to enjoy what the area had to offer. The place is very lovely inside and nice and quiet. They had treats made for the guests and a very nice wine and cheese hour and selection. Breakfast was terrific, too!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I arrived ten minutes till check in time..which is 3:00..when arrived there was no one around so we waited till finally Don came and greeted us...we were quickly showed around as if they had other things to do....we didn't feel very welcome. Our room was nice and was clean and so the other rooms were too as we took a quick peek. The rest of the house was so so with baby chickens in a cage where you watch TV was a little strange and some areas in the house that need some serious cleaning up! The grounds around the house needed cleaned up as well...limbs, trash, junk, chicken coops, etc. This is not good advertising for guests!

• Stayed April 2014
GoOrchardHouse, Owner at Orchard House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I would like to address a couple of your comments, however.

Our check-in is listed as from 3 PM to 6 PM. I returned home at 3:05 after being delayed at the grocery store. I apologized to you and gave our usual quick orientation. I apologize if I seemed rushed, it was not my intent. I was understandably flustered that I was late for check-in and had several bags of groceries waiting in the car.

I must note that you stayed with us at back end of an extremely long, cold winter which has not abetted. This fact explains some of the aspects which you found disconcerting.

For example, the Silky chicks were in the parlor near the television due to the nights still being freezing. They are being moved outside now that the weather is more consistent. Our guests today actually found them quite a charming aspect, sitting in the room with them and reading while they chirped!

I am surprised you found a common area of the house inside that was not clean, as most of our guests have mentioned our level of cleanliness as being high. Given the muddy outside, there may have been some expected mud on the floor from guest shoes.

The only room I can imagine you may have felt was unkempt was our screened in porch, which for the reason of the long, cold winter, has been closed to guests and used for some storage, so yes, if you had looked there, it would have been in need of cleaning up. It will re-open in a guest ready state once the weather is consistently warm.

Finally, the state of the grounds is also directly related to the long, cold and now wet winter/early spring that we have been having, as there simply has not been enough warm, dry days to give the grounds the TLC they have needed. We do have an area near our private residence with some junk, but that is because we are waiting for the township's dumpsters to be available for large refuse during cleanup week this spring. We apologize that the condition of the grounds did not meet your expectations...we wish you could see them a month from now when Spring is in bloom!

The chicken coop, though, is part of the fact that we are a working farm, with 60+ animals, which is the draw for most of our guests.

We are just two guys with 60+ animals, a four month old baby, a B&B, a magazine and an antique store. We do our best to present a beautiful place and provide good hospitality while respecting the privacy of our guests. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations, and hope you give us another chance when the weather has warmed and the beauty of the property can be fully appreciated.
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 4, 2014

After passing up their driveway and doing a u-turn, we came upon the Orchard House and felt a moment of trepidation. The just-thawed snow left a muddy gravel drive and rather messy looking sidewalk leading us to this somewhat spooky looking house. I said to my daughter, "Well, B&B's are all about adventure...it got great reviews." We were immediately greeted by one of the owners and swiftly shown our room and the common spaces of the house. We were charmed straight away.

The antiques and art were truly unique. No granny-ish, stuffy feeling here--the house was totally hip and full of delights for the eye. Our room (the Barbizon) had a particularly large bathroom for an old home (it was completely redone and modern) with a double sink, make-up table, shower, etc. all with glistening white tile and an immaculate feeling. Our king bed was incredibly comfortable and inviting.

As we were the only guests on this night, we had no noise to contend with...except a very insistent rooster (all right already....it's 9am...we get it!) who we were happy was on the BACK side of the house away from us :) Breakfast was truly delicious--amazing French toast with some cream cheese inside...yum! I cherished the owner apologizing for the loud noises of their donkey the night before (we didn't hear it)...not something you discuss over breakfast every day!

Like a previous winter reviewer, we didn't see much of the owners, but they have a four-month old child and a farm and B&B to run. We passed up the wine and cheese time to take in Granville and explore. That would have been our time to get to know them a bit better. They seem like great guys.

The highlight: before my daughter's college tour, we decided to take a little morning stroll around the farm. After looking in the rabbit hutches I began to walk toward the llamas. That aforementioned rooster had different ideas. He flew at my calf about four times--it was funny and a little scary and my daughter was in a paralyzed fit of laughter as I tried to beat my retreat. The owner said, "He's territorial, but not vicious...he might go for you just one more time..." OMG...he kept coming...we kept laughing (honestly, I think I was shrieking a little). Hilarious. Recommend. Bring earplugs and hip waders to neutralize rooster :)

Room Tip: Barbizon...nice king...away from animals' morning noises :)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank andirose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granville
The Granville Inn
Cherry Valley Lodge
#3 of 3 in Newark
Hampton Inn Heath-Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio

Been to Orchard House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!