“Just what we wanted”
Review of Yelf's Hotel

Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Recent weekend stay. Ideally located for rail and boat arrivals and then subsequent public transport expeditions across the whole Island. Good old fashioned standards. No overbearing false behaviour from staff who were always there when needed. Nice medium sized room suite with large, clean, well equipped bathroom at quite frankly a guest house type price. Superb Sunday lunch and the real ale in the bar was the best I had on the Island on every occasion I had some. Room had Union Street fronting so it there is a criticism (especially at weekends when the young of Ryde go on the prowl until late) it would be a need to double glaze the windows (secondary glazing so windows can still be opened for fresh air) facing on to Union Street and get the adjacent Black Sheep bar to tone down their music sounds after 2330 as these reverberate throughout the hotel. I always find getting out of the shower potentially dangerous so provision of a non slip mat or heavy obvious floor towel could be the panacea.

Room Tip: Ask for a back of hotel room to avoid streetnoise at the front
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank RealAleVoyager
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I have noted the comment regarding the non-slip mat and there should have been one provided in your room. I have spoken with our housekeeping department to remind them that all rooms must have one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Yelfs in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed at Yelfs on 6/4/2014 for one night. Our room was at front of the hotel so very noisy late at night, could do with some double glazing. Heating seemed to go on and off sporadically. Bathroom was the smallest i have ever been in, couldnt open the door all the way due to sink, had trouble with turning the bath taps as they were almost flush to the wall. Plenty of hot water tho which was a plus. Bed not that comfy with some stains on the cover sheet. Wall paper peeling off the wall, half the lights did not work, huge brown stain on the ceiling above the bed. Tea making facilities good. Breakfast was not good, waitress kept trying to push smoked salmon, toast was very thin and cheap tasting, pastries hard. Tea and juice nice. Staff ok, not very friendly but not rude. Upside is there is free parking and hotel is central and near the beach. Didnt try the bar or restaurant. Overall quite poor, but what can you expect for £75 a night for a double room???

Room Tip: Rooms are front are noisy, room 7 isnt great
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura F

We appreciate your comments and take all of our reviews very serviously. We have undergone a major refurbishment on the outside of the hotel and our refurbishment programme is still continuing within the hotel itself. I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Mattresses are replaced as necessary so thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will speak with our laundry supplier regarding the quality of our bed linen.

We aim to provide good quality ingredients for meals served in the hotel including our breakfast menu. We use Kingsmill thick sliced bread for our toast and I did offer you and the other guests nearby the smoked salmon, but only so that you knew that other options other than the full English breakfast were available.

Our aim is to give every guest a enjoyable experience and I would like you to accept my apologies as we did not achieve this on this occasion. Please call me direct to discuss this matter further as we would love to welcome you back to Yelfs again in the future.

Regards

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We just got back from staying at yelf's hotel from Friday 28/03/14Sunday 30/03/14 this hotel is perfect for a good old relax. Rooms very clean and comfy .restaurant food is very good we had a birthday party for our daughter on Saturday they served all 17 together and all very hot . Breakfast in the morning they have it all and the staff very helpful and friendly.For the ale man I surge sat the Isle of Wight ale on tap and at only £3 a pint that's great . The bar menu is not over priced at all In fact it about the same price as most restuarants .but if you fancy a good meal and a little drive go to the foresters pub in gods hill this has a fantastic atmosphere but do book So a big thank you to all the staff at yelf's for making our daughters birthday go without a hitch and making us welcome

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Go to the IOW monthly and usually meet friends for Dinner and drinks at Yelfs . I like the place as its in the main street, standards are usually good, staff nice and helpful, and I used to go there for lunch with my Dad 20 years ago. Anyway, food not so good this time, usually its 8/10, this time 3/10. Chef must have been off as main courses were not that hot. mine was pretty tasteless. Went for banana fritters for dessert. Yuk. more like potato fritters in mush. Should be 2 stars for the food, but beer was great, so were the staff, prices quite good, so 3 stars this time.
Hope socks are pulled up soon , as tempted to try elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JackDorset
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The hotel is spread over two buildings and a third across the road. I was given a single room at the top of the adjoining building accessed by a kind of bridge. Even at the top of the building it was noisy and Saturday night there was thumping europop bass beats from the club below. I phone reception at midnight to be told that it was nothing to do with them.

