“Beautiful Location and B&B but some updates needed .”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I spent a lovely weekend at Yarmouth in the The George.

Good: I can not fault the B&B service we received: Great location for Yarmouth and exploring the I.O.W., superb breakfast over looking the sea and bed room finished to a very high standard.The staff were all very friendly.

Bad: I decided to splash out and have dinner at the hotel. Although the dining area is beautiful, unfortunately, for me this meal let the hotel down. Let me explain.

Before our meal we thought we would have pre dinner drinks. The seating next to the bar is lovely but very small. I found the other lounge a bit scruffy and cold. Where are the cocktails? Room information states cocktails are served in the bar, yet when asked about cocktails we were told they did not do them! The ontap beer was also warm. We felt disappointed with our pre-meal drinks and both said we should have gone to the pub.

Sample menus: The website shows sample menus that look incredible however the prices on these are far cheaper than in the restaurant ( e.g.the cheapest meal is under £14 when we were there the cheapest was £17).

The vegetarian evening menu (shown on the website) is not currently available, which means vegetarians only get one (uninspiring) choice per course. I paid almost 20 pounds for a main course which was very bland.Rice with lumps of carrot does not match the standard of the rest of my experience at this hotel. I suggest the chief be more adventurous when planning meat free options as I heared the other choices were lovely. Also, our selection of breads, as stated in the menu never came.My tomato and basil salad was sadly mainly lettuce and I had to ask for dressing. I felt disappointed with this meal as it cost me over £70.

Overall, a lovely hotel with beautiful rooms. I would recommend this hotel (already have) but thought it would not be a balanced truthful review without mentioning my dinning experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank loveshotsunnydays

Reviewed January 8, 2013

As we were visiting the area we decided to stop for lunch at The George. We had a lovely
lunch with very attentive staff that saw we wanted for nothing. We thought the menu was very good . The presentation and every course we ordered was just wonderful . We really enjoyed our lucky find. The views from the restaurant overlooking the solent were beautiful only bettered by sitting outside which unfortunately was not possible as the weather was very cold and wet.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mems529
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from 2 nights at The George, Yarmouth. We were blessed with the weather, which meant that the view from the breakfast table was stunning. (Sadly we didn't get the upgrade to a sea view that somebody else spoke of, but nevertheless a lovely and large room with the most comfortable bed - I meant to ask where the beds come from so that I can try and buy the same, our sleep was that good!). Breakfasts were tasty, dinner was superb, the staff were friendly and professional, and the surroundings were lovely. It's a real touch of class on my favourite place on earth (IOW), and Yarmouth at this time of year, although small, has some lovely pubs. The blazing fire in the bar of The George brings a warm glow to my imagination when now stuck back in an office in London ... recommend this break to all!

Room Tip: We had Room 1 - which may have been a disabled room because of the size of room and door, and the se...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kentgirl_63
Reviewed October 30, 2012

in our travels around the world..george and i have met many great stays but i recommend people try out this quaint little hotel and GEORGE the Bartender..he is what makes traveling a soothing emotional memory..great service, works hard and how he treated his customers with NO attitude. Myself and George LOVED his spirit and care and knowledge in traveling the World. Spend time with this bartender everyone and you will see a smiling,outgoing and caring young man. Thank you George and tolerating our stories. Hotels cannot afford to lose people like him..the Staff is so important. William and George..Americans

Room Tip: spend time in the beautiful Bar and say hello to George from the Americans
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank worldtrav1990
Reviewed October 25, 2012

A short ferry trip away, as a special treat, booked for one night at The George. Did not fail in any respect. Offered upgraded room, with wonderful room overlooking the Solent. An excellent dinner and very attentive staff. The most comfortable bed with pillows to die for. Would be very happy to return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorothy E
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited Yarmouth for the day with some friends as a birthday treat and enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch in the restaurant with a wonderful view.
Good service, friendly staff and nice surroundings.
We would certainly like to return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SukySomerset
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The George is in a lovely position overlooking the Solent. The public rooms are attractive and the building itself is impressive. The restaurant is lovely, the food is of high quality and the breakfasts are great.
Yarmouth is an attractive little village, with three pubs and some nice independent shops.
And now to the not so good bits.
The location of the parking away from the hotel is a pain, it wouldn't be convenient for someone with disabilities or if you have a large amount of luggage, although not sure if you can park in the town with a disability sticker overnight or for more than two hours. The parking costs 6.60 for 24 hours (+ 40 pence surcharge if you book it over the phone) so this cost must be factored into your stay.
Our room was booked through late rooms and cost 120 pounds per night for bed and breakfast which was just about acceptable as a price for the standard room we stayed in during what should be off-peak season. There is no way that I'd pay the standard 'from 190 pounds' quoted online as the usual tariff for this though, I've no idea how they justify this price. There is no health club or any other facilities in the hotel other than a restaurant and a bar. The standard rooms (we stayed in room 25) are in a remote part of the hotel up two flights of stairs (again, no idea if they have rooms suitable for disabled or elderly people, but these ones are definitely NOT suitable, there is no lift). The standard rooms are in the attic, the paint is peeling in the bathroom, the door to the bathroom is cheap and needs yanking, the shower is an overhead shower with a non-removable head so no good for ladies who do not want to get their hair wet and if you were washing it anyway it would take you a month of Sundays as it is the most miserable excuse for a shower I have ever come across. There is no excuse for a pathetic shower output these days, it's one of the fundamentals of an overnight stay. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, although when we arrived the receptionist (who didn't offer to help with luggage when she showed us to our room - remember those two flights of stairs?) advised that we could order tea and coffee prior to dinner, so I'm assuming you could order it if you wanted it for free? I think this is an unnecessary inconvenience, how much would it cost the hotel to include this in rooms?
I would go to The George for food, but I would go elsewhere if staying on the island, there must be places that offer much better value for money.
If you don't know the island, we explored most of it and alternative nice places to stay would be in Cowes or Ventnor, Newport is not so nice, nor is Shanklin.
We recommend the buses for getting around the island if you don't have your car with you, they offer a brilliant and convenient service.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 25, which was a standard room that had seen better days.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank loopy101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
The Royal Hotel
The Clifton
The Clifton
#2 of 51 in Shanklin
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!