“Wonderful night” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Biddenden B&B and Inns
Sheerness, United Kingdom
“Wonderful night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked the Tudor Cottage as we were eating at the West House as a birthday treat for my wife. It could not be better located for the purpose.
The Cottage itself is a wonderful 400+ year old building that has been sympathetically converted into a Bed and Breakfast and has been furnished entirely in keeping with the age of the building.
Susan is a fine host who is clearly passionate about both her cottage and providing service to her customers. If you want the bored expressioned half asleep staff that work in large chain hotels you will be very disappointed; Susan wants to make sure that your stay is pleasant and welcoming - which she achieves in spades.
I do think that many people miss that a Bed and Breakfast is really somebody allowing you to stay in their home for a fee. As such explanations of the oddities of the front door are entirely appropriate, particularly when you consider the age of the building, so criticisms from others I think are unfair.
We will stay again and I will recommend a stay to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We booked Tudor cottage because I had reserved a table at the West House restaurant as a birthday treat for my husband. It proved to be ideal, as it was good to just be able to cross the road home after a good night out.
Our room was clean and tidy, the only downside being the low ceiling in the bathroom, my husband was only able to stand up in one spot. Also, the mirror was placed away from the sink making wet shaving difficult. But, being a Tudor cottage, I suppose that would be difficult to overcome.
Susan was a welcoming host and proved helpful in arranging a taxi for our second evening out,
and telling us about some of the local attractions. We would have liked more choice as to breakfast times and food. Overall good value for money.
There are good walks in the area and the local church was very welcoming and gave us a guided tour. The seat cushion embroideries were fantastic. We were lucky as we were the last people, this year, to be able to do this, as the tours are now finished for the winter. We enjoyed our stay but would probably not book again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Warm welcome, very clean accommodation, good facilities, a good wholesome breakfast, and a quaint house in a picturesque location. What more could you want for a quiet, relaxing weekend in Kent?Very enjoyable stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I found this hidden gem two years ago and it is disappointing it has taken this long to go back. After deciding to get away from London for the weekend, Tudor Cottage once again provided a warm, friendly and relaxing stay and pleasingly very little has changed. This homely B&B provides very comfortable accommodation, and the owner is extremely welcoming. The area has plenty to see and do and the Red Lion pub is a great place to eat and relax in the evening. All in all tremendous value.

Leominster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights ,made most welcome.This B&B is actually next door to my old primary school.The room was spotless ,beautiful furniture in the cottage.Nice white linen on breakfast table.Will be returning.
Liz and Peter Howell

Storrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I don't like writing a very negative review of a business where someone is trying to make a living, but in this instance I can see no option. I have stayed in many hotels and B and Bs. Some have been good, and some not so good. However this is the only occasion that I have ever been treated so rudely that I have turned around at the entrance and walked away.

Tudor Cottage is supposedly a dog friendly establishment, but neither myself, my wife, or our dog found anything friendly. When the owner's dog came to the door to sniff our dog she dragged it away and after saying that she didn't like our dog's breed ( he is a Staffie), my wife tried to explain that he is very soft, only to be cut short mid sentence with the retort "This is my house and we'll do it my way!". At this stage I said that we too had to be comfortable with where we were staying and left.

Possibly the rudest person I have ever met and definitely in the wrong profession.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A319
Pontypool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked a 3 night stay here but ended up staying just one night !
On arrival we were met by Susan who welcomed us into the lounge of this old interesting house.
After showing us to our room (which was nice and warm on a very cold day), she explained she was going to be very busy in the morning so "would it be all right for us to have a continental breakfast in the morning as early as possible?" .We grudgingly accepted, and chose porridge as a compromise. Not the best start !!

Next morning (after breakfast) about 8:45 am the electricity went off.Luckily we were about ready to leave for the day so we weren't particularly worried. Susan explained it has happened before and should come back on in a few hours or so.

When we returned late afternoon the power was still off and i had to persuade Susan to telephone the electricity company to find out what the situation was. I honestly don't think she wanted to do this , saying to me " Oh, they'll only pass me on to someone else and I'll be going round in a circle."
Obviously we couldn't stay there with no electricity supply - it was freezing cold for a start ! , so while she was on the phone we decided to start packing our bags as it looked like the power was going to stay off the rest of the day.
Susan told us they couldn't tell her when the power was coming back on ( it was about 5pm by now) so we left there and then to find alternative accommodation for 2 nights.
We drove down to Rye and luckily managed to book into a pub.

All a shame really, obviously it was not Susan's fault that the electricity went off, but i did feel she wasn't pro-active enough in getting us the information we required and let herself down really.

To end on a positive note - the Red Lion pub just up the street was really good with lovely meals by a cracking log fire !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Capital0608, Public Relations Manager at Tudor Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Mr Smith,

We share your disappointment and frustration with the national grid. Unfortunately we are powerless, quite literally sometimes, to do anything about it. If only it was as simple as making a call to the electricity company.The power was off throughout one half of the high street, these things happen to us all from time to time.

It is a great shame that you were unable to stay under more favourable circumstances, so that you could enjoy the full Tudor Cottage experience, as so many others have.

I do hope that you one day you may return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biddenden
Little Silver Country Hotel
#4 of 6 in Biddenden
Bishopsdale Oast
Bishopsdale Oast
#1 of 6 in Biddenden

Been to Tudor Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!