“K chambers” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of West House

West House
Reserve with OpenTable
West House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Biddenden
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Headcorn.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“K chambers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked the West house for my birthday on Sunday . On arrival we had the usual warm welcome and were seated by the log burner , lovely !! , this was our 4th or 5 th visit so we know what to expect and once again we were not dissapointed , just amazing food , top service and friendly staff , we drive 70 mls for this and it's well worth it , I love the fact that graham cooks our food and always have a chat with him afterwards and thank him personally
You must try this place the food tastes amazing , well be back soon

Hampshire
“Tastebud Party Time !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

The restaurant is spotlessly clean.The atmosphere is wonderful with a very relaxed feel to it. The layout is spacious, they could have crammed in more tables if they were all about profit but they haven't which really helps with this relaxed feeling. The welcome from the staff is warm but not overpowering. The service is amazing, there was no waiting about but not at all rushed in any way. The service was spot on always with a smile and all the front of house staff were well informed with plenty of information on the food and wines and always happy to answer any questions.

The prices are high but so is the quality and you do pay for what you get in this Michelin starred restaurant. In terms of value for money I think the meal was exceptional, there is nowhere in London offering this standard of food at these prices. The food was absolutely amazing, unbelievable, excellent. My food fussy partner tried the tasting menu as it came recommended and she was really happy with it. Each course was exceptional. I particularly enjoyed the john dory whilst the foie gras what can I say, the most delicately balanced flavours of rich liver and picked rhubarb accompanied with confit duck and sliced gingerbread. Tastebud heaven ! The food is accompanied by beautiful bread and small cheese biscuits between the starter and main which were absolutely fantastic! The wines selected were spot on and made a difference to the whole taste of the individual dishes.

Not to be missed; a beautiful restaurant hidden in a tiny picturesque village that I would highly recommend to anyone again and again.

1 Thank Solitary_Trucker
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
“Un-friendly, poor service & expensive.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Despite living 5 minutes drive from the West House, I have never been. My husband decided to book a table as a surprise for my birthday.

A waiter took our coats, we sat down and we were given the menu. There was a choice of 2 set menus of 6 taster courses each or another menu consisting of a starter, main and dessert of which you had 4 choices of each course. It would have been nice if this had have been explained briefly when the menus were given to us.

A waitress came over dressed in jeans and basic long sleeve black t-shirt. She brought us bread and olives with an added extra large cough. The waitress left us to have a good cough before returning to take our order. I asked her if the 'Caesar' was an ordinary Caesar salad, she said 'yes'. I asked her opinion on the mains if she could recommend the Hake or 'Pig', she did not express any opinion or help she seemed totally dis-interested. I opted for Hake.
The starter arrived it was not what I had expected at all. The lettuce was cooked! Char-grilled or barbequed it tasted like burnt lettuce. I asked my husband to try it to see if it was just me but he agreed that it was not nice at all.
No one came over to ask how our food was. My husband finished his starter, I left all of mine. It was really horrid. The waitress returned to clear our plates and asked 'was everything alright with your meal?' I replied 'no, it was not at all what I was expecting. It really wasn't very nice!' She asked me what was wrong with it and I told her 'I was expecting a nice fresh crispy salad, which is why I asked you if it was an ordinary Caesar salad. The lettuce was cooked? It just tasted like burnt lettuce, it was not nice at all.' She said 'oh' and took the plates to the kitchen.
Our mains were then presented, which to my relief were nice. The piece of fish was adequate but there were no vegetables except four tender stems.

I will say at this point that we had finished our first round of drinks and had not been offered any more. We had to try and get someone's attention to ask for more. We are not drinkers and ended up having four Diet Cokes between us which (unbeknown to us until we were given the bill) were £4 per glass! This was actually a glass of ice and a drip of Coke. It does not cost this much in London, it does not even cost this much in Sandy Lane, Barbados. We are in Biddenden, come on! I found this quite disgusting to charge that amount. Had I have known I probably would not have ordered a drink out of principle! Where were the prices for soft drinks? It would have been nice to have known that four Cokes were going to set me back an extortionate £16!
Dessert came, it had Happy Birthday and my name on the plate which was a nice touch but did not quite have the impact it was supposed to due to the poor experience so far.
We had to get someone's attention to get the bill. As the waitress presented it to us she asked 'was everything alright with your meal?' Well I guess this is just a matter of course but she obviously had not paid attention that I did not like my starter at all. I thought this was a very careless remark and just demonstrated even further the poor service and lack of customer care.
As I was not offered an alternative starter in the first place I was expecting the starter to be removed from the bill. It wasn't, I now wish that I had have asked for it to be taken off.

We could not wait to leave the restaurant. It is the most un-friendly, un-welcoming restaurant I have ever been in, there was no atmosphere what so ever. I definitely would not recommend it and I would not go back.

There were four couples that knew where my husband was taking me for a meal that were all eager to find out what our experience was like. I have told them and needless to say they will not be making a reservation.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank greyghost2013
“Relaxed, unpretentious, superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

The heading says it all. Delicious, well presented, cosy setting, value for money (even the wine). Well worthy of a Michelin star. For the money, one would pay more locally at somewhere such as the Three Chimneys but this place beats it hands down on every level. Will be back with friends!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
east sussex
“just keeps getting better and better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have eaten at The West House many times over the last 10 years and the lunch we just had ( the tasting menu) was, quite simply the best meal we have ever eaten. We have some experience of fine dining - from pubs to 3 Michelin Starred Restaurants- and from start to finish the food was utterly delicious ( much better than a few 2 star restaurants in London I won't mention) The food sings with flavour, and , where other restaurants with one star may produce very nice food, this kitchen goes much further producing art for your eyes and palate. Being quite greedy we added a cheese course to the 6 course tasting menu ( every course of which was delicious) Where else would you get 5 delicious perfectly ripe cheeses, a beautiful crab apple jelly, home made oat biscuits/ chutney ( the best) pickled onions as well as a small but perfectly formed home made eccles cake? Utterly delicious and very very satisfied.