“Beautiful Views”
Review of The Boat House

The Boat House
Ranked #1 of 4 Seaview B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay at the Boat House in Seaview. Warm welcome from the staff and lovely room looking across the Solent to the Spinnaker Tower. Room very well decorated with everything you need including good bathroom with table for washbags. Good choice of food(inc. fish & shellfish) in the restaurant with option for smaller portions which we appreciated. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend on the isle of white!we were originally booked into a complex down the road from here which was so awful we could not bear to stay in!!I had considered getting the next ferry home but we popped into the Boat House for a drink and were greeted by such a lovely warm and friendly atmosphere I just wanted to stay!!As soon as I saw the lovely pictures on the walls of the rooms I enquired and they luckily for us had had a cancellation!!(I could not get my bags in quick enough)The food was really good and the bed was soooo comfy my head just sank into the pillows which was a far cry from the prison camp down the road!we had a beautiful view looking out to sea !in the mornings the breakfast is gorgeous and It filled us up all day!!!the staff especially Adam (sorry didnt know anyone else's name) were wonderful and I all in all
The isle of white is probably a little bit tame for myself out of season but I would definately return here when the festival is on!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Fitty F
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night but felt as if it was for four days . It was so beautiful and amazing for us , we live in Cotswolds which is complete green around and in here it was WATER AND SEA which was stunning and coming to the hotel it has got a perfect location and excellent service and lovely and sweet staff vet charming and happy surprised to see something like this round here . Not forget the room was completely MIND BLOWING !!! THE CUSHIONS AND BED AND LOVELY CIEW FROM THE ROOM AND THE COLOUR COMBINATION OF THE WALLS AND THE PAINTINGS GIVES YOU A CALM ATMOSPHERE!!! If you want to completely forget evrything all the tensions if your life and relax properly it is the BEST PLACE IN THE ISLAND :) CHEERS TO THE STAFF WHO MAKE IT MORE BEAUTIFUL KEEP IT UP GUYS

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

By way of a FOREWORD, it would appear that there are a number of TripAdvisor listings for The Boat House at Seaview, Isle of Wight, with either incorrect or inaccurate addresses, incl. some with no reviews - at least at the time of this posting. And so, I have taken this particular site as being the correct one.

ONWARDS
There are many different lyrics to the old song "When the boat comes in" and lots of them, including those in the title of this review, are appropriate to The Boat House.

I knew the property when it was a somewhat 'down at heel' hotel called "The Battery". (You can still see its old sign, along with models of the "Dad's Army" cast, in one corner of the terrace. It's typical of Britain to preserve the best of the old and welcome the best of the new. Therefore, good on the owner for having done so here). "The Battery" was subsequently sold and the purchaser invested heavily in giving it a classy make-over. This would have been a costly exercise which may have over stretched the buyer because it was pretty short lived. It was then purchased by a real pro. who already had two other similar set-ups on the Island ... one at Fishbourne, just along from the Wightlink ferry terminal, and another at Shalfleet.

During the course of the last 7 days, my wife and I have dined there and lunched there. Very successfully on both occasions. One of the reasons for this success - and doubtless the success of the place generally - is its continuity: absolutely essential and none moreso when it comes to food & beverage indeed, the hospitality business as a whole. Link this to a good welcome, good service, good ingredients, good cooking, good portion size, good atmosphere and good pricing and my GOODness, you're onto a winner.

Additional to the on-going a la carte menu, with something on it for everyone, throughout the day, there is a quasi blackboard menu with much choice. On the occasion that we dined there, my wife had grilled plaice which was absolutely perfect, incl. being of a decent size. The bowl of accompanying vegetables were varied, fresh, and hot ... no chance that they had been lined-up at the pass, in conveyor belt style. My beer battered haddock, with chips and peas, would have truly given many a highly rated conventional fish & chip shop a run for its money. The subsequent visit, for Sunday lunch, similarly came up trumps. The centrepiece was Roast Beef. Ever such a generous portion of beef. Cracking good Yorkshire pud., brilliant roast potatoes (crunchy on the outside, floury & soft on the inside). And here again, the accompanying bowl of fresh vegetables was varied and its contents plentiful. (The tiny carrots were a triumph). On both occasions, our starting courses were just the job. That 60s favourite, prawn cocktail, was classy. It was on the board because they put their own 'stamp' on it. And it is not a 2nd class one. More avant-garde starters and variations on the more classic ones, like fish goujons, were all equally well received. Many different desserts plus too, that excellent Isle of White cheese.

Just across the road from the Solent, The Boat House has some rather chic bedrooms too.

The boat really did come in for us at The Boat House. We'll certainly book for another voyage.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Barton-bonviveur
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed with friends on the Island and we came here for Sunday lunch. The place was very busy and there was a great atmosphere. There was a table free and we all five of us sat down.

The menu has a fish bias, but there is plenty of non fish choices. Starters and mains were ordered. Service was very quick and starters were well presented. As some of us finished at different times, the staff seemed to hover around the table which could be a little off putting. Mains were served in good time and all of us commented on the great taste. Particularly nice were the pork steaks.

To round off the meal deserts were eaten. A good choice on offer, with some twists on old fashioned offerings.

All in all a good meal and will be coming back to this place again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have used this pub for lunch on a number of times when we visit our friend who lives in Ryde. Usually the food and service is very good but I think that they have taken their eye off the ball a little lately and are relying on their reputation a little too much. The meals we had yesterday Sunday 17 Feb 13 were ok but hardly great the staters of Fish Gujons had far too much batter which should have been light but seemed to have been fried for far too long and the white fish had little taste. For mains the steak I had was fine but the pork and apple dish my wife had was poor and the vegetables were old and over cooked and shouldnt have graced a table but put in the bin. Our friends Fish and Chips was good but it seems the portion sizes have gotten smaller since our last visit. I really do think that they need to up their game if they are to maintain their reputation

Room Tip: You need to make a reservation at a weekend otherwise you won't get a table