“Lovely Hotel - Amateur Staff”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranbrook
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel - Amateur Staff”
Reviewed March 17, 2008

The Hotel was lovely and our room was nicely decorated, however the staff were appalling. I had fallen in love with the hotel as it was totally my style of decor etc.
The room we had was a little small but tastefully furnished although the bathroom was very small but manageable.
On the evening we were there we sat in the lobby bar area before we headed down the road to the local Michelin Starred restaurant (which was excellent by the way!!!). The evening was going well but then I happened to witness the staff coming and going!! - A discussion took place between 2 young men and the gist of the conversation was not pleasant to hear!
There appeared to be no management control over any of the staff there whatsoever.
The next morning things got worse. Breakfast was a painful comedy of errors! The table of cereals contained more used and empty boxes that full ones, the OJ and milk wasperpetually empty and not once was this table of breakfast goodies ever checked by any of the numerous members of staff. All the guests were constantly having to ask for things several times over. We waited 35 minutes for our beans on toast and bacon roll. Not once did I see anyone clear any tables throughout the mornings service - everythign was left and cleared at the end! None of the staff seemed to know what they were doing - a chap came out of the kitchen with 2 plates of food and asked what table it was for! It is such a shame as this could be a lovely place but I am worried that with the current staff will alient even the most tolerant of traveller.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — the staff and their amateur behaviour
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shazhal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Our room (Aurum) was nice, airy and bright but the bed is not a king size as stated on the website, it was uncomfortable with a thin matress and hard sponge pillows. The tea and coffee provided is Tetley/Nescafe and UHT milk. Small touches such as a few other tea/coffee options, fresh milk, some bedside tissues, not providing the cheapest toilet roll possible etc would have made this hotel so much nicer, and worth the money. The bathroom was clean, but the shower didn't work (was literally an intermittant dribble). Strangely though, the shower seemed to turn itself on during the night, so 3 times we had to get up to turn it off. I did tell the staff on check out about the shower and they apologised and promised to get it looked at.
The restaurant was very atmospheric, the staff were friendly and helpful if a little lacking in knowledge and other staff to help. We waited 30 minutes at our table before even being asked if we'd like a drink. Luckily we weren't in a rush. I ordered the lamb which was too tough to eat, I did let the waitress know. My other half ordered the beef which was amazing so maybe the lamb was an unfortunate mistake.
All in all this hotel is overpriced for what it offers and we had a fairly poor quality of stay so we definitely won't be going back. I think this is a shame as the hotel is very pretty and could be so much more with the right management.

• Liked — cosy warm atmosphere
  • Disliked — uncomfortable and disrupted nights sleep
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dims57
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Fantastic Hotel, with great rooms and warm atmosphere, with all the modern amennities.

Let me just tell you about my hotel history, I've spent 75% of the last 2 years in Hotels across, the UK, Europe and Middle East.
I usually stay in a chain hotel such as Premier Inn, Raddisson, Holiday Inn, Le Meridien ect ect. The George is probley the best hotel ive stayed in. Loved it that much been there twice.

The BAD: It is tight for Parking, and a little bit of patience is required entering/exiting hotel car park. The Food isn't as good as the hotel seems to think it is and is overpriced for the portions, i had a 3 course meal and still had room. but there is a lovely resturant 100yards down the road, and a traditional Indian across the road.

The GOOD: Lovley choice of rooms with lots of indivudulism to cater every taste, modern TV and bathroom facilitiess, Rooms are clean and feel fresh and unused. Staff are very helpful and friendly and seem to go that extra mile. Free internet access in the downstairs lounge/bar.

The WINNER: The Deco and History, you can't beat it along with its central location. Romantic in Winter, Relaxing in the Summer.

• Liked — The Hotels Deco and Style
  • Disliked — The Food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kasim999
london uk
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We had a fantastic stay. The room, though small, was well-decorated and everything was new. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom nicely done. The only problem was that the walls seemed to be quite thin and we could hear the guy staying next door snoring and also shaving in the morning. The highlight of our stay was the brasserie downstairs. We had one of the best meals. Great wine and delicious, good-quality food with a warm and friendly ambience. Waiting staff were quite attentive. I would stay here again and I would certainly recommend it to friends. One small comment would be that they could provide a few more luxuries in the room and the breakfast menu, though everyone around us seemed to have gone for the full English breakfast, could have been a bit more varied for those that don't like a cooked breakfast. Overall, a lovely experience.

