“A unique piece of history”

Donald McGill Archive & Museum
Ranked #14 of 38 things to do in Ryde
More attraction details
Owner description: Our museum pays homage to Donald McGill, who spent his life creating comic artworks for the then thriving postcard industry. Donald created over 12,000 postcards from 1904 till his death in 1962.You will find that Donald's Cards will depict anything and everyone, his watchful eye never missed a humorous situation as he witnessed the years as they rolled through the 20th century.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had been on the Isle of wight and this was to be our last attraction before we returned to the mainland, We needed a cuppa , so in we went , the museum is well worth visiting for everybody irrespective of age or nationallity

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I found it difficult as I am only 4ft 11 to read the postcards as many of them were above me and there did not seem enough light. It was though very interesting and I am pleased we managed to fit it in. Coffee and snacks in the cafe very good

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We went looking for this little museum as my American wife didn't understand my 'postcard' humour. It's a fine little museum full of interesting facts about the postcards of Mr McGill - some fine exhibits, plenty of history about McGill, his cards and the famous (infamous) court cases. Even my wife found the cards funny. And although at the back of the coffee shop it was good value for money (£3 for both of us). Argreed that if busy it would have been tricky given the size and shape but we were able to spend a good hour in there - we never once slipped out (if you go you'll get the joke - I hope).

Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you are of a certain age then a trip to the seaside wasn't complete without a saucy postcard. This is a display of the work of one of the most famous postcard designers and is bound to make you chuckle.

Interestingly, like Carry on films, there is actually nothing rude about them - it is all in your own mind which was a fact that was apparently used in one of the court cases for indecency.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Difficult to find - but be persistant - it is at the back of a cafe which serves excellent coffee!
I think you probably need to be over 60 to appreciate the humour. The reviews of court cases etc. were of particular interest - how times have changed!