See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 2, 2009

We visited Gurnard Pines back in August and although we had a lovely holiday visiting the Isle our activities were sorely restriced after our stay was marred by an incident at the Park. My daughter 6 year old daughter was climbing on the rock wall and although we accept responsibility whilst on this equipment one of the grips was not properly secured and she fell around 10ft to the ground resulting in a undisclosed frature her elbow. My husband reported the incident but at no time was we asked to sign an accident book (althougn they have told me it was put in - I have to believe them on this one). Yet two days later the equipment still hadnt been tightened up! We had to spend three separate appointments at the hospital whilst on holiday. At no time during our stay were we contacted by managment to enquire about our daughter - not even a note slipped under our lodge door. We had to rethink our whole holiday because of faulty equipment as she was not allowed to move her arm for fear of further damage. I wrote to the park afterwards and I felt i received a standard reply back. They informed me that they check the equipment (which they obviously hadnt otherwise my daughter wouldnt of hurt herself)and it was reported in the accident book (which I was not asked to sign - so I have to take their word for it.). We had only used the pool once and she couldnt even use that as it would strain her arm They even had the audacity to suggest we might stay with them again. We had to have follow up appointments on our return and she wasnt allowed to do any of her dancing again for fear of knocking or straining her arm. It is now December and my daughter is still suffering the after effects of the fall due to what I think is lack of care on the parks half - but they obviously wouldnt admit it being their fault in case I sue!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
GurnardPinesManager, Manager at Gurnard Pines, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2009

I was sorry to read that you and your daughter experienced problems whilst on holiday with us and of course we would wish her a speedy recovery. Having spoken with the Health & Safety Manager about this incident, he has confirmed to me that the accident was entered into the accident book at the time and that it is not usual practice to signed by the person making the report to us.

We consider the safety and comfort of our guests to be our number one priority. We undertake regular and systematic checks of all of our equipment throughout the entire park (facilities, accommodation, infrastructure etc) to ensure it is safe and suitable for use. The frequency of this varies according to the equipment in question from hourly to annually, and in the case of the indoor and outdoor play areas is daily prior to opening.

Unfortunately from time to time and in this incident we experience an equipment failure. From speaking to the Health & Safety Manager, immediate steps were taken to rectify this problem in conjunction with the manufacturer, the faulty part has now been replaced, and we have increased the frequency of our checks to ensure that any further risk is reduced.

I do not believe that this is the forum to discuss individual cases of this nature, and would urge you to please contact us directly through the usual channels as shown on our website if you with to discuss this further with our Health & Safety Manager.

Reviewed November 11, 2009

We had a lovely weekend at Gurnard Pines, we booked a cheap sun break and were delighted to get our first choice and decided to pay to upgrade to a 3 bed lodge no 419. It was lovely, very clean and spacious and the made up beds and central heating were appreciated as the weather was cold and wet! The kids loved the indoor play area and usually had it to themselves and the indoor pool (although we found it a bit cold) and the changing rooms were fabulous - plasma tv's and a playpen for babies - perfect. The food in the bar was very good and very reasonable but my hubby missed not having any sports coverage on the tv. The staff were very friendly and we had no problems at all. It did feel more like we were staying at a hotel than a holiday park but it suited us just fine.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your review; I was glad to read that you had a great time. We do have plans to install a TV in the cafe bar this winter prior to the new season as well as a large screen TV for the World Cup. We do try to create the atmosphere of staying at a self-catering resort, which gives the quality and service of a hotel but with the freedom and space of spacious self-catering holiday homes. This means that our guests can have the privacy of their own accommodation with plenty of green space between holiday homes, unlike many caravan holiday parks, but still have a wide range of facilities available at The Leisure Club. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2009

We have just returned from Gurnard Pines having spent 4 nights during half term. My husband had holidayed here as a child and thats the main reason we decided to stay there. When my husband had been previously there was plenty of entertainment for children but there was nothing for our children to do in the evening. As a family with 3 young children (aged 4, 2 and 7 months) we were expecting evening entertainment where we could bring the children along as the resort was advertised as a family resort. However, there was nothing but a cafe / bar that closed at 9pm! We felt that the target market was those who wanted to use the gym. Also there were lots of people who lived on the site and we felt that we (holiday-makers) were an inconvenience. The accommodation was nice and spacious but on the whole we were very disappointed and wont be returning to Gurnard Pines again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
GurnardPinesManager, Manager at Gurnard Pines, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

Gurnard Pines aims to be totally transparent when advertising the product and services we offer, whether in our brochure, on our website or when booking over the telephone. We do not advertise the resort as a family entertainment holiday park but rather as a family leisure resort. Over the past three years we have been working hard to change, rebrand and relaunch the Gurnard Pines holiday product carrying this over in all of our marketing communications.

We do offer a number of facilities for young children including a large new indoor soft play area, fully supervised creche childcare facility and an indoor heated pool open as late as 9pm. Not having regimented activity programmes also means that parents can fit activities around their children's sleep and eating patterns.

