“Stunning Experience”

Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Let's not beat about the bush, this is the best restaurant experience I've had .. ever.

One of only 5 restaurants in Kent with a Michelin star and deserving of many more.

The most unpretentious restaurant I've ever been to. You're immediately made to feel welcome by both the front of house manager and the excellent young waiter who should be both commended (with the chef) for being part of such a wonderful experience today.

Delicious food, excellent value for money, everything was absolutely spot on. I'm hooked, Can't wait to come back. This is not just food at its best but front of house perfection as well.

1  Thank JamesReckons
There are newer reviews for Apicius

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

A small unpretentious restaurant offering superb Michelin star food at very affordable prices. Not a large menu, but well balanced and delightful flavours with a good variety of wines to accompany them. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The food is very good, not quite the depth and intensity of flavor you might expect from a Michelin starred restaurant but definitely a cut above the norm. The wine list is excellent, good wines very sensibly priced, not the usual rip off. Service is personal, friendly and completely unstuffy. This is a very good restaurant

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arranged to meet friends here as it was half way house between Bexhill & Orpington. Food was excellent and we weren't hurried in any way, so it made for a lovely relaxing lunch. Hostess very chatty which was nice and she made us to feel very welcome.

I had the cod starter and halibut main course which I thoroughly enjoyed. We all thought the food exceptional. My friend is diabetic and asked whether the chef could prepare a fresh fruit salad, which he was able to do.

All in all a lovely lunch and would certainly recommend.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I expected a lot from a restaurant with a Michelin star. Apicius has just seven tables; there isn't room for any more, but it provides for cosy accommodation. The tablecloth was nicely ironed, the cutlery and glassware gleaming, but the decor is.... missing. It's an old building, so not much has been done with the interior decor.
The owner and hostess was friendly and welcoming, despite the fact that my partner and I arrived well before our friends. We were provided with a drink and possibly the smallest bread rolls I have ever seen. A nice touch is the choice of salted or unsalted butter on cool stones.
So far so underwhelming.
But the most important thing is the food. The menu contains only a handful of dishes for each course. Fussy eaters may be hard-pressed to find a dish they are completely happy with. But there is no doubting the quality of the food. Each dish is impeccably prepared and presented. The wine list, ironically, contains more entries than the menu and our choice of a 2008 Meerlust at £40 went down a treat.
I chose the Oxtail main course, but saw no reason to rate it higher than good. The same applied to the Quail starter and apple charlotte dessert. There was nothing particular to criticise, but I suppose I was expecting the sort of Wow factor I have experienced at other restaurants and didn't find it here.
The total bill came to about £350 for the four of us including a 12.5% gratuity. At the price, there are much better dining experiences around.

4  Thank Christopher D