See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having read other reviews I didn't know if I had done the right thing booking here. However what amazing value, 3 double bedrooms, open plan living area, 2 bathrooms and central heating. Haggle over the price and you will be amazed at the value. Large balcony, dining area for 6, kitchen with all electrical appliances and living area with free view.
We wanted a retreat for few days and this was perfect even had heating on 24 hours a day.
The only complaint was the cleaning, but my wife usually cleans all crockery and cutlery anyway so not a major problem. The cobwebs suggest we were the first guests of year but hey,,,, we were out in the woods. Location is great and close enough to cowes and other attractions if wanted.
We only used reception once when saucepan handle broke but staff very helpfull.
Would definitely stay in a rustic lodge again summer or winter.
If using Hoseasons make sure you remove ALL the extras they add on without telling you and then you have a real bargain.
IOW is beautifull and well worth a visit, check out the prices of Gurnard when thinking of visiting the island, ring em up, make em an offer and off you go.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank BRSA
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We went here for february half term with my son and his two friends. Two boys aged 8 and a 5 year old.

We booked a lodge and it was ok but very, very tired and in need of redecorating. The bathrooms were mouldy round the baths and the beds..well I had to sleep on the floor the mattress was so bad. The hot water didn't work, lukewarm at best, and the heating controls were broken. We all had to bath/shower over at the pool.

Facilities:

Play area: It was advertised as having a childrens play area. This was closed and we were told that this was as it was due to be relocated. There was NO mention of this on the website or on booking. When we raised this at reception a very rude woman just barked at us 'it's closed for health and safety reasons' and turned her back on us. When we mentioned that there was no mention of this on their website another lady told us it was a new website. That clearly is an excuse??

Pool: Absolutely freezing. The boys went on the first day and then they refused to go again as it was so cold. Literally blue lips and shivering after 5 mins. We mentioned this at reception, again, and we were told that they had had several complaints but it was set at the recommended temp. We pointed out that the area provided for them to write the water temp down in the pool area was blank. She seemed surprised at this. Really??

Cafe: Very expensive and very poor selection. Not only this but the opening times seem very hit and miss. On our last day we went over and reception told us it would be open at ten but a sign on the door said opening at 11am?? The only way of getting a hot drink as we had checked out was a decrepit old coffee dispenser that didn't take pound coins and served half a cup.

Believe me I am not a fussy traveller. However I felt I had to write this review as you need to know what to expect. There are NO facilities, even those advertised. The 'customer service' was shocking. If the woman in question had worked for me she would have been sacked on the spot.

Don't give this place your hard earned money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kerry3280
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed for one night and booked for 3.we are going to check out tomorrow.could not have a drink in the bar after 7pm!private party and reception not helpful except Liz.never going to stay here again!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Jamieroch1
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked the £9,50 per person deal through the Sun newspaper only to be hugely disappointed at not only the ‘hidden costs’, the customer service as well as the state of the resort.

We booked the holiday online on the 07th January 2013, we then got an email on the 11th to say it had been reserved. We didn’t hear anything further until we called on the 1st Feb to see it was confirmed - On departure from Gunard Pines at 09:00, we received an email 15th Feb at 11:56 saying our holiday was confirmed.
On calling on the 1st Feb we learned of addidtional costs that were not mentioned on booking. We had already paid the £36-00 which was non-refundable. We then learnt of bed linen, leisure pass and a mandatory service charge- no explanation as to what this charge is for as there sure was no service at Gunard Pines. For a Service charge I would expect the unit to have been cleaned – or at least clean on arrival! The unit was revolting – opened a kitchen cupboard to find a loaf of bread that looked as if it had been there for weeks! All the crockery was filthy – cups stuck to the shelves and me having to boil a very black frying pan with hot soapy water to get the muck off. Then being told that I have to strip the beds and tidy when we depart – so what is this service charge for?

We also needed to have access to our emails but there was very little signal at the resort, after looking at the book in the unit we decided to go to the reception and ask to purchase the wifi but we were told that they only do wifi in the summer months.. this should really not be advertised then as a resort with these facilities.

Customers should be forewarned of the additional costs at time of booking – before paying the non refundable deposit. They should also be advised that there is nothing in the unit and to take absolutely everything from toilet rolls, oven gloves, washing up cloths, towels of which I then had to go out and buy.

There were also no activities going on - as apparently it's only done in the summer - false advertising! We had our two girls with us and had to go out every day.

Very disappointing

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Zoe M
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I've only just returned from my short stay @ Gurnard Pines. After reading some reviews (subsequent to having made my booking), I was of the opinion that maybe I had made a wrong choice of venue. I also felt slight apathy when I telephoned to upgrade my accommodation, this due to the fact that I had booked through 'The Sun'. I could not upgrade because of the 'Promotional Offer'!
However, we arrived there early, shortly after 3pm. Check in should have been 4pm but we managed to check in straight away. Contrary to some reviews our accommodation was immaculate and incredibly clean. We also found it tremendously spacious, an added bonus as this made the place feel homely.
The staff were friendly and courteous, and when I reported a problem some repairs that needed to be done, these were very promptly dealt with. Another surprise of course bearing in mind some previous negative reviews which I had read!
I made use of the gym and found it to be well equipped and user friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed using the swimming pool, which was never crowded, and felt clean!!
We had chosen this place because we wanted a 'quiet short break', and it turned out to be just that, and just perfect for us. We've had a terrific time at Gurnard Pines and we'll most certainly be returning in the summer.
Our main regret this time is not making our booking longer, this place was certainly 'home away from home'.

• Stayed: February 2013