“Mine sweeping pints to serve to customers...”
Review of Hong Kong Express

Hong Kong Express
Ranked #33 of 88 Restaurants in Ryde
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This rather nice take-away or sit-in Chinese retaurant is on the front at Ryde, opposite the pier.
London
“Mine sweeping pints to serve to customers...”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Have been ill from this place before - as in the world fell out of me...

This weekend was something special though - ordered half a lager at the bar, waited for about 15 minutes and then asked for it again, was told that the manager was coming to do it which he did.
I was stood at the counter and asked for the half fosters I had ordered, pointed at the tap and was told it wasn't working. The manager then stood round the side, I guess trying to hide out of view, while he proceeded to pour half drunk / leftover pints from the tables into a half pint glass. Obviously these old pints were a bit flat so the flare up the swift hald a bit he poured some Carling from a can into the top. The manager then placed the half on the bar and went to walk off... I said to him that I didn't want that as I'd watched him use dregs to make it up, looking a bit flustered and caught out he came back over, held up an unopened can of Carling and said "Oh you wanted a fresh one?" "That'd be great..." I replied, a bit bemused. He did and I drank it. Turns out it might have peeved him off slightly as no more drinks were allowed to be served - heaven forbid he might have to serve proper drinks!
It does make me wonder whether they do this with food as well, I know a few people who have suffered from this place. My friends crispy chilli beef was stone cold when it came out.

It's all a bit dodgy really...

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank TNewman2010

“Good value”
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Easy to find on the Esplanade directly opposite Ryde Esplanade railway/bus station. Been there several times and have always enjoyed the food. Generous portions so don't go ordering too much off the varied menu. Lady on the next table said there was enough for 4 on her plate - not too much of an exageration. Staff always seem helpful and friendly - even during the busy periods. If you're hungry then it's well worth a visit.

UK
“Not good at all”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I went to the Hong Kong express in Newport. It was not good. The staff did not seem keen to supply napkins or clear the table in between courses. WHen they did, as a new course came, they had to be asked for cutlery... The food appeared to be luke warm on the outside and cold in the middle of the plate
I ordered crispy duck, the guy who 'shredded' it for me just pulled it into chunks and walked away. The 'crispy beef' was soggy and tasteless.t The rice, both boiled and egg fried was only luke warm and totally bland
To cap it all there was a lot of flies circling which I found off putting. Disappointing

Visited August 2012
Petersfield, Hampshire
“Quick service and tasty food”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stopped at this Chinese Restaurant en route to The Needles. Had a very pleasant meal. Good value food and huge (and I mean HUGE) portions. Normally I will have at least 4 dishes at a Chinese restaurant. Could only manage 2 here. Tried to go back a few days later but the wife wasn't having any of it!

Visited August 2012
Devon
“GREAT FOOD- CLEAN-FRIENDLY”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Cannot fault this restaurant,good choice of menu.Our food was well presented and delicious,the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble......We were in Isle of Wight for just four days and went back there twice.