Review Highlights
Thorn in my side

Reviewed 6 days ago
seagullrob
Brisbane, Australia
Beautiful vista, but a loooong walk

Barbara M
Springfield, Missouri

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Totland
from $34.40
from $24.40
from $79.30
3,729 results
All reviews chair lift alum bay boat trip coloured sand isle of wight the cliff glass blowing sweet making cable car sand shop sweet factory national trust pebble beach speed boat glass making walked down chairlift ride
Reviewed 6 days ago

I was really looking forward to seeing the Needles as a natural rock formation on my first ever visit to the Isle of Wight (from Australia) but was really quite disappointed.
First there's a big red and white structure right at the end of them (I've since learned that it's The Needles Lighthouse), but as it's a navigational safety device, I can't quibble with that - it serves an essential purpose as doubtless they would be a danger to shipping when visibility is poor, and blending it in with the rocks rather defeats the object of the exercise.
But I can quibble about the £5 parking fee. Admittedly, it is for all-day parking, but if you're only going to see the Needles themselves (because you're not into amusements - you just want to walk up to the cliff and soak up the the natural beauty - less then an hour), it's an overkill, price-wise.
Plus when you walk up to the cliff overlooking the Needles, you have to pay more to go into the old battery, though there are free views from the old rocket testing facility.
There is also a free lookout from the amusement park, but naturally enough, you have to pay for the chairlift from which it would appear you get good views.
It just seemed that I was putting my hand into my pocket all the time, and there were only a couple of points where you got a view without having to pay extra.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We took the bus here after visiting Osborne House. Would have been enough time for a visit except someone told us it was a 20 minute walk to the needles. More than 1 hour each way, unless you're a runner, in my opinion. Getting there is all uphill, but not a bad incline. By the time we got to the battery, it was closed. Walked back down, and shops, etc were shutting down. We missed the next-to-the last bus, and were the only ones left. It would have been an expensive Uber ride, for sure, but one last bus came. It was dark by the time we got back to Ryde. Our fault. We should have checked. The area had a few little shops, and restaurants/snacks, but my biggest surprise was the monument and plaques about Marconi. Interesting!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The views are lovely and the lift to the beach is great but the rest is just a poor touristy rip off. Restaurant very expensive and more like a canteen would be nice to have different tea rooms and choices.
Car parking was pricey too
Much nicer places on isle of wight

Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my First beach to visit in UK. Its good, luckily we had sunny day. Got lots of nice pictures. There is a chair ride which takes you to beach, its fun for children and everybody. They have a good tourist store, bought lot of souvenirs which are really unique and not found in London. If you are planning to go, please visit it. best months would be April to September.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We have been to The Needles every time we visit the Island.

We went on the cable car down to the beach, did not get off this time as windy, but enjoyed the views.

Went in the sand shop and made the compulsory sand item! Visited the shop and my favourite sweet shop!

1  Thank SussexMum78
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We went here in summer, i’m not from the IOW but my partner is and he wanted to take me to fill a bottle with coloured sand because it’s a big touristy thing. The sand place was really nice, you pick a bottle which range in price (cheapest saw was £5) pay, fill, and they mix and seel it.

the view of the sea is really nice and there’s a chair lift for viewing

there’s also children’s fairground rides , a gift shop, a coffee shop and it’s easily accessible by bus

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Lovely views but very crowded long walk to view needles but it’s worth it amusements traditional one of those places I think I have done once and will not do again but you have to do at least once

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The chair lift was exhilarating. The glass factory was fascinating. Sadly the needles pleasure park no longer accept Tesco vouchers, never the less this is still a great day out.
We will be back in a year or two!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lands Ends poor relation. Plenty of Tatt to buy and a coach trip nirvana. Sand filled mementos abound. Take the path down/up if able or just ride the cable car back for the experience/view. Good boat trip to get up close to the needles lighthouse. The whole place has a carny feel to it. Keep your car parking ticket if likely to be going back with other guests within a year...
View attached photo's and you won't need to go :-)
The walk to the battery is a better option.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visited here on Monday 29th October and fancied at quick drink and snack so visited Marconi restaurant. What a mistake, disinterested staff how gave the impression that we were an inconvenience rather than a valued customer bring revenue to fund their employment.
From the blank NO answer to the question of do you do bacon sandwiches, a polite no and offering some kind of alternative would have been more customer focused. To the totally bored, rude cashier made the restaurant visit so disappointing.
Thankfully the chairlift staff were friendly and helpful, a total opposite to the restaurant and gave us a far better impression of the attraction.
This is wonderful place of very interesting historical and geological importance that is well worth visiting, just need to get all of the staff giving good customer service.