Our facilities close at 9pm principally as a result of customer demand. Should there be guest demand for our facilities to be open later, and it be commercially viable, then this would make sense to do so. However,
trade tends to slow down massively after 8pm as most of our guests families who wish to spend time together in their holiday home, relax on their veranda or eat out trying some of the high quality restaurants on the island. In fact, that Gurnard Pines provides a quiet environment in the evening has been popular with families who wish to have a good night's sleep without being woken up by fellow guests, sometimes intoxicated, returning to their accommodate late at night.

The previous entertainment product at Gurnard Pines was very costly to operate, meaning that investment in maintenance and development on the resort was limited, and could not provide a quality comparable to that
of the main operators. Our research shows that many customers did not have their expectations met with this. Indeed, most shows would start after 8.30pm when many young children would be in bed. We do try to
communicate as openly and pro-actively what facilities and activities we offer at Gurnard Pines.

We do have a number of holiday homes which are privately owned. This is entirely common for holiday parks and we would certainly not be able to offer a high standard of accommodation and facilities if relying solely on revenue from the summer holiday rental season. Our aim through our active leisure product is to increase the length of our main season by offering an all year round product. We did not entirely understand your
comments about feeling to be an inconvenience as most of the services provided on the resort are geared toward holiday guests.

At Gurnard Pines we want to ensure that all of our guests have a wonderful experience together - and according to our guest questionnaires, 98% of our guests would recommend us to their friends and family. However, we were of course sorry to read that you were disappointed and if you do have any comments to make on how we can improve our facilities to target families with young children we would love to hear from you.

Reviewed October 25, 2009

Stayed here Oct 19th to 23rd with my mother and daughter. We thought the lodge (420) was great and had no complaints at all. Very spacious, clean, well equipped and comfortable. I was concerned before we went due to reading some bad reviews on here and I contacted Hoseasons who we made our booking through. they made some enquiies on my behalf and reassured me about the accommodation before we went. I would definitely recommend Gurnard Pines

• Stayed: October 2009
GurnardPinesManager, Manager at Gurnard Pines, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2009

Thank you for choosing Gurnard Pines for your holiday and for posting a review. I was delighted to read that your holiday exceeded your expectations. We hope to welcome you again to Gurnard Pines!

Reviewed October 9, 2009

My wife, adult daughter and myself stayed in a 3 bedroomed Pine Lodge (No 420) between 26th September and 3rd October 2009.

The resort, accommodation and facilities were all first class.

We chose Gurnard Pines for its proximity to West Cowes where we have family, and which is only 20 minutes walk away.

The frequent No1 bus service to Cowes and Newport is about 1 mile from the site and an excellent Londis Mini Market is about a fifteen minutes walk away.

Our only complaint was that on arrival the Lounge carpet and furniture had not been cleaned and there was a lot of sand and some food crumbs that needed cleaning up.

We notified reception who immediately arranged for someone to come over with a vacuum cleaner and rectify the problem - excellent and efficient response to our complaint. Everything else was clean and tidy and we found the accommodation extremely spacious, comfortable and warm.

The site is well looked after and during our stay was very peaceful. The swimming pool is one of the best I have encountered on a holiday site, and on the many times I used it there were always two attentive lifeguards on duty.

In my opinion, bearing in mind that the lodge we stayed in is a few years old and showing a few signs of wear and tear, this accommodation and resort represents extremely good value for money and we shall certainly be returning a number of times during the next year.

The only enhancements that we would have liked would have been the provision of a vacuum cleaner in the property, and a second key - which might have been available if we had asked at reception.

One consideration for management would be the provision of some sort of charged for transport (mini bus etc) to Cowes and back. A number of our friends in the North East of England would like to stay at Gurnard Pines but do not fancy the long drive. A pick up service between the Red Jet terminal and Gurnard Pines would be most welcome and could possibly be used to raise revenue by transporting guests to Cowes and or back a few times a day at a nominal cost.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
GurnardPinesManager, Manager at Gurnard Pines, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2009

I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on it. I'm glad that overall you were impressed with Gurnard Pines and we look forward to seeing you again next year,

I was sorry however to read that your accommodation was not fully prepared to our usual standard when you checked in; it shouldn't be necessary to have to return to reception for any issues. I have spoken to the Guest Services Manager and Cleaning Manager, both of whom explained it was an isolated incident and that additional training has been carried out with the cleaners and checker concerned.

The lodges themselves will be undergoing a refit of soft furnishings this winter with new carpets, sofas, curtains/blinds and repaint throughout, which is designed to retain their character which is much loved but keep them fresh looking.

We do provide vacuum cleaners in all of our bungalows but it is true we do not have them in our lodges; it is certainly something for us to look into providing. A second key is available at reception on request for a £10 refundable deposit.

Unfortunately, the legislation and insurance costs around providing a mini-bus are prohibitive unless we can get considerable fare raising potential from it, although we do have a number of alternatives. Our Reservations and Guest Services teams are always happy to arrange taxis for pick ups from the Red Jet and we have a number of reliable operators we use for this. We will also be providing a "fly-drive" option next year which enables customers to travel to Southampton, usually by public transport or flights to the airport and using the free link bus to the Red Jet. We will be able to pre-book Red Jet tickets and then on arrival at Cowes hired transport will be available, either in the form of a hire car or bikes; all customers will also get the option of hire bikes waiting at the accommodation on arrival.