“A reminder how refreshing a good hotel can be and a review of reviewers!”
Review of Yelf's Hotel

Yelf's Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
London
“A reminder how refreshing a good hotel can be and a review of reviewers!”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Your going to get two reviews here. The Hotel and Trip advisor reviewers.

I stayed in the main hotel so can’t speak for ant extensions or the building over opposite the main hotel.

Right, I stay in a lot of business orientated hotels (Chain hotels mainly) purely for practical purposes of being near a site. However this trip saw me having two days business in Ryde. I scrutinised Trip advisor and Yelf’s came up top trumps, apart from some negative comments about the food and the décor etc. These negative reviews are quite simply, in my view and experience, wrong but worse than that, unhelpful. I’ll elaborate during my review.

Check in was fine, its easy to find. If you have no car you’re sorted but if you do you will be instructed as to where you can park. The car park is limited so call ahead and make sure they can accommodate your car. Don’t just assume there will be parking. Because of Ryde’s narrow one way streets the drive to the car park is a little convoluted BUT you get a map so its easy. You can then walk directly through a corridor back to the street the hotel is on. Perfect. I was fully briefed on how to do this on check in.

For the light sleepers, the clue is the Hotel is on a main street SO if you want a quiet room ask for one when you book. I am a light sleeper. “assuming it has double glazing” is ridiculous. Ask when you book or if you know its going to be a clincher use Google street view! Complaining on Trip advisor it was noisy is pointless, its up to you to check, research and act.

The hotel staff on checking in were very helpful, offering to mind my bags whilst I parked the car even though it’s a short walk. I also got the nice and quiet room I had asked for.

The rooms are not “poor”, they have character yes but I found it charming and quite clean. I have fairly high but not unrealistic standards and my room was fine. Plenty of towels, bathroom material and plenty of tea and coffee and biscuits.

I took blankets off my bed the first night and it was made up to that specification the next day with the blanket folded neatly to one side. That is attention to detail and service. I like that. The single small towel I placed in the bath was also replaced. Did you know some people actually complain on this site if they “find old water in the kettle”! How insane is that?

I ate both a la carte and bar food for meals and they were both great. Chef should be proud. The a la carte was subtle enough and the bar food robust, wholesome and buth packed full of flavour. I did not try wine or beers. I also enjoyed my Breakfasts. I have a specific requirement and I asked for it and it was met perfectly. Well prepared and to compare them to Travel lodge breakfasts (as one reviewer did) is utterly silly! However I was not there on the weekend when I understand you get a buffet.

I’m beginning to learn that I have to accept on Trip advisor that some people are just moaners.

More on the food, you can have either bar food or al la carte as I said and both, as I said, are quite acceptable. You can sit in the posh looking restaurant room, the bar or in quiet alcoves just off the bar. I even had the choice of a la carte or bar menu given to me in the posh restaurant. You can also eat in any of the many eateries down the street the Hotel is on, I usually head out but the food was fine so I ate in the hotel both nights.

This is a clean, well presented, good hotel. Its staff are friendly and helpful, rooms clean and it has bags of character. All of which is well worth the price. I would stay there on holiday and defiantly will if business sees me returning to the Isle of White and I hope it does!

As for unsubstantiated negative trip advisor reviews. I’m getting fed up of them and have learned to see past them.

Finally, the reason I chose to stay here despite some of the negative Trip advisor comments is because you can see the manager responds to issues raised on this site. A lot of hotels don’t make that effort. I recommend, if you have a problem with a hotel, raise it with the manager there and then, only after doing that write up your experience. Don’t just slink off to your PC without the courage of your convictions to complain to Hotel staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank BusinessManUK
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for your review of Yelfs. I found your comments to be a refreshing and honest. I look forward to welcoming you back to Yelfs in the future and am sure you will enjoy your stay with us once again

Regards

The Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Bournemouth
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I booked this hotel last minute for my partner and I - Saturday 8th October 2011. As we arrived at 5.30pm, parking on the road directly outside the hotel was free and we could keep the car there for all of the following day. Although upon arrival, we were offered alternative parking in the hotel's car park should we wish. We were greeted by an extremely helpful and lovely lady - Harriet. Harriet was informative and very welcoming / friendly (thank you!). Our room was large, spacious and clean at the front of the building - room no. 7. Although it was on the road side, yes you could hear cars passing etc, but I am an extremely light sleeper and I slept perfectly! The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom was lovely and clean. The hotel provided us with an iron and ironing board very quickly when requested. There was a night porter which allowed us back into the hotel after the main doors were closed - very friendly also. The breakfast offered a large range of options for every taste and was included in the room price. We had a lovely weekend on the Isle of Wight and were very pleased with Yelfs. Thank you for the outstanding service we received. We'd most certainly return to Yelfs should we visit the IOW in the future. There is also a LOVELY restaurant / bar almost opposite the hotel named Olivio - highly recommended. Thank you Yelfs! A. Campbell.

• Stayed October 2011
Portsmouth
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Room okay, tv old type had to wiggle leads to get reception.Make sure you get room away from front as single glazed windows and noisy bar underneath.Breakfast a disapointment served out of hot trays like a travel lodge,not what you expect for the money,as stayed there before hotel seems to be going downhil

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank FIREMANSAM_10
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed for one night on a friday. Reception staff were friendly and helpful in answering all our questions. We had a spacious room which was very clean. The food was good and the plates were full. Good choice of items for breakfast. Our room was at the front of the hotel and some noise was heard at night, but it was good natured, no fighting or swearing. This noise was from outside, not the guests or the hotel bar.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel may be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here in September. Room was unbearably hot & even though I was able to obtain a fan I still found it uncomfortable. Room was a good size, decor a litle tired but furniture all matched and was clean. The bathroom was very disappointing, old and tired looking, needs replacing. No shower, not even one attached to bath taps and the bath took half an hour to fill. I expected better for the money. No lifts and you may have a couple of flights of stairs to climb.Noisy on Friday & Saturday nights as there are several bars nearby. Breakfast very good, nice choice. Bar & lounge areas nice. Good location for getting about, bus stop practically outside hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jazzerbear
Reading
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Thank you so much for looking after our small Stag Party on 22 July 2011, we all enjoyed our stay ! The breakfast you provide is top class and your SAUSAGES are to die for ! So a big well done to YELF'S HOTEL !!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
I am so glad you all enjoyed your stay here at Yelfs. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed here in room number 7 at the front of the hotel. It was an awful experience there were drunks out shouting swearing and screaming until 4am. There is a music bar opposite which plays loudly until 2 am. I had specifically asked for a quiet room when I booked but no notice was taken and there was no interest or apology from the hotel after I complained. All rooms at the front of this hotel will be very noisy !!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cassan1
YelfsHotel, Manager at Yelf's Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
I am very sorry that you experienced a disturbed nights sleep. Your request was noted but unfortunately during this busy period we could not allocate you a quieter room. As Yelfs is situated in the middle a bustling seaside town it can get quite lively on a Saturday night as there are many bars and restaurants on Union Street. I have tried to call you and have only been able to leave a message which you have not responded to. We do pride ourselves on our customer service (which you will note from many previous reviews) and I would like to speak with you to discuss your complaint.

Kind Regards

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Yelf's Hotel? Share your experiences!