“Excellent lunch”

Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arranged to meet friends here as it was half way house between Bexhill & Orpington. Food was excellent and we weren't hurried in any way, so it made for a lovely relaxing lunch. Hostess very chatty which was nice and she made us to feel very welcome.

I had the cod starter and halibut main course which I thoroughly enjoyed. We all thought the food exceptional. My friend is diabetic and asked whether the chef could prepare a fresh fruit salad, which he was able to do.

All in all a lovely lunch and would certainly recommend.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I expected a lot from a restaurant with a Michelin star. Apicius has just seven tables; there isn't room for any more, but it provides for cosy accommodation. The tablecloth was nicely ironed, the cutlery and glassware gleaming, but the decor is.... missing. It's an old building, so not much has been done with the interior decor.
The owner and hostess was friendly and welcoming, despite the fact that my partner and I arrived well before our friends. We were provided with a drink and possibly the smallest bread rolls I have ever seen. A nice touch is the choice of salted or unsalted butter on cool stones.
So far so underwhelming.
But the most important thing is the food. The menu contains only a handful of dishes for each course. Fussy eaters may be hard-pressed to find a dish they are completely happy with. But there is no doubting the quality of the food. Each dish is impeccably prepared and presented. The wine list, ironically, contains more entries than the menu and our choice of a 2008 Meerlust at £40 went down a treat.
I chose the Oxtail main course, but saw no reason to rate it higher than good. The same applied to the Quail starter and apple charlotte dessert. There was nothing particular to criticise, but I suppose I was expecting the sort of Wow factor I have experienced at other restaurants and didn't find it here.
The total bill came to about £350 for the four of us including a 12.5% gratuity. At the price, there are much better dining experiences around.

4  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed October 4, 2013

A lovely visit for my Birthday lunch. Very chatty, interesting and welcoming hostess.
Fantastic menu and a truly lovely lunch.
Highlights were the gorgeous meat dishes, lovely presentation and a truly perfect cheese selection. A highlight of a lovely time in the South.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Apicius is one of those hidden gems. Kent is now well-provided with Michelin-starred restaurants, so for foodies it's a great place to live, but it is still possible to eat in these places at sensible prices.

We have been to Apicius four or five times, and so this review is overdue. We went for my husband's birthday and persuaded someone to taxi us there and back. The ambience is good: the front of house/maitre d/dammit, I really don't know what to call her but she is great - makes it.

I like that they only do one sitting and stagger the bookings so you never feel hurried and you get served at the right time, without having to wait too long.

And in passing, let me mention the toilets. Yes, I know, you don't go to a restaurant for the restrooms, but I bet there have been times when you too found the facilities so gruesome you decided not to go again, no matter how good the food was. Anyway, the loos are lovely, clean, pretty, strangely appealing. Not that I want to eat in there mind you.

The restaurant itself is one medium-sized room which is quite open. The food is so good I never know what to choose, but apparently saying "one of each please" makes you look greedy, so I haven't dared - yet. The cheeses, by the way, are all exceptionally well-kept and as the wine list is a delight, you could find yourself here for the whole evening

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My Mum and I dined here last Friday evening, it is always a pleasure, both the food and the service are faultless.
I started with the scallops with cauliflower puree and black pudding crisps. The crisps were a first but I am sure they will pop up in other establishments as they were a good concept and first class! The starter worked well together as this is a tried and tested combination but as often with Timothy there is a spcial twist!!
I then opted for the poached and roasted rump of lamb which was a delight.
for pudding I opted for the Warm Bramley Apple Charlotte Honeycomb, Crème Fraîche Ice Cream & Toffee Sauce - ths was just simply amazing.
I did suggest a second one but Faith said not to over indulge myself.
So I guess I shall have to hope that its still on the menu on my next visit......