Yelf's Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Seaview Hotel(Seaview)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsdutch roomhigh streetunion streetbar menuisle of wightno liftbar areatwo coursesbuffet breakfastlarge roomcentral locationlovely roomcomfy bedyelfsannexislandnikki
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Yelfs as my family live in Ryde and being in the town makes it really easy to see everyone within walking distance. We could leave the car in the car park with CCTV coverage with easy access to the hotel even though it is in the adjacent road.

We checked into room 11 which is at the back of the hotel. The room is a bit tired with a definitive sloppy floor. However the building is pretty old and is on Union Street which for anyone who knows Ryde, will know that it is the steep road leading up from the seafront.
On check in we were informed that there was a rugby team staying in the hotel! This would not have been a problem if they had behaved, however it became apparent that some of them were in the room above us. After a few minutes I had to go and complain at reception and the reception staff said they would deal with them and the chap who had arranged their visit.
Back in the room things got worse and I went back to reception and said that we were not prepared to stay in that room and the receptionist moved us into room 27. This room is on the top floor at the back of the hotel with a sea view, four poster bed and is a larger room. It was hoped by all concerned that this would be a quieter room for us! To cut a long story short, the rugby team were pretty uncontrollable and caused rucus most of the night into the morning! A fair number of residents complained in the morning because we had had such a disturbed nights sleep.
I contacted the hotel for the details of the manager and without any prompting she wrote to me offering a full refund and a discount on any future stay with an apology of the behaviour of the rugby team.

We are used to four star accommodation but we would stay at the hotel again, but choosing to stay in the more expensive room.

The breakfast would have benefitted from having some fresh fruit but that said it was perfectly acceptable.
All of the staff at the hotel were pleasant and friendly and given the circumstances, had their work cut out for them keeping the rugby team under some sort of control!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

visited this hotel on Saturday 4th May as friends from the mainland were staying
only used the bar area & the rest room
absolutely disgusting condition of rest rooms
went out in the evening & when we returned at 11pm, someone had been sick at the bar.
This stayed unattended to for the next half hour, when I left.
Probably the most disgusting bar I have been in, anywhere in the world
Absolutely disgraceful

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank laurencemitchell
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

I am so sorry that you had to witness the disgraceful behaviour and lack of respect for the hotel bar and restrooms last Saturday by a visiting Rugby Club, Our facilities are usually cleaned and checked regularly but we failed on this occasion to witness the incident next to the bar and it was not brought to our attention by anyone else. This is not acceptable and I sincerely appologise. Yelfs is used to a more traditional clientel and this particular crowd will not be tolerated or welcomed back again.

Please revisit us again in the future when you will see how lovely our bar and sunny beer garden really are.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Yelf's whilst attending a friends wedding.
We struggled to find the ideal hotel in Ryde but thought that Yelf's hotel would a be safe bet given the AA 3* rating and a number of positive TripAdvisor reviews. As it turned out, we were very disappointed.

First, on the positive side:
* Staff in reception were friendly and helpful in offering advice
* There was parking available, albeit a street away, which is always a bonus with a town centre hotel
* The location was good: right on the main road (Union Street) through the centre of Ryde

That said, these positive factors were far outweighed by the negatives.
* The hotel was run-down though-out the public areas with chipped paint, bird dropping dried onto the welcome placard, faded carpets and a generally run-down / tired and slightly dirty feel
* Our bedroom was to a similar standard, with chipped paintwork all round the skirting, a damp patch on the roof and dingy/cramped bathroom
* Our bedroom faced onto the high street and with single glazed windows and little or no sound insulation we heard all the noises from the high street on Friday night.
* Breakfast was poor. There was no fresh fruit at all/ no seeds, dried fruit or healthy cereals. The cooked breakfast was dried out / overcooked (e.g. scrambled eggs cooked to the point that they had turned hard and the liquid separated). The pastries were doughy and overly sweet. On our second day in the hotel we left the hotel and bought breakfast elsewhere, even though we had pre-paid.

I've checked back on the minimum standard for AA 3* hotels and I have to say I do not think this hotel merits the rating based on the levels of maintenance and the standard of the breakfast.

There is not a great choice of hotels in Ryde however many of my friends who attended the wedding the same weekend chose to stay in local B&Bs. These were lower priced and by all accounts much better value.

Room Tip: If you do stay in the hotel then I would recommend requesting a room at the back. Rooms at the front have poor sound insulation and Union Street can become noisy, especially on a Friday or Saturday night .
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

We take all our reviews very seriously and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have noted your comments regarding the accommodation and have included this in our new refurbishment programme.

I was surprised by your remarks regarding your breakfast. We have had great reviews on the quality and quantity of our breakfast . There is a framed sign on the buffet table stating that Fresh Fruit Salad is available and that during a buffet breakfast our full breakfast menu is also available from the waiter. We do not provide 'seeds' but do have muesli, Special K and Wheetabix, natural yoghurt, grapefruit and prunes. Our full breakfast menu includes freshly poached haddock, smoked salmon, kippers and many other choices.

We are very proud of the AA *** rating and the hight percentage score we have. We are inspected every year and can assure all of our customers that we endeavour to provide excellent customer service, high quality catering and good value for money accommodation.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have not stayed at Yelf's Hotel as I am local, but I took my father there for his 90th birthday and the meal we couldn't fault, it was lovely, the service was good and the staff even placed a lit candle in my fathers desert. They made him feel special.
We ate in the pretty restaurant but they also have a lovely conservatory which is more casual but still smart, ideal for business lunch's at a very good price.
Two courses £9.95
Three courses £14.95 Enjoy

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have just enjoyed a lovely two days/nights in Yelf's Hotel and were pleasantly surprised having read a few 'not so good' reviews but wishing to stay in the centre of Ryde, risked it.
The hotel had a lovely atmosphere with locals and guests together in the bars and conservatory. The food was excellent, presented well, and we had the two courses for £9.95 for dinner. Breakfast was great with good choice, excellent full English one day and smoked haddock the next! Staff friendly and helpful. Our room was large and light, looking out on the main street, but not noisy, and bed comfy. We would certainly return again.

Room Tip: Avoid front room closest to nextdoor Bar at weekends.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple