“A great dining experience”
Review of Seaview Hotel

Seaview Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seaview
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Spending a week on the Island dining in some of the finest establishments there is to offer, we are glad that we saved this one until last. The atmosphere was great, the restaurant was busy, but everyone was polite, professional and calm. I had the duck starter special followed by the catch of the day, totally divine. The lady in charge was friendly and the staff controlled. A welcome end to our holiday, hope to be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seaview-Hotel A, General Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

What a lovely review - to be described as 'totally divine' is really heart-warming.

Hope to see you next year.

There are newer reviews for Seaview Hotel

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The good: Comfortable beds, cute toiletries, good food, clean rooms, nice bar scene.
The bad: plagued by flies in all the bars and restaurants, the evening meal was very tasty but ruined by the lack of service. We waited an hour and a half for our main meal and complained, we were told the waitress clearing our starter should have ticked to say we had finished our starter and the Manageress came over to demand who had waited on us. We didn't know, but she was quite insistent, we felt this was not a problem for us and should have been for her to sort out. They did give us a bottle of wine free, but we were too tired for desserts and went to bed.

The breakfasts were lovely, service and food good.

We had a drink in the bar at lunchtime, which was packed and noisy and again we were plagued by flies. We ate out in the evening, returning for a drink at the bar but couldn't get a seat it was so packed, so had an early night,

We were woken each early morning by someone in an adjoining room zipping up a suitcase and from the fan in the bathrooms which were so noisy we could hear them from adjoining rooms.

Convenient for the local buses to get round the island and close to the sea, but would not go back to stay.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this room right at the last minute but had eaten there before and had memories of a pleasant experience 8 years ago.
We were booked into room 15 which normally would have been £250, but as it was last minute we were offered a reduction to £199 DBB. It had a partial view of the sea and a very large comfy bed but was in desperate need of a makeover and we couldn't get the toilet to flush!
We went to dinner at 8.45pm and were disappointed that we had to ask for the menus, ask for bread, and ask to have our order taken! The food wasn't bad. My mussels (which I was told I couldn't order in the restaurant because they were on the bar menu) were absolutely delicious. I was uninspired by the rest of the menu so chose the safe chicken dish which I found to be quite heavy with an over powering stuffing and a very thick jus which would have been more appropriate on a winter menu. I followed it with the raspberry parfait, served with a vanilla mousse which had 'split' and felt grainy on the tongue. However, the service was POOR!!! The girls just didn't seem to care and all we could hear was laughing and joking coming from the kitchen whilst we waited, and waited for our meal. The dessert took 30 minutes to arrive and we asked for more water which never came! In the end we just left as it appeared we had been forgotten. The breakfast the next day was good albeit not vey exciting. There have been many comments about the lack of customer service and it's time the manager should listen and do something about it before the hotel develops a poor reputation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seaview-Hotel A, Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

We were sorry to hear about your stay and we do hope that one day you will reconsider and visit us again.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic prompt service by barmaid. Moules, steak & kidney pies, soups and fish pie all excellent. Burgers have changed and the meat mix are now noticeably of much lower quality to previous meals. We were a bit harassed by house flies during our meal - wonder if anything can be done to sort this? Hope to come back soon!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank RachelSurrey
Seaview-Hotel A, Front Office Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. The meat for the burger is from our own farm, Newclose Farm, and I am sorry that on this occasion it wasn't as good however I am glad the rest of your meal was enjoyable.

The house flies have been gently persuaded to move elsewhere - I don't think we will be seeing them again ;)

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This traditional small hotel is not grand but it is homely and a good base from which to explore the island. I suspect that it rests on its reputation as a traditional family base in Seaview which is well known for its sailing club and related activities. We booked very much at the last minute during Cowes week as there was nothing available in Cowes. However a £20 taxi ride each way made it very expensive indeed. Our room was small but adequate - but the fans from the kitchen were right outside the window and these were noisy. We heard strange rolling noises in the night and the following morning identified this as a couple with baby who pushed the pushchair back and forth to try to get it to sleep. Breakfast the following morning was good but the service was slow and not very charming. However the receptionist was delightful.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with kitchen fans below. Go for a top floor room if possible as soundproofing is ina...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 14, 2013

No fussy foams, unamusing bouches and noveau portions at the Seaview. The new chef is producing food high on flavour and low on pretension. My friends and I had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner and I was delighted to find that old classic, soupe de poisson on the menu. For main course I had a beautifully cooked lobster and dessert a tart yet rich raspberry parfait. Service was a little rough around the edges and possibly a little slow but I have a feeling that we are only just seeing the start of something special.

Room Tip: Modern rooms are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at the Seaview once before and I had a fabulous, clean room in the new building. Last night, however, I was given a room in the old part of the hotel and it was a significant disappointment. The room was, at best, grotty. There was paint peeling off very dirty window sills and the windows themselves could have done with a good clean. The carpet was shabby and ill-fitting and the toilet had a smell. I got to my room quite late and just wanted to have a shower and go to bed. There was no shower in the bathroom, just a bath, but it was clean. Whoever made up the room forgot to put any towels out so I had to call reception and request some. The lady was apologetic and offered to "have some sent up immediately". 40 minutes later I was still waiting for my "immediate" delivery of towels so I had to get dressed and go back to reception to look for some myself. I was given one hand towel and made do with this in the absence of a bath towel. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet and I got a good nights sleep. Overall, I was rather disappointed with my stay though.

Room Tip: Request a room in the new block.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank blonderachel
Seaview-Hotel A, Front Office Manager at Seaview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for posting a review and I am sorry that on this occasion our service and room did not meet the usual standard. I believe that we were fully booked that night and you had the last room in the hotel. This room is usually discounted and only sold if there are no other rooms available. It is due for a refurbishment in the winter.

We do hope that you will return and hopefully you will be able to have a room in the Rope Walk Modern where you enjoyed such a fabulous stay before.

Best wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
The Royal Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#7 of 51 in Shanklin

Been to Seaview Hotel? Share your experiences!