“Jurys out on this because of the food”
Review of Priory Bay Hotel

Priory Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Seaview
London, UK
“Jurys out on this because of the food”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Priory Bay Hotel is a beautiful old ruin set in delightful manicured gardens that roll down through some woods to a private bay. There is also a pool and barns for family accommodation which is a clever idea to keep the ankle biters away from the grown ups. The public rooms are faded regency in style with views across the lawn, quiet classical music plays and it is relaxing, all in all the setting is superb.
The rate I got was very good for last minute and the room was OK, a little worn but a decent size, with a good sized bathroom and large balcony overlooking the entrance. The disappointment for me came when I went for dinner. After hearing the staff asking each other where I was, I volunteered my presence and The Maitre d' marched me off to the Oyster which is the casual of the 2 dining rooms. There has been a lot of hype about this restaurant and it features in every magazine on the island. It is situated in a good sized conservatory area. The tables, which look like they'v been made from railway sleepers, have little drawers from where you take your cutlery and the menu is limited with lots of emphasis on homegrown herbs. I ordered fish that was extremely bland and came covered with fresh herbs. Well we all grow herbs these days, and most of us know that they are best served chopped and in a sauce, or with mash, served in the salad or even in the fish. Not just bunged on top. I had also mentioned I did not want fish on the bone. This came on the bone. A tiny boring little fish. I quickly ordered some potatoes. Absolutely nothing appealing on the menu for desert at all, but what was funny was the smug, supercilious air adopted by the young man who seemed to run the restaurant. When he eventually asked if I enjoyed my meal and I had to respond that no it was very bland he did not offer an apology or explanation but just stood there looking blank. Next morning breakfast was in the same room, and while the staff were all quite charming and helpful it was all a bit haphazard with barely cooked through bacon and a few fried eggs that must have been made at least 40minutes previously. However, I asked for scrambled and a big bowl of excellent scrambled eggs soon arrived. There were also plenty of croissants, jams etc. But I would not eat there again, and I have to compare the hotel to The Royal at Ventnor where I'd stayed the day before and who's restaurant was absolutely spectacular as was the service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We first stayed here 8 years ago and were very happy with the whole experience, especially the food. How things seemed to have slipped downhill! The website makes much mention of the Head Chef who's returned after working for 2 years at Noma, Copenhagen (voted number 2 Best Restaurant in the World, 2013). What it doesn't say is what role he played there ..... surely it can't have been in the kitchen?

My whole crab starter was served boiling hot! Never had a hot boiled crab before and don't want one again. When I broke the body apart lots of water poured out of the body. A sure sign that it had been previously boiled and then frozen. It had now obviously been fast defrosted.

A main of sirloin steak came with some pretty good chips and three Gem lettuce leaves each with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Desserts were OK if this were a cheap bistro, the problem is that it's not. I gave the £15 cheeseboard a miss.

We also couldn't help but notice that generally the surroundings had also gone downhill, stains on the carpets etc.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank indetraveller
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We arrived at the priory as a group of four for lunch. We were asked whether we would like a drink at the bar before going through to the dinning room, a nice idea however most of that time was spent waiting for the four drinks to be made. We then where shown to our seats after a little hint on our part. Bread and butter was given 4 pieces (1 slice each) and butter "presented" on a stone looking rather unappetising. Meals took well over half an hour. However I can not complain about the food as that was lovely. Shame that it was spoilt by a rather large rude man on reception who didn't even raise his head as we thank him on the way out of the hotel! Customer service lacking. Overall very nice food however far too long a wait seeing as there was on three tables to see too, far too expensive we spent over £100 pounds on 4 mains 3 pudding and a drink each for that kind of money I would just expect a lot more for the price we paid. Would not recommend and won't be going back!

• Stayed July 2012
devon
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Fortunately we did not experience any of the negatives ,others have written about.
We stayed 1 night ,found on the off chance.We got a good B&B deal and had dinner in the evening.
Our room on the ground floor was roomy,clean and a comfortable bed.The en suite had a large separate shower facility to the toilet area,not a problem for us.
We had a superb evening meal with home-made bread and home made butter.My wife had her fish filleted,mine on the bone,it was excellent.
We also had a good breakfast,freshly cooked.
Any criticism was that staff at dinner a little too attentive-but this is minor.
The grounds are extensive and nice walks,with a path down to a secluded beach,with lovely views.
Facilities on site for golf and tennis.
We have no complaints and would go again if on the Island in future

Room Tip: As it is in its own grounds can't see any rooms would be noisy. Can't comment on sunny side...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

On our last day on the IOW we went here for a quick lunch from the bar menu. The hotel was not busy at all so we expected to be served quite quickly.......My husband and I ordered the trout platter and ham platter, suffice to say both did not meet our expectations. We sat outside and the waitress came and asked if she could take our order!? So straight away we knew we had been forgotten about. After a 40 minute wait, we got shredded ham and trout with four pieces each of burnt bread. The waitress did not apologise for the wait, in fact didn't really seem to care at all that we had waited so long for a wooden board of cold food! The ham platter was supposed to come with 'pickles' what I got was a bowl full of pickled onions...... Butter arrived on a stone??!?!?!?! It was a hot day, we sat outside, this totally baffled me.....butter melts!??!

I would not recommend this place, nor would I return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmsd
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We (family of four) stayed in a yurt in the woods. Lovely location and tent with en suite facilities a short walk from the hotel but secluded by trees.

The food was very nice but sometimes we longed for a bit of variety and some basics, and only discovered the much more accessible bar menu on the last night. The island beef burger is delicious, as is the caramel ice cream.

The service in the brasserie was terrible however. At breakfast we usually had to ask several times for toast, tea, hot chocolate. The main host actually put couples (not us) on a table that had a bucket next to it to catch drips from the leaking roof. When asked about our missing toast he rolled his eyes, said nothing by way of apology and went into the kitchen to shout at other members of staff.

At dinner, the food and drinks took a long time to arrive, the ice cream melting into sauce.

It's a shame because with their seaside location, great yurts and good quality food they have the potential to be a first-rate hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Seckerfamily
London
Reviewed May 21, 2013

lovely hotel and grounds, service was fantastic but let down a little by the breakfast (average), tad over priced for what its worth.

Also the the pool was closed off and empty which was disappointing

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Seaview Hotel
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Luccombe Hall Hotel
Luccombe Hall Hotel
#7 of 52 in Shanklin

Been to Priory Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!