“So nearly there....”

Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ryde
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We found service in this "leisure Centre" of a spa-hotel to be excellent.The staff are a mix of British and Eastern European, all with two-a-penny smiles and chat. After breakfast one grey morning, we were reading in the lounge near the breakfast area when one of the waitresses asked if we would like some of the left-over pastries. They were perfect for our walk later that morning. We couldn't fault the food. Even when, arriving late, the muesli had run out, we found plenty of alternatives on the buffet table.
We walked most of the way to the island's capital, Newport, discovering an ancient farm, originally wheat-farmed by monks in the 15th C; nowadays lavender is the produce. Try their Lavender and Lemon Shortbread with a cuppa.They produce small bottles of lavender oil which fit into tiny corners of luggage.
There doesn't appear to be any way of covering the 4miles to the capital without walking on a road for part of the way. Luckily, after the lavender farm, we discovered a bus stop. Buses are frequent and well-used on the island and all of them run to/from Newport. I would have liked the hotel to have had more information on local walks.
Our room,[overlooking the lake and far fields of brindled cows], lighting, bed, and bathroom were spacious and clean. Kettle etc for hot drinks. Twin packs of biscuits. Even bottled water.
So, just what is it that lets this well-sited establishment down? I think the soft landscaping gives a feeble first impression...
Visit Osborne House, which is expensive but absolutely stunning and compare the gardens. Viburnum bonariensis and Phormiums [flax] plants are fine when planted with compatibles, but they are just depressingly placed at Lakeside Park, expected to be statements. If ever there was a beautiful location screaming for Dan Pearson [Millenium Dome, Olympic Park] or even a lesser designer, then Lakeside Park is it.

Room Tip: Though near door to reception, room 7 was quiet and had a rural view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for the weekend and can honestly say it was one of the best weekends of my life.
The location is beautiful and very peaceful. The hotel itself was clean and light and our room was spacious and overlooked the countryside.
The spa was amazing and the staff were very hospitable and pleasant.
The chef should be proud because I have never had a more delicious meal!
I was very sad to leave and hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I booked a four night mid-week break through Secret Escapes, including transport via Southampton and Cowes with the Red Funnel line. All the administrative arrangements went smoothly and we arrived at the Lakeside Park hotel after a very short journey from Cowes, passing Osborne House on the way. We were immediately impressed by the setting and there was ample parking close to the hotel entrance. Our room overlooking the lake was fitted out with modern wooden furniture, the only criticism being the lack of a mini refrigerator despite an obvious alcove for one between the wardrobes. The bedside lights were particularly noticeable having an additional flexible attachment for reading to avoid disturbing one's partner. My wife, who is a keen swimmer, tried out the pool. Although she enjoyed her swim, her comments were that she was not told beforehand that she had to collect her towel at the spa reception outside the pool and she noted that there was no supervision, although this might be different if there had been children present. Contrary to some reviewers' experiences we had no criticism at all of the restaurant. Service was quick and pleasant and the food was of excellent quality, both in the evening and at breakfast, I agree, however, with the view that the choice on offer could not really be described as a Continental breakfast as this should include cold meats and cheese. The hotel's location is very good for visits to Osborne House, Carisbrooke Castle (use your car, otherwise it is a very long uphill walk !) and the East coast resorts of Ryde and Sandown. Summarising, we thoroughly enjoyed our break and can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake, though involving an extra charge, are much more attractive than those ov...
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We would not wish to find fault with the service given to us by all the staff at this hotel - they could not have done more. The booking, the ferry journey and the room allocation were all perfectly executed. The fine dining food in the resturant coupled with superb sevice was also excellent. Our room was comfortable and had a great view over the lake. The location is excellent for Island touring with many attractions on its doorstep. Well done the management of this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Booked ferry passage and two nights in an executive twin room through Red Funnel Ferries who were superb. The hotel was very easy to find with a long sweeping drive up to the hotel. I was slightly disappointed with the hotel frontage and especially the signage direction for the reception, which is towards the end of the building past the Brasserie sign. However once inside the welcome from reception staff was very good, the interior décor was relaxing and well maintained. The room itself was of ample size, clean and tidy with plenty of storage space. The bathroom was of a similar standard with the obligatory shampoo's, conditioners, body cream etc. My one query is why no mini-bar or fridge - there is space underneath the tea making facility and would have been very useful to store my bottled water. I don't trust basic tap water from the bathroom ! I did have to turn the AirCon off as it wouldn't go below 21c and slightly noisy but with the windows open and fresh air coming into the room I had two good nights sleep.
The hotel staff are well trained and very accommodating and cheerful and I urge you to try the bar menu - scrumptious and plentiful, especially the crab sandwich. Similarly, the breakfast choice's were plentiful and fresh. If like me you prefer fried eggs to the mass produced scrambled just ask a breakfast staff member who will order freshly fried eggs from the kitchen for you.
A thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable stay and I have no doubt I will return.

