“Excellent, would recommend to anyone!”
Review of Forresters Wine Bar - CLOSED

Forresters Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The winds of change have hit Forresters. We are now open as a Wine Bar with several bar snacks available from a simple sandwich to salads and house specials, all at very reasonable prices. I have decided that 3 courses of fine dining isn't always the best evening out. Sometimes a prawn cocktail and a glass of wine in elegant surroundings fits the bill perfectly. So there will always be a good choice of food but no longer fine dining. Still the wonderful ambiance of Forresters Hall, always good service but now at a fraction of fine dining and pub prices. How about a cocktail to start off your evening? Or reserve our mezzanine floor for a small private party. Hire out the whole place for functions or family get togethers. Or just pop in for an alternative place for a drink. I am determined to keep both food and drink prices extremely sensible, eg bowl of chilli and a crusty baguette for £5 and spirit and a mixer for £3. Regular live music, not loud but pleasantly entertaining and enjoyable. Regular pianist on most Fridays. I hope that you will still keep us on your list of places to go and look forward to welcoming you to Forresters Wine Bar.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Lovely place, staff are excellent! Lovely cocktails, very nice pizzas and the cheesy chips are fabulous! Would definitely recommend to anyone, planning on having my 18th birthday there as it is so nice. Definitely worth a visit! :)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

What a shame .... No customers when we visited mid week .... Wine good ! Sad to say a modest pizza menu .

Reviewed May 8, 2014

One of the best restaurants on the IoWight. Consistently provided great meals and atmosphere in this unique historic venue in recent years. We had our wedding reception here in April and it was their last time as a Restaurant before "morphing" into a Wine Bar. What a perfect evening we had. We'd like to wish Amanda and staff continued success in their new business venture. I hope they get lots more customers coming through the door. Thanks for everything. A sad loss to the IoW Restaurant community, we will still visit the Forrester's Wine Bar.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is one of the best meals we have had out. Lovely building, not too hot, background music not intrusive, tables not crammed together, relaxed friendly service.Be aware this is on the first floor - I didn't notice a lift.
It was midweek, out of season, and we ate early so there were no other diners for most of the time we were there, but the atmosphere was still very pleasant.
The food was excellent, starting with complimentary homemade bread, and olives which were were very fresh and fruity. After a number of bad experiences with tasteless gnocchi in Italy (!) I have avoided it like the plague for years. However I bravely tried some as a starter - so delicious was it that I am still trying to work out what the recipe might be to reproduce it! The other starter of crab and prawn salad was equally as good, and the accompanying salad leaves had a very well balanced dressing.
The mains kept up the high standard - slow roast belly pork which melted in the mouth, with very crispy crackling, and guinea fowl cooked to perfection. The accompanying vegetables included roasted celeriac slices, unusual and again something I intend to try at home. The broccoli was slightly overdone, but it was slight and still enjoyable.
Desserts were slightly more mixed. The creme brulee had a good balance of ginger and rhubarb against the cream, although to our taste the ginger was a little too prominent, and the accompanying shortbreads were light and crispy with just a hint of chewiness in the very centre - excellent!. The citrus tart had lovely flavours - I had worried that the grapefruit on top might be too bitter against the sweetness of the rest of it, but it was just slightly sharp and balanced the sweetness beautifully but the pastry was too thick and cakey rather than thin and crisp.
The meal came to £62 for three courses each for 2 people plus 3 soft drinks. The minor niggles were not enough to spoil a first rate meal. If we are back in this area Forresters would certainly be our first choice of restaurant.
Just a suggestion to the owner - it would be really useful to put opening times on the website.

4  Thank grumpidoc
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Went to the Forrester's after seeing rave reviews on this website. Their own website states open 7 days a week, went to book and it was closed and then turned up in the evening and still closed. Thankfully for us the Wheatsheaf Inn was open and did amazing food.

2  Thank Hodgsonfamilyfun
AmandaVenters, Owner at Forresters Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Apologies for taking sometime to respond to your review. Up until the last week or so, Forresters was indeed open from Tuesday evening to Saturday evening. The home page on my website did in fact say this, at the bottom the home page was a paragraph relating to my shop, Forresters Nammet, which is open 7 days a week. So unfortunately, this was obviously misunderstood when you looked at my home page.
However, since you tried to visit us, Forresters has undergone a drastic change on the food front. We are now operating as a wine bar with snacks and are no longer a fine dining restaurant. For the rest of April, I shall be opening Thursday evenings through to Saturday. Once May is upon us, I will probably revert to Tuesdays to Saturdays but have yet to make a decision on this. When I do, I will update my home page accordingly. Maybe you will reconsider your original comment now this has been explained and may in fact, give us another go when you're next in Yarmouth.