“Warm atmosphere and good soup”

The George Hotel Cranbrook Bar & Brasserie
Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Cranbrook
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 26, 2011

If it wasn't for an inedibly salty and dry salmon fillet and poor management response to this, it would have been much more satisfying. I can't remember the last time I ever left most of my food in the plate. I was offered a coffee instead but no refund. Soup was excellent.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We arrived for a late lunch. We where intially recieved warmly by a waitress who saw to our order in a timely and proffessional fashion. However, when We finished our llunch and made no further orders the Manager handed us the bill. We never asked for the bill and felt it rude that We suddenly recieved it. We registered our protest by not leaving a tip.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Tired and hungry after an afternoon at Sissinghurst we found ourselves in lovely Cranbrook and the atmospheric George Hotel Brasserie. Despite not having a reservation the staff found us a table and we ordered a simple, one course supper. A burger for me (billed as Kentish beef with crispy grilled bacon, melted cheese, gerkin etc) and the duck special for my husband. I was surprised to find that my order for a 'rare' burger was refused on the grounds that for health and safety reasons all burgers had to be well done. Definitley a first in my experience. I should have changed my order right then. But I really felt like having one. It seemed like a good restaurant so I went ahead.

What I got was an overcooked, dry and tasteless burger topped by a burned, tough inedible piece of bacon (which I had to remove). Served with a sorry teaspoonful of relish, a quarter of an under-ripe rock hard tomato, two little slices of cucumber and one tiny, harshly vinegary gerkin. No salad, no pots of slasa or relishes, no ketchup, no onions. No anything that helps make a burger the succulent, spicy, delicious feast it should be. There were chips but they tasted frozen rather than freshly cooked. And all this from a restaurant with a proper kitchen and some pretentions to fine dining.

Why make such a fuss over a burger? Because it's so easy to get it right. If you can't, then take it off the menu.

The service was very good (and apologetic). It was the first time I've ever complained in a restaurant.

3  Thank Helena R
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The young guy who owns this place {where Elizabeth 1st visited & sat in the bar/restaurant where customers now congregate} knows how to make the most of a great piece of history. He has his staff under control, which leaves them free to do their best and be able to relax and chat just a little with guests. The food is contemporary, without cheffy pretensions- thank God! No smear of '- Hand raised and crushed underfoot haricot bean sauce with blackberry overtones'. Honest, recognisable food, decent serves, LINEN napkins- just like home. Such a relief to know which animal one is eating. We went back 4 times in 7 days - and not one dud meal. Truly

1  Thank catywent
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have been to these premises before and was pleased with the meal, how ever on a return visit the service was poor the staff were to busy to stop and serve you and it took 50 minutes for them to serve two salads that were poor to say the least, we were just happy to leave. It make things very difficult when you are trying to give an older person a special day out.