Room Tip: Room 39 overlooks the car park which did not cause any noise problems. I suspect the Lakeside rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just back from a three night break booked via Secret Escapes. All went like clockwork - car ferry, bottle of prosecco, an evening meal and two spa treatments all included in the price.
Room was good and although overlooking the car park, rather than the lake, was probably the quieter option - hotel exterior was a little bland (could liken it to a TravelLodge!!) but the inside decor and layout more than compensated. Particularly liked the herb plantings on the way to the restaurant.
Evening meal on the first night was superb (really liked the restaurant) and the breakfasts were great, plenty of selection plus good coffee (my husband was very appreciative of this).
Took advantage of the spa facilities which were pretty good, enjoyed the treatments and the pool.
Good location on the Island, convenient for getting around and the bus service is very good - shows our age as we were able to use our bus passes!!! Good to leave the car at the hotel.
On the whole a great break on the Island - even the weather was kind to us.

2  Thank Justalocal9
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my fiancé, had never been to the IOW before so was a lovely change. We originally booked a Lake View Double, and arrived to find we had been given a suite overlooking the car park instead. Initially I was disappointed, until a member of staff showed us one of the Lake View Doubles and it was less than half the size of the room we had been allocated! Yes a lake view would have been nice, but we had absolutely no qualms about it because our suite was beautiful!! Four poster bed (mattress and pillows were a bit too hard for our liking unfortunately), a bath, a dining table, two sofas, a large TV, so we really didn't mind about the view in the end!
The only thing I would say is that we did find three spiders and a dead fly in the room, one of which was gigantic! Understandable considering there's fields around but still something I'd rather not have found! Also, because we were right above reception the sound of the doors constantly opening and closing did get a little annoying but nothing we couldn't tolerate!
We booked a table at the restaurant on the first night, there was a lovely quiet atmosphere and the staff were efficient and very polite. I chose the vegetarian option and didn't enjoy it much, but that's just down to personal taste! My fiancé on the other hand had the steak which was cooked to perfection. On the second night I chose to have the chicken main course which was much more enjoyable, and we both had an amazing dark chocolate tart for dessert.
We also made use of the spa facilities, the swimming pool is quite small but nice to swim in nevertheless, and the hot tub is lovely to use too. Only negative would be that there were quite a few cobwebs and spiders in the corners of the windows.
I had pre-booked some spa treatments with my room booking about a month beforehand, as I'd heard they may not be able to fit you in otherwise! The staff at the spa were lovely, really friendly and down to earth, I had a European Deep Cleanse facial and a ZenSpa pedicure and my fiancé had the Executive Hand Care and the Gentleman's Ritual Massage. The spa rooms were really relaxing, and we both enjoyed our treatments, I did notice that we were both finished at the same time though, my fiancé's treatments were meant to last half an hour longer than mine so he was a little disappointed. On the whole though, the spa was a really enjoyable experience and we did tip our therapists!
For our first visit to the Island, the hotel and room definitely made our trip. The staff are lovely, the hotel is clean and welcoming, and the food was delicious. I'd really recommend this place to couples who want a little getaway!

Room Tip: A suite is so worth it!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ryde
The Royal Hotel
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
North House
North House
#2 of 5 in Cowes

Been to Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!