Our young family had a nice stay in Kingfisher at Calbourne Water Mill. The house is modern and spacious inside and the location is great for the visiting south and west of the Isle of Wight. The staff were also very welcoming an friendly throughout our stay and we were allowed full use of the mill grounds including the pedallos.
However, had we paid full price (we had saved 40% with a late deal) at over 1k for the week, we would have been disappointed with the quality of the interior in the lodge, especially the kitchen, which was very cheap and lacking in cupboard space. We also had to clean out the dishwasher on arrival which was clogged up with food - not what you want to be doing while on holiday! Another annoyance was the lack of Wifi in the lodge, which was advertised but was actually only in the cafe at the mill and not in the lodge itself. The lack of any decent phone signal was also a problem.
Overall it was a good stay for the price we paid. It could be made better with some simple things like:
- Provision of a stairgate;
- Wifi in the lodge (as advertised) - it is a modern property after all;
- More cupboard space and better pots/pans/utensils in the kitchen;
- fixing some of the maintenance issues/annoyances (doors not closing properly, shower door loose etc)
- Thinner duvets in the summer (13.5 tog for July is too warm!)
- Better outdoor play equipment onsite, which would be an attraction for the mill too.
Despite the above, I would recommend it as a late deal - but anyone paying full price may be disappointed.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Families with young children|