“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Three Chimneys

The Three Chimneys
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Biddenden
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Fresh ingredients cooked to order - locally sourced wherever possible. We love whatever is in season!
Kochi (Cochin), India
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

After everyone raving about the three chimneys my expectations were fairly high. Three of our party wanted the lamb, they had run out, I was most disappointed as soon as I saw the menu I wanted the lamb and couldn't believe somewhere so popular would run out of lamb. I ended having the steak which wasn't special at all with dauphinois potatoes which were cold and just a slab of sliced potatoe. I had to ask for it to be heated up, I tried it it was dry and certainly not the creamy cheesy hot cheese topped bowl of potatoes it should have been. I left half my steak. Needless to say I didnt bother with dessert. It averaged out at approx £35.00 pp without drinks. I didn't like to make too much of a fuss because we were out on a friends birthday dinner. If I had of been just my husband and I ,I would have complained.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank julala71

Eastbourne
“Lovely Country Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stumbled upon this establishment on a drive through the area and thought it looked nice. This is a lovely cosy pub with lots of nooks and wood burners blazing out. We sat in the conservatory, which was very pleasant and our food was beautifully presented and delicious. My only negative would be that the prices seemed rather high compared to other similar places in the area. But if money is no object I would recommend.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
The Cotswolds
“What is the opposite of gastropub?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Well this was a delightful surprise. Stuck in that 'do I really feel like lunch, or shall we just press on and save ourselves for dinner' dilemma we trusted Mr Sawday and stopped off here for a pint at least, to be faced with the most exciting and innovative choice of light bites/starters we can ever remember seeing. We ended up having the Kentish blue cheese rarebit on a red wine poached pear salad, and the field mushrooms and goats cheese; equally we could have gone with the breaded brie parcels or... well pretty much everything really. Superbly done, with real thought given to robust and exciting taste combinations, in surroundings that are like pubs used to be. We’ve all got a bit used to the gastropub formula, so it is so refreshing to see a pub that isn't worried about being a bit lived in and properly (rather than theme park) traditional. Loved it - only slightly odd note was that with so many quality micro breweries now in the local area two of the three draught beers on duty were all the way from Adnams; might just have been the day we went, and not a drama as we like Adnams! Will plan future trips to the area around a visit to the Chimneys - it really is that good, and service is very cheerful and welcoming too.

1 Thank BPMilllers
Wye, United Kingdom
“Lovely cozy country pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stumbled upon The Three Chimneys on a Monday lunchtime when driving through Kent. The pub is lovely - cozy fires and candles lit on all tables. It was busy for a Monday lunch time. The food was excellent, I had a goats cheese and cous cous dish that was stunning but be prepared for restaurant food and prices rather than pub lunch fare and prices. Would love to visit again in the evening.

• Visited January 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Another fantastic English Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My overseas friends are always so envious when they read my reviews of the amazing country pubs we have in the UK. Kent has a plethora of fine dining pubs and this is another fine example. During the summer of 2012 we passed here many times whilst playing tourist guide to to the onslaught of overseas friends and family, but never managed to get a free table when we dropped in. The place is so popular you are wise to book in advance to avoid disappointment.

The building is another maze of low ceilings and narrow corridors, several extensions to the main building over the past couple of centuries, but still very charming with it's open fireplaces. Luckily we did manage to get a table one October lunchtime midweek without booking; and were not disappointed. The duck was cooked to perfection and my wifes fish dish was perfectly cooked with a fine selection of vegetables served on the side.

It is is nice to see the local producers being supported with the wide selection of local beers and wines are available. Overall we were very impressed.

Reading some of the other reviews I agree with comments re the staff, they are neither friendly nor unfriendly, you certainly get the impression that because of the places popularity they really don't have to and certainly do not make much effort. Which is a shame and the reason I have not given this establishment full marks.

• Visited October 2012