I had specifically requested a room with wifi and when I arrived and couldnt hook up was told it would be OK. The wifi did not improve. Worked OK in the area near the office only.

The place seemed to be struggling, the wall paper in my room was peeling and generally decor was shoddy.

Breakfast coffee tasted like it had been stewing al night and the cooked food was in warming trays and was equally stewed. Nothing local, all the usual mainstream brands. Could have been a seedy hotel anywhere. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Get a room in the man building...ask if you have to cross 'the bridge' to get to your room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rsw174
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Yelfs. I am sorry that it did not come up to your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately we do not have WIFI in all areas of the hotel although this is being updated and should be completed soon. The main building does have free WIFI as do all public areas including the guest lounge.

I did offer to move you to the main hotel on the first night of your stay, however, I appreciate that as you had already settled in, you did not wish to move.

Our breakfast is usually excellent and I can assure you that the coffee does not have time to stand for very long. The filter coffee we use is quite a strong blend and so I will look into some alternatives. I would like to welcome you back to Yelfs in the future and I hope that we can restore your faith in our usually excellent customer service. Please call us direct to ensure a room with full WIFI signal.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Got married yesterday in Yelfs and had a fantastic time. A good priced package, food was superb, the Wedding Breakfast was served quickly, was hot and delicious, the evening buffet was also a lovely spread combining platters and a mix from a set menu which gave USA good mix and the food was lovely, could not fault Yelfs for the venue, service and food but the rooms do let it down. We stayed in the Bridal Suite which was fine but other guests were not so happy with their rooms. One couple stayed in a room detached from the main hotel, they feel they should have been told this was happening and some the rooms need upgrading. Overall would recommend this hotel for a Wedding or any other celebration.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sylala
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Sylvia & Alan,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your very special day here at Yelfs. It was a pleasure to be able to provide you and your guests with some fond memories of an absolutely lovely day.

We have undergone a huge refurbishment of all of the outside parts of the hotel. This refurbishment is ongoing and we are working our way through all areas that need to be attended to.

We would love to welcome you both back again for your 1st Anniversary but hope to see you again in the meantime.

Congratulations to you both.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Phoned to make a booking and spoke to a lovely lady who took my booking for the same night , Upon arrival I was booked in by the manager , he was quiet polite but keep calling me MATE !!
This really annoy's me and feel customers should be addressed as Mr or Sir not MATE !

I went to my room which I must say was quite large, but noticed the room was dirty with dust everywhere.

The bathroom was very small and the door wouldn't open all the way due to the basin in the way and the bath was chipped.

Went to the bar and the same person who checked me in was there and still calling me MATE !! Arrggggg

Went in for breakfast and found myself a seat , the waitress did acknowledge me but then some other gentleman came in and she served him first ignoring me.

I ordered grilled bacon , beans , mushrooms and poached Eggs , unfortunately the bacon had been fried and the eggs wasn't cooked properly (disappointing ) , the waitress did offer to ask the chef how he cooked the bacon, but with the oil running off it I declined her offer as it was obvious.
Menu states grilled bacon , the other items had be warmed up in the microwave

I checked out and the same gentlemen was there calling me MATE , he asked if everything was ok and I explained about the dirty room.

Would think twice about staying again , but must say how nice the lady on the phone was!

Room Tip: Rm 7 not bad but needs a clean
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
YelfsHotel, General Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Yelfs Hotel. We take all our reviews and comments both good and bad very seriously and I would like to apologise if we did not provide you with an enjoyable stay on this occasion. The duty manager who did not uphold our usually high standard of customer service, has since left our employment and all our staff know that it is very impolite to call customers 'Mate'.

Housekeeping have received extra training and have been made aware of this situation.

Our breakfast is usually of an extremely high quality and neither our bacon or sausages are fried. After having spoken with our breakfast waitress she apologises if you thought she was ignoring you, but infact served the other gentlemen whilst she thought you were looking at the menu.

I would like to be able to welcome you back to Yelfs on another occasion when I am sure we can restore your faith in us and so that you can experience the excellent service and hospitality we provide.

Please call me direct if you wish to make another reservation and I look foward to welcoming you back to Yelfs Hotel again soon.

Regards

Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
#2 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!