“Hostile Service”

Ranked #3 of 95 Restaurants in Ryde
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

A group of friends came to the Isle to visit us and we were keen to introduce them to our local delights. We enjoyed a fantastic, though brisk coastal walk, a lovely rural drive and we were then hoping for a nice drink in a warm, friendly, traditional inn. However, on entering this establishment our group were coldly received.

We were discouraged from buying drinks because in a minimum of 90 minutes time the 1st of the reserved tables was to be occupied.

Based on the pub being one table away from being empty I'd have thought they'd welcome the custom! But no, the unfriendly bar keep reluctantly offered us an insufficient number of bar side stools and suggested we should be swift. Frankly, I was embarrassed!

2  Thank cherichcherich

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Visited on a Sunday lunchtime on our way back to the ferry at East cowes , had been recommended by another member of the family .Booked a week before our visit would advise this as full on the Sunday . Staff pleasant and helpful and we had a table in the bar area , we all ordered various Roast lunches .
The food was was wonderful and I would recommend visiting for Sunday lunch , portions just right and plenty of vegetables . The puddings we had were fantastic , lemon tart I would have again and the spotted dick was a hit with several others .
Great food ,good beer and we will be returning again .

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I walked here on a very wet windy day. We were greeted by friendly staff who suggested we sat by the open fire.

We ordered jacket spud which was huge! The types of balls me brains makes ( can't use the proper word on here!) , mash and gravy and I had veal in a mushroom and brandy sauce with fresh veg. All our food looked beautiful and I was very impressed with the selection of five different fresh vegetables. My dinner was about £12. In my experience in a restaurant you could easily pay £20 for this dish.

Will certainly be making this a regular stomp for excellent food and sensible prices.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Had a recent night out here with friends. Gentleman behind the bar was very friendly and welcoming with a lovely sense of humour, not sure if the same can be said for his colleague! We all had something different and the presentation and quality of our meals was very good with plenty for our plates. The only criticism for me is that I ordered the veggie option off the specials board but when it came the sautéd potatoes were with bacon - oops!! Wasn't a big issue, apologies given and was quickly sorted.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

If only more restaurants based themselves on the White Hart Model, lovely homely,friendly atmosphere yet first class service and food. If you are on the island this is a must visit place. cannot wait until my next visit