“Good location - plenty of parking”
Review of Dorset Hotel

Dorset Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Ryde B&B and Inns
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Good location - plenty of parking”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Located about 300 metres from the seafront (up a hill), this hotel benefits from a secluded and more then adequate car park (located in a parking zone area, so really useful). Friendly welcome, well appointed rooms and a good breakfast. Feels more like guest house than an hotel, but that's almost a benefit.
Well stocked bar, in-room tea/coffee facilities, complimentary bottled water and biscuits and a garden to sit in (weather permitting).

Room Tip: The Victoria suite has wooden shutters and although on road elevation is extremely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
TEWKESBURY
Reviewed June 13, 2013

For the money, it was what we expected. Rooms quite tight and the owners had done everything they could to make it comfortable within its own limitations. Being central Ryde, I imagine they get quite a few stag and hen parties here. They were nice down to earth people and breakfast was plentiful, so long as you don't expect the Ritz, it's a good choice within easy reach of everything within Ryde itself. Big comfortable lounge, if you were part of a big party needing somewhere easy, this is the perfect solution.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank IAN S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This B&B was very similar to many of the old and shabby B&B's in the UK. The fittings and refurbishments were cheap and poorly maintained, often not clean and working. The rooms were tiny and smelt strongly of cleaning products - a shame given it was originally a grand Georgian building that has had numerous internal changes to accommodate twenty additional rooms at least. The Bathrooms were old and dirty without windows. However, the reason for this review was that at 11pm on the first and only night there we discovered we had no hot water in the shower. As reception closes at 10pm we did not contact the after hours number (which we had tried to call earlier in the evening for directions but was diverted to a fax number anyway). In the morning we still found barely luke-warm water. When I told the man on the desk as we were checking out, he got very cross and defensive and insisted we were wrong and simply unable to work the tap system correctly. I was quite taken aback as I was not trying to get a discount or even make a serious complaint - merely be helpful with future guests in mind. Personally I would have thought it useful information that could be rectified with a simple instruction sign for future use. I will certainly never stay there again or recommend friends or family.

Room Tip: ask to stay in the room that they were awarded three stars on the basis of!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I have noted your comments and respond as follows:

On departure you mentioned to me that you had experienced a problem and you had no hot water I explained at the time that if this was the case then other rooms would have complained as the water is run off the same boiler and as 14 of the 22 rooms had been let on the Monday night other complaints would have been received. I asked the persons in the room next door and opposite after your departure if they had experienced problems with water and no problems had been experienced. Following your departure I visited your room immediately as advised I would and found a good supply of hot water.

The room you were occupying has an annual occupancy of 81% if there was a need for a notice to be displayed in the past it would have been displayed. There was someone on reception until 11.00 p.m. and as advised the 24 hour helpline number is displayed in the directory of services. I would have gladly demonstrated how to operate the shower but as no request was received we were unaware that you were experiencing problems.

I am glad the room smelt of cleaning products rather than dust as this demonstrates our daily cleaning facilities. At £ 23.50 per person plus v.a.t and laterooms commission for bed and BREAKFAST. we provide three star guest accommodation not hotel and if you expectations were for hotel facilities for this price we would be unable to match your expectations. 3 star hotel accommodation is priced on the island at £95.00 and above.

I am disappointed that you experienced this problem but it could have be rectified with communication at the time rather than on departure. If you consider I was being defensive this is not the case frustrated yes that you failed to mention it at breakfast or the previous evening.
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked through Booking.com Excellent value for money. 3 minutes walk from some great places to eat. Had man flu all weekend, the staff was very helpful. The car park is a little tight as I had a big van so they let me park on the front of the hotel as it was full of high value products. Great place to stay if you are on a budget. Would be my first choice again when visiting the I O W.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Beautybuff
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay with us, I am glad you found us reasonable value for money, We are a budget friendly operation and try to create a traditional bed and breakfast atmosphere with the added bonus of having a licensed bar. The car park at the rear which accommodates 16 cars has a tight pull in especially for vans but we do have space on the front for commercial vehicles. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our establishment on some future occasion.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife had joined me for my weekend business appointment on the island and we turned my commitment into a night away. I had chosen to stay in one of their more expensive rooms which The Dorset Hotel markets as a suite.

Our 'suite' was based on the ground floor at the front of the hotel. The centre of Ryde is walkable from the Dorset Hotel, but despite the location within the hotel, we had a good uninterrupted nights sleep in the comfortable bed.

The room wasn't really a suite however, as a suite usually has a separate living area. It is a larger room however, which does have room for two armchairs. Quite impressive is the inclusion of an iPod docking station, not something frequently seen in rooms in this modern era. The Dorset Hotel is to be complimented for thinking of such an inclusion. There were also two wine glasses which was another thoughtful amenity.

The bathroom was immaculate, very tastefully decorated and our first impressions of the room in general was that it was well appointed.

In the morning, guests go downstairs for breakfast in another well decorated room - some may call it twee, but it seemed tasteful to us. Your full English is cooked to order and there is also a choice of fresh fruit, cereals and fruit juices.

The Dorset Hotel would definitely have achieved five TripAdvisor 'blobs' had it not been for the following:
- Bathroom door needs re-varnishing or replacing immediately
- Water pressure for shower wasn't great (which admittedly may not be the hotel's fault)
- Strike a deal with a local butcher for the sausage at breakfast, it feels like a cheap option from Brakes catering supplies
- Female member of staff is never to be seen without chewing gum on every occasion and male member of staff irritatingly quietly whistles throughout breakfast - it took every measure of tolerance not to say something.

Despite the above points, we would still recommend The Dorset Hotel over the Crown in Ryde for a first or return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on the ground floor if you prefer a larger room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ConsumerBloke
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your detailed review, when you occupied the room you only used the bedroom part of the suite a large lounge is attached but when booked through booking agencies such as booking.com or laterooms we only market it as a bedroom and we are reluctant to pay commission on lounges. We hope to welcome you back on some future occasion if you are visiting the island.
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is my second tome staying at the Dorset and the staff are always friendly and help you to enjoy your stay. After breaking down down the side road of the hotel the receptionist was very helpful and let the rest of the party into their rooms as I waited for the AA!! We stayed in room 22 which had just had a refurbishment. Bed was very comfy and breakfast was yummy.

Got talking to one of the owners who had us in stitches, very friendly staff. highly recommended great location and near to town. I shall be returning again in 2013 :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank greenie69
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review we appreciate your comments and glad you were satisfied with the standards we provided and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on some future occasion
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

stayed for one night and didn't want to be in the room. It smelt of damp and the appearance was poor. Didn't want to stay for breakfast as I did not enjoy my stay at all. very close to the main street in Ryde though so location is good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank intheria
RydeMichael31, Owner at Dorset Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we were obviously disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent visit to the establishment. This booking was made and paid for on your behalf by your company at a cost of £32.00 plus v.a.t. for a single en suite room. I note your preference in your profile states "nothing but the best" perhaps you need to advise the company paying your bills of this as the best does not come at £32.00 per night. we provide bed and breakfast at budget prices offering a friendly service, clean accommodation and excellent breakfast which you did not sample as you booked yourself on the 7.00 a.m. ferry back to the mainland.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
Royal Esplanade Hotel
#3 of 29 in Sandown
Yelf's Hotel
Yelf's Hotel
#6 of 6 in Ryde

Been to Dorset Hotel? Share your experiences!