“Not young family friendly - a forewarning.”
Review of The Three Chimneys

The Three Chimneys
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Biddenden
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fresh ingredients cooked to order - locally sourced wherever possible. We love whatever is in season!
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We booked for a Saturday and called quickly to swap for Sunday lunch instead. We were assured that was fine. When we arrived today there was no booking under our name. An apology would have been graciously accepted (oh well)... can't have it all. Luckily we didn't mind sitting out in the courtyard. This is the first place I've ever been to that does not provide high chairs. Fair enough, they don't market themselves as a family pub so it's just a forewarning to other families. The vegetarian main was fabulous and the local sausages were superb. The deserts were again, okay.
The service was adequate,however nothing that requires writing about. To sum it up, a beautiful building and some lovely food. Just nothing really special.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Booked a table recently for a Saturday lunch to celebrate a wedding anniversary on a recommendation. On arrival was taken to our table and shown the menu. Staff seemed disinterested and on asking if one member of the party could have chicken as a replacement instead of what was shown, we were told by the waiter "No".

The meal was average and quite expensive for what we had. At no point once the meals were served did a member of staff approach the table to ask if we were satisfied with the food. Consequently, one meal (salmon) came in a very rich sauce which my husband was not able to eat. The plate was collected with the meal hardly touched and again, at no point, was this questioned.

On selecting dessert, my daughter was extremely keen to ask for some custard with the fruit crumble that was on the menu. When we asked if it was possible to be served a bit of custard instead, we were told by the same waiter that 'No, it was not possible'. We asked if he would kindly ask the chef to see what he could do and we were told 'No'. The waiter said that the pub does not have custard....really?!

We would never return under the circumstances and would not recommend this pub restaurant.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

9 of us went to eat here on Saturday 26th July.we got there at 1.10.. We went in and asked if they had a table.they said no.they didn't even try to seat us.there was plenty of spare tables that could of been pushed together.we didn't mind sitting outside either.they just said no straight away without even moving from behind the bar.so we went somewhere else & spent £180.. There loss!!!!

6  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We booked a table for two for 7pm and when we arrived, we were taken to a table which was in a sort of passage en route to the main dining area. We would have been passed constantly by waiting staff and the lighting was poor, so we asked if we could move but were told all the other tables had been booked and that as some people ask specifically for certain tables, all the booked tables were unavailable. There were no other customers there at all at this point. It was unwelcoming, and I might suggest that if a customer has specified a table when booking then that could be noted in the reservations book - otherwise, tables could be made available to those who want to sit at them.

The waitress brought the menu over. It was written on a large blackboard, about 3' x 5', and as she held it was half obscured by other tables. Who thought it was a good idea to write the main menu on a giant portable blackboard? Part of the sociable side of a meal out is perusing and discussing the menu, and the blackboard was just confusing. Later, we saw other customers repeatedly getting up to look at the blackboard when it was being presented to another table, because they couldn't remember what was on offer. Ludicrous. If a blackboard menu is to be used, it should be on the wall for all to see.

The waitress didn't know which dishes on the menu were gluten-free (which I need), so the chef came out of the kitchen to go through it with me. She really did know what she was talking about and made it all sound delicious. We both chose the guinea fowl with mushroom fricassee.

Once we'd ordered, we decided we couldn't stand the poky corridor table so we moved outside and sat in the courtyard garden, which was lovely. The guinea fowl was absolutely delicious, one of the best meals we had on our trip. I followed it up with creme brulee, which again was very good indeed. To finish, we ordered Earl Grey tea for two but were told they only had one Earl Grey teabag left. Why? Who's doing the ordering? Anyway, by that stage a huge ominous bank of cloud was fast approaching so we drank up, paid up and left, getting back to our B&B just in time to watch the violent thunderstorm. Good job we hadn't just started our mains at that point, or we'd have been relegated to the poky corridor table again.

All in all, I probably wouldn't go back to the Three Chimneys. The food was really good, but the front of house needs a rethink and more effort.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've been coming here to Three Chimneys for over 25 plus years. If I can get to Kent when I'm traveling in the UK, I come here for dinner and have never been disappointed. This year was no exception. My entree of breast of guinea hen was just delicious, with plentiful side dishes and a very tasty Chilean chardonnay. The ambiance in this pub-restaurant is totally charming, and the even though I know that much of the "olde" atmosphere is a re-creation, it's really fun. Service is attentive but non-intrusive, and the staff is friendly and helpful. This is my absolute favorite spot for gourmet pub food, and I'm happy to stay at a cottage that's very close so that I can enjoy my wine in a guilt-free manner.

1  Thank gotboxr