“Dirty unfriendly tea”

Bloomsburys Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Biddenden
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are open from 8.30 am and serve breakfast, lunch , afternoon tea we also will serve dinner on booking on Fridays and Saturday. We serve Sunday roasts on booking.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We intended to book this 'Champagne afternoon tea' treat via Groupon, but when we enquired with Bloomsbury they told us we could just pay them on the day. So we did.Wonder if Groupon know they do this? Anyway... our first impression was that the whole place looks messy, tatty and dirty. There was no welcome of any kind. A couple of very young staff (one covered literally head to foot in what looked like icing sugar) with not much idea of what to do, showed us to our table and attempted to take our order, not very well. There was no choice of sandwiches offered, and no Champagne! We were asked if we wanted some sparkling wine though. I am sorry (reading previous response) but this IS disappointing when you were expecting the advertised Champage. Three of us had lemonade instead (two of us had two small glasses of lemonade each) and they wanted to charge us for the two extra glasses of lemonade?!!!!!!! Our table had been specially laid up with 'shabby chic' crockery. It would have been better if they had wiped the horrible sticky tea stains off the table first, and cleaned the cups properly. The cups were all tea stained and some cracked. The lovely sunny, pretty central tea lounge was empty while we, and another couple, were sat in some off room which is like a corridor for the toilets. I have no idea why they would use this space unless absolutely necessary. A large hen party arrived to 'glamp' and they had Sainsburys deliver their food/drink in front of us - and that should have said it all! When our food came the sandwiches were really bland. Not the cream chese, cucumber, salmon, lemon mayo and so on one would expect from the appealing Groupon description. I see from an earlier review that Bloomsbury doesn't seem to like the Groupon connection - they are rather missing the point here! Nobody asked us if everything was alright at any point. I had to go and ask for more jam (very small dish between four) and to our surprise they took it out of a supermarket value brand jam pot right in front of us! The scones were a very odd consistency, and cakes nothing to write home about. If this tea, which we paid £8 per head for was discounted by 62% I cannot believe anyone would pay full price, ever and be pleased. The young girl that we eventually managed to take our money at the end was abrupt and sour faced over us not agreeing for the extra lemonade charge, and so I felt it pointless to detail my disappointment with her. We then strolled along down to peek at the advertised 'Glampsite' to be hollered at to 'keep out' by the very unfriendly tall blonde lady. There was however and charming girl with fabulous dread locked hair who was really friendly and explained about the whole Glamping experience. She was their saving grace. If all the staff were as friendly and interested, nearly everything could have been forgiven!!! We left feeling that a good opportunity had been missed here. So we went to Biddenden Vineyard for cheering up, and in spite of being about to close they welcomed us in for coffee and we finished our day with a lovely shopping spree in there. Customer service costs nothing Bloomsburys!

6  Thank paula m

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Our first visit will certainly not be our last.We enjoyed a simply amazing breakfast ..delicious! The atmosphere is relaxing and exotic . I cannot wait to return with friends to share in the vibe.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

A group of us had dinner here at the weekend and despite being a large group the food was faultless. We were a bit disorganised and some of us forgot what we'd ordered yet nothing was too much trouble.
I had smoked salmon and crab crostinis which were fresh and delicious. The salmon for the main course was perfectly tender, the crushed potatoes were buttery and tasty. The crumble for pudding was too much... but so good i gave it my best shot!
Haven't tried the afternoon tea but the cakes looked delicious.
According to the taxi driver Bloomsburys does one of the best roasts around. Will be going back to try it!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We went today to Bloomburys for Afternoon CHampagne tea and are delighted.

What an amazing place, very quirky - but it works :)

We were greeted with Champagne, followed by tea/coffee, finger sandwiches and LOTS of cakes. All very delicious -in fact we ate the lot.

Good service and a very personal feel about it. The roast dinners looked huge, we will be returning again. THis was with a Groupon voucher so was doubly as good

2  Thank Tonbridge2011
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I brought a champagne afternoon tea coupon from Groupon. When we arrived we were offered sparkling wine when we was under the impression it was champagne. We then sat down and was sat for ages on a dirty table. I then reminded the lady that our table needed cleaning. She then brought us tea which was really nice. Our sandwiches and cakes then came out, very small finger sandwiches and the bread was stale. The lady forgot to mention what was in the sandwiches until she heard us discussing what we thought was in them. We then went to try the quarter of a piece of scone which was hard, we also had the option of a tiny bit of brownie and a very hard and I mean hard flapjack thing, which we couldn't eat. So at this point we were still hungry. We then asked for a sandwich to ge made of our choice, which seemed to be such a hard job for the staff, so hard that we could hear them complaining about us in the kitchen! At this point we wanted to leave but thought we would wait for sandwich. We then received our sandwich after 15 minutes and it was the wrong sandwich. We informed them and they made us the correct one and again, we heard them moaning and groaning! At this point we felt sooo annoyed as we had travelled an hour to enjoy *champagne* afternoon tea and it was just a disaster. Very poor and if we had known that we were not getting champagne we would not have travelled all that way! This was a gift for my friend and I felt very annoyed! Never again will I go to this place! Food was very poor as well as service! !!!!!!!!!!

4  Thank Stacey968