“English experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“English experience”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We went to the George because it was recommended by our host and we were incredibly surprised by the quality of the food, service and value for money. The wine prices are fair and the daily specials were a real treat. The staff was very friendly and forthcoming. We recommend the shepherd's pie but make sure you have a healthy appetite, because it is a wholesome meal.

Visited July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Very Good Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The restaurant room was very nice, well presented. Very good choice on the menu, small but wide choice. The staff were attentive with out being over bearing. The meals where very good the people who had the Beef and the steaks were all cooked as requested, ranging from Very rare to medium. Cheese board very good, other deserts well received.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Quick early meal after work”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Lots to choose from, helpful staff, lovely food. Nice atmosphere with outside area, too. Breakfast also nice. Bar seemed fun and buzzy.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Pre Christmas dinner.”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Not a regular but this visit was a works do. I had lamb shank which was gorgeous. Those who had traditional Christmas dinner were dissappointed. The waitress got some of the drink orders mixed up as was some of the desserts.
The atmosphere was very genial.

Visited December 2012
Basel
“After 90 minutes our food arrived burnt, dried out and inedible”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I love the Bar and the service that I get every time I've gone to the George so I decided on the spur of the moment to take my parents for a meal there (Le Jardin was closed even though we had reserved a table).
We arrived and the staff were friendly enough, but that was about it, they said there was no chicken left after about 30 minutes of waiting and so my father had to re-order, after reminding them a few times that we were still waiting for our food and could we please have some water to accompany our wine, our food arrived after a good 90 minutes. My father received chicken (dried out, apparently they had found some somewhere), my fish had been fried so much that it was crisp all the way through and my coleslaw was inedible as it was off, the Manager refused to try it. My mothers meal was covered in a thick inedible sauce, made of what, is still unknown to us and the Manager never answered this question.
We could not eat our food so we drank the wine, went to pay, and here we were surprised as the Manager told us we only had to pay for the wine as the food was so bad, good off him, but we would have preferred good food rather than go hungry and have a wasted evening especially as I only get to come over to England a few times a year and every day I'm there counts.
The people on the table behind us were having the same problem, waiting too long, wrong food served which had to be sent back to the kitchen. I think they gave up in the end too.

Shame as I had heard good reviews a year or so ago.

• Visited May 2013