“Nice food, ssme it wasnt bussier”
Review of Dos Amigos - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dos Amigos
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Dining options: Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: http://www.isleofwighttouristguide.com/view-listing/dos-amigos/1725/
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Nice food, ssme it wasnt bussier”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Nice food, but afew points. Tables werent as clean as i would have liked. Reminded me of sticky pub tables. Service was overall good but was one point when there was no one at all front of house to helo customers or to seat people. Overall was nice though. Would go back.

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Good food & value for money”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Family meal out. Good menu & something for everyone. Quality of food was very food - although no ribs so my son was dissapointed, but hey plenty of other things for him to choose from! Service was good, but not enough staff on, our waiter was everywhere bless him! Would definatley return.

• Visited September 2012
Woking, United Kingdom
“Beware of suspicious reviews for Dos Amigos”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I haven't been to the Isle of Wight since I was a child, so I was looking forward to discovering the cuisine the island had to offer - I wasn't disappointed.

My wife and I visited Dos Amigos and it was only the third Mexican we'd ever been to. For some reason, I never thought the cuisine was appealing but I'm beginning to be won over - actually, after our visit to Dos Amigos the conversion continues...

We ordered a bottle of rose to go with our meal and the friendly waitress with smooth delivery suggested that we open it ourselves. In most places I've reviewed on TripAdvisor it would be highly likely that I would be insulted at such a suggestion. Even my wife commented on the chilled-out manner of the waitress - I wasn't insulted having to open it whatsoever but in fact charmed by the laid back atmosphere of Dos Amigos.

For mains, my wife had chicken fajitas and I had steak quesadillas. That was going to be it, but I do enjoy nachos, my wife less so - she finds them boring. I was in a Mexican, surely they had to be better than my Mitchell & Butler owned local, Ember Inns who clearly buy them in mass-produced? So we decided to share a single portion...

Mitchell & Butler should be ashamed of themselves and learn a thing or two from Dos Amigos. I bit into a nacho and could see individual layers, they were so light and fluffy. The real judge? My wife who doesn't even like nachos - she loved them in Dos Amigos.

When our mains got taken away, the waitress did the standard service check asking if everything was okay. I wanted to know when the nachos were baked, given that the menu did say they were homemade. The waitress was immediately concerned that the nachos may have been stale. I reassured the waitress that we WERE happy. I told the waitress that since an ex was a chef and I know the tricks of the trade, whatever I was told I'd add two days to. E.G. They were made on Friday means they were made on Wednesday.

The waitress returned to tell me they were made freshly everyday. You can TASTE that that is the case.

So moved was I by the experience that when I saw someone who I suspected to be the owner go outside for a cheaky cigarette I decided to speak with him to congratulate him on his excellent food and outlet.

He was like his staff, friendly, hospitable and welcoming. I returned indoors and with empty glasses my wife and I decided on two tequilas which we were then told were on the house.

This tops off an excellent experience which thoroughly deserves the five TripAdvisor 'blobs'. However...

... reading some of the reviews of Dos Amigos, I can't help thinking I've found the first outlet in over 40 reviews I've written which is suffering from malicious reviews. There are people slating this outlet who have barely written five reviews.

Ryde comes across a small community which if one person is upset could easily ask others to post equally negative and malicious reviews faking their location for example.

When I read all the five blob reviews I find myself reading reviews which are far more representative of the experience my wife and I had.

My ONLY criticism, which I wrote on the feedback form was the nailbiting young waiter who delivered our main courses. Not once at our table, but at least twice. Young, perhaps inexperienced, but a word in his ear re food and hygiene is the ONLY critical piece of feedback - otherwise - superb!

You may think this review is 'gushing' and potentially false - think again. I don't even live on the Isle of Wight and operate on TripAdvisor under my real name. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ConsumerBloke
iow
“don't waste your money”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I used to go to this restaurant a couple of years ago and it was quite good, so decided to take my son. The service was good and the place still looks the same OK Mexican themed décor but the food was horrible. I had some stale nuked nacho's with tacky cheese,sour cream and guacamole which was horrible, followed by Cajun chicken which was hot but tasteless, served with a small portion of pilaf rice which seemed to have come out of a packet. My son had some fried Mexican things which were tasteless, and a bacon and cheese burger and spicy fry's, the bacon had a big rind still on it and the burger crumbled to pieces and was tasteless the fry's and his starter looked like and tasted like they had been cooked in oil that was desperate to be changed. The bill was £30 but I didn't complain because it was just so so awful. Will not be going back that's for sure. Don't go.

• Visited July 2012
Banbury, United Kingdom
“Hola Amigos!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Loved it! Great decor and very attentive service. Yummy food, fun music. Obviously popular, what more could you want!

• Visited June 2012