• Liked — The decor of the room, the restaurant and the bar, cleanliness and restaurant.
  • Disliked — Thin walls in room, could be slightly more luxurious. Check-out time could be later than 11am.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank linahad
Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at The George Hotel in Cranbrook between Christmas and New Year for a relaxing couple of days away from it all. The room we stayed in was tastefully (if cheaply) decorated, but it was so small there was barely enough room to walk around the bed, and we had to tuck our bags into the corner of the room to avoid tripping over them. The website mentioned luxurious finishings such as fluffy towels and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries (so we didn't bother packing any shampoo or shower gel of our own) and the reality did live up to this, but the bottles of G&S toiletries were so tiny, it was barely enough for both my husband and I to use in one day. We were also very disappointed that we were not given new bottles of toiletries on the second day (presumably because there was still a smidgen left at the bottom of the bottles that we had) and found this to be somewhat "cheap". Food-wise, breakfast was included in the room rate so it was extremely good value for money. Guests may choose from a selection of cereals, toast (lovely chunky granary bread) or pastries and a cooked breakfast (delicious sausages, if only they could decide whether to serve one or two, and the chef needs to learn how to make poached eggs without cooking the entire yolk). Dinner was patchy however. I had the most wonderful shepherds pie one evening (definitely the best I have ever tasted) whereas my husband's pork belly dish was tough and chewy. The tin of warm bread that we had before our meal was delicious but the accompanying balsamic and olive oil was awful (I blame the poor quality olive oil - again, abit "cheap"). As lovers of olive oil and balsamic, both my husband and I were pretty disappointed and stuck with the margerine (honestly, it didn't taste like real butter). They seem to do the posh "pub grub" well so they should stick to that genre - their attempts at more stylish haute cuisine were fine but abit disappointing. In terms of the service, again, we found this to be patchy. The waitresses in the restaurant were extremely attentive, but we found the check-in and check-out service was poor. Considering this is a family run establishment, every impression counts. We weren't sure, but the maturer lady on the premises was possibly the owner - if this was the case, she should have been much more welcoming and cheerful - more "front-of-house" - but she just looked completely miserable the whole time.

All in all, for the rate we paid, this is a lovely hotel, and I would certainly recommend this to others, but expect what you pay for, nothing more.

• Liked — Good value for money
  • Disliked — Rooms were tiny
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
bristol
Reviewed December 18, 2007

One night stay with family in this wonderful character hotel. You can just feel the authenticy & history of the place as soon as you go in. Room we had (Aurum) was excellent and a step back in time. The owners really put themselves out to ensure our stay was a good one (even cooking home made fish fingers esp for our 2yr daughter). Food we had was top notch also. Bar area is very relaxing. Couple of minor faults - there was some rowdyness in the restaurant towards the end of our meal and after but I guess it was close to Xmas also when, we were leaving in the morning we found we were locked out of the hotel and couldn't get in with out room key. Neither spoit an excellent stay.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — rowdyness of some people in restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank philm1
Reviewed November 30, 2007

To be Seduced by a website is perhaps a little naive, however promises of "a clever fusion of period features and stylish contemporary decor' are attractive to one fatiqued by dull English hotels in search of someting more' Boutique'. The photographer has indeed worked his magic on this site.

The Mandarin room....let us take a tour...A cold room on arrival at 10.00pm at night. Hmmmm a very ecelctic mix of decor. Do we call it fusion or confusion? A canvas on the wall covered in an interesting fabric....and with a matching stool. A rare Ming Dynasty vase cleverly disguising a Ikea logo beneath holds a less than prepossessing collection of dried flowers. A strange silver lamp base stands self consciously by the bed out of character more suited to the Emirates Stadium.

The tea tray took me back somewhat to 1967. A couple of limp Tetley tea bags and plastic UHT milk....just what I felt like after the drive. I gathered that the Herbal Tisanes and Earl Grey were striclty reserved for restaurant clients....move on George, surely "the posh ones" (Tea Bags) can make it up to the rooms.

On the menu this morning ..... packet cereals......oh for organic meusli. Fresh orange juice? oh no no no (powdered orange juice cica 1972???) would a glass of sticky Cranberry juice surfice.

Young friendly staff at breakfast but could they not restrain from indulging in pop music in the early hours as they prepare the tables disturbing us on a Sunday morning at 7.30am!

Oh yes waiting time at dinner stretched even our capacity to keep up entertaining conversation.

So near and yet so far.

p.s I stress we are quite tall...

• Liked — departure
  • Disliked — arrival
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Star & Eagle Hotel
T & J Motel
#1 of 1 in Flimwell
Dale Hill Hotel and Golf Club
Weald of Kent Golf Course & Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!