“birthday party”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Ryde, United Kingdom
“birthday party”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

many thanks to all at yelf's hotel (ryde). I booked a suprise birthday party for my wife, with overnight stay. it all went very well , we were set up in our own private room, good food , very well attended for drinks, just FIRST CLASS , a big thank you to all concerned.
would recommend yelfs , and will be back soon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
We are so pleased you decided to book Yelfs for your special birthday surprise. I have passed your kind comments on to the kitchen and waiting staff. I hope that you will choose Yelfs for your future special occasions.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Godstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2012

lovely hotel,great location, fantastic staff, bar food excellent,breakfast freshly cooked lovely,great value for money,will return. great this is one of the few hotels who actually cater for smokers

Room Tip: street rooms can hear noise at night from party goers although the hotel is very open and upfront ab...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This a is centrally situated hotel, a little old fashioned but with nice public rooms and bar. Bedroom was a bit dated but clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and cheerfully served in pleasant dining room. Staff were very friendly.Good value for money

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank serdeau
Reviewed January 1, 2012

room horrid with water stains on wall, tiny tv that was supposed to have sky tv but didnt. Bed hard and very uncomfortable. Reception staff were miserable. Breakfast was great and service was with a smile. Dont stay here go to ryde castle its 1000 times better.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank besty99
London
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Back again on the Isle of Wight. Stayed at Yelfs and as usual was not disappointed. Food great especially breakfast. Staff and management great and customer service top notch. Can;t knock this place as it is good value for money and nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

Will always use this place when I am over on the Island and can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can be a bit noisy on a Friday or Saturday Night. Just ask for one ove...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Your going to get two reviews here. The Hotel and Trip advisor reviewers.

I stayed in the main hotel so can’t speak for ant extensions or the building over opposite the main hotel.

Right, I stay in a lot of business orientated hotels (Chain hotels mainly) purely for practical purposes of being near a site. However this trip saw me having two days business in Ryde. I scrutinised Trip advisor and Yelf’s came up top trumps, apart from some negative comments about the food and the décor etc. These negative reviews are quite simply, in my view and experience, wrong but worse than that, unhelpful. I’ll elaborate during my review.

Check in was fine, its easy to find. If you have no car you’re sorted but if you do you will be instructed as to where you can park. The car park is limited so call ahead and make sure they can accommodate your car. Don’t just assume there will be parking. Because of Ryde’s narrow one way streets the drive to the car park is a little convoluted BUT you get a map so its easy. You can then walk directly through a corridor back to the street the hotel is on. Perfect. I was fully briefed on how to do this on check in.

For the light sleepers, the clue is the Hotel is on a main street SO if you want a quiet room ask for one when you book. I am a light sleeper. “assuming it has double glazing” is ridiculous. Ask when you book or if you know its going to be a clincher use Google street view! Complaining on Trip advisor it was noisy is pointless, its up to you to check, research and act.

The hotel staff on checking in were very helpful, offering to mind my bags whilst I parked the car even though it’s a short walk. I also got the nice and quiet room I had asked for.

The rooms are not “poor”, they have character yes but I found it charming and quite clean. I have fairly high but not unrealistic standards and my room was fine. Plenty of towels, bathroom material and plenty of tea and coffee and biscuits.

I took blankets off my bed the first night and it was made up to that specification the next day with the blanket folded neatly to one side. That is attention to detail and service. I like that. The single small towel I placed in the bath was also replaced. Did you know some people actually complain on this site if they “find old water in the kettle”! How insane is that?

I ate both a la carte and bar food for meals and they were both great. Chef should be proud. The a la carte was subtle enough and the bar food robust, wholesome and buth packed full of flavour. I did not try wine or beers. I also enjoyed my Breakfasts. I have a specific requirement and I asked for it and it was met perfectly. Well prepared and to compare them to Travel lodge breakfasts (as one reviewer did) is utterly silly! However I was not there on the weekend when I understand you get a buffet.

I’m beginning to learn that I have to accept on Trip advisor that some people are just moaners.

More on the food, you can have either bar food or al la carte as I said and both, as I said, are quite acceptable. You can sit in the posh looking restaurant room, the bar or in quiet alcoves just off the bar. I even had the choice of a la carte or bar menu given to me in the posh restaurant. You can also eat in any of the many eateries down the street the Hotel is on, I usually head out but the food was fine so I ate in the hotel both nights.

This is a clean, well presented, good hotel. Its staff are friendly and helpful, rooms clean and it has bags of character. All of which is well worth the price. I would stay there on holiday and defiantly will if business sees me returning to the Isle of White and I hope it does!

As for unsubstantiated negative trip advisor reviews. I’m getting fed up of them and have learned to see past them.

Finally, the reason I chose to stay here despite some of the negative Trip advisor comments is because you can see the manager responds to issues raised on this site. A lot of hotels don’t make that effort. I recommend, if you have a problem with a hotel, raise it with the manager there and then, only after doing that write up your experience. Don’t just slink off to your PC without the courage of your convictions to complain to Hotel staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank BusinessManUK
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for your review of Yelfs. I found your comments to be a refreshing and honest. I look forward to welcoming you back to Yelfs in the future and am sure you will enjoy your stay with us once again

Regards

The Manager
Bournemouth
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I booked this hotel last minute for my partner and I - Saturday 8th October 2011. As we arrived at 5.30pm, parking on the road directly outside the hotel was free and we could keep the car there for all of the following day. Although upon arrival, we were offered alternative parking in the hotel's car park should we wish. We were greeted by an extremely helpful and lovely lady - Harriet. Harriet was informative and very welcoming / friendly (thank you!). Our room was large, spacious and clean at the front of the building - room no. 7. Although it was on the road side, yes you could hear cars passing etc, but I am an extremely light sleeper and I slept perfectly! The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom was lovely and clean. The hotel provided us with an iron and ironing board very quickly when requested. There was a night porter which allowed us back into the hotel after the main doors were closed - very friendly also. The breakfast offered a large range of options for every taste and was included in the room price. We had a lovely weekend on the Isle of Wight and were very pleased with Yelfs. Thank you for the outstanding service we received. We'd most certainly return to Yelfs should we visit the IOW in the future. There is also a LOVELY restaurant / bar almost opposite the hotel named Olivio - highly recommended. Thank you Yelfs! A. Campbell.

• Stayed October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
Best Western New Holmwood Hotel

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!