“Shocking!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Gurnard Pines

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cowes
Gurnard Pines
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Shocking!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked the £9,50 per person deal through the Sun newspaper only to be hugely disappointed at not only the ‘hidden costs’, the customer service as well as the state of the resort.

We booked the holiday online on the 07th January 2013, we then got an email on the 11th to say it had been reserved. We didn’t hear anything further until we called on the 1st Feb to see it was confirmed - On departure from Gunard Pines at 09:00, we received an email 15th Feb at 11:56 saying our holiday was confirmed.
On calling on the 1st Feb we learned of addidtional costs that were not mentioned on booking. We had already paid the £36-00 which was non-refundable. We then learnt of bed linen, leisure pass and a mandatory service charge- no explanation as to what this charge is for as there sure was no service at Gunard Pines. For a Service charge I would expect the unit to have been cleaned – or at least clean on arrival! The unit was revolting – opened a kitchen cupboard to find a loaf of bread that looked as if it had been there for weeks! All the crockery was filthy – cups stuck to the shelves and me having to boil a very black frying pan with hot soapy water to get the muck off. Then being told that I have to strip the beds and tidy when we depart – so what is this service charge for?

We also needed to have access to our emails but there was very little signal at the resort, after looking at the book in the unit we decided to go to the reception and ask to purchase the wifi but we were told that they only do wifi in the summer months.. this should really not be advertised then as a resort with these facilities.

Customers should be forewarned of the additional costs at time of booking – before paying the non refundable deposit. They should also be advised that there is nothing in the unit and to take absolutely everything from toilet rolls, oven gloves, washing up cloths, towels of which I then had to go out and buy.

There were also no activities going on - as apparently it's only done in the summer - false advertising! We had our two girls with us and had to go out every day.

Very disappointing

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Zoe M

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I've only just returned from my short stay @ Gurnard Pines. After reading some reviews (subsequent to having made my booking), I was of the opinion that maybe I had made a wrong choice of venue. I also felt slight apathy when I telephoned to upgrade my accommodation, this due to the fact that I had booked through 'The Sun'. I could not upgrade because of the 'Promotional Offer'!
However, we arrived there early, shortly after 3pm. Check in should have been 4pm but we managed to check in straight away. Contrary to some reviews our accommodation was immaculate and incredibly clean. We also found it tremendously spacious, an added bonus as this made the place feel homely.
The staff were friendly and courteous, and when I reported a problem some repairs that needed to be done, these were very promptly dealt with. Another surprise of course bearing in mind some previous negative reviews which I had read!
I made use of the gym and found it to be well equipped and user friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed using the swimming pool, which was never crowded, and felt clean!!
We had chosen this place because we wanted a 'quiet short break', and it turned out to be just that, and just perfect for us. We've had a terrific time at Gurnard Pines and we'll most certainly be returning in the summer.
Our main regret this time is not making our booking longer, this place was certainly 'home away from home'.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank beefy39
Dursley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family of 4 booked to stay for 4 nights through the Sun promotion, which seemed like a bargain at the time at £38, then £38 for the ferry (which was very good) and expected, but then we were stung by the 'Resort' costs of £105, broken down this was, £10 per head service charge, ok, £25 for bedding, ok...but £40 for Leisure passes??!! What a con! there was nothing for the kids to do, just a small ice cold pool and a tiny jungle gym from ages 1-10.

Overall the rustic lodge was good, warm and roomy, with all equipment expected for self catering. But we had to make the double bed with a heavily stained duvet and tatty pillows (I wish we had brought our own bedding) we paid £25 for this luxury!?! We had to find a shop in the middle of nowhere to buy toilet rolls as there is no onsite shop. The bathroom was grimy with mildew spots and orange grime around the bath and the shower curtain.
I would not recommend this 'Leisure Resort'....it was basically a small leisure centre that happened to have Rustic lodges and council house chalets in the grounds.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank IOWfamilyof4

Travelers are raving about these Cowes hotels

England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked for a group of us to go for a dinner and dance at Christmas. A few days before we were about to go they cancelled our evening. We have been promised a refund (cheque in the post) and a promise of collecting the cash if we went out their. So last Friday we went out there to be told nobody had left any cash for us in the safe.
My wife phoned again to be told someone will phone back. How long does it take to process a refund, they were quick enough to take our money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sumara
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked this as a Birthday treat as we had never visited the Island and as it transpired it really was the only place open.
First impressions are that it was not clean. Heavy brown staining in the toilet bowls. Ugly black marks on the main bedroom carpet and when we tried to use the oven to bake a Birthday cake it almost caught fire because of the centimetre of grease inside. One of the bedrooms hadn't even been 'hoovered' as there was a medicine cup on the floor.
Be warned, you have to bring everything with you. Not just toilet paper, cleaning materials, but light bulbs are a good idea (we had 3 out) and if you use more than one towel normaly, ie, a hand towel in the bathrooms, bring those as well.
As for the hot tub. The temperature is preset and cannot be altered, but worse, although we were there for a week, no one checked on the water quality at any time.

Room Tip: Although this is a Hoseasons resort it is not up to their normal high standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Boacflyers
burnham bucks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

we came here in jan for fri/mon we had a rustic lodge for 99.99, wow they are huge and very nice, one downfall you open the door and walk straight into kitchen area wich is very small, rest of the park is very peacefull and the lodges are set in mostly woodland ,but theres nothing on the park its self , theres a swimming pool wich is very basic, soft play area for little ones (although my 12 yr old enjoyed it aswell) please note there is NO shop at all here , to be honest had no probs finding the place used sat nav ,use the chain ferry will save you time ,2.00 per car runs till 12.30 at night good cos we didnt get over till 9.30, would go again for a rest

Room Tip: although the villas have a hot tub i would choose the rustic lodges for size
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alice1970
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was booked as one of Daily Mirrors holiday promotions, as frequent visitors to the Isle of Wight we had often been recommended here. As it was in November it was dark when we arrived on the island, even using a sat nav it was probably the worst signposted holiday we have ever had to find.Once found, after a frought 40 mins in/out and around Cowes we finally found it, but once there it was evident why it had recently changed hands. Again signage was nowhere to be seen, we went around and around, even though we had been given a map to the lodge !!, in the dark with no illumnated signs telling you where you were, it was totally ridiculous. When daybreak came I could see we were in, as another visitor on here described as a council estate of bungalows, describes on our booking form as a lodge!!! The actual bungalow was OK, nice size fairly clean, in need of some TLC, but the new owners may do this.
The bed was horrible, my husband got very little sleep due to the thinness of the mattress, on the plus side, the rooms were of a good size and for the 3 nights we stayed adequate. If I had paid a lot of money, which in the 6 weeks holiday you do, I would not have been pleased. As we go to Isle of Wight a lot we knew where we wanted to go and I can thoroughly recommend Dans Kitchen in St Helens (you will have to book) superb food at a great price. Main bugbear with this break was the total lack of signage both in and out of the park, also lighting in the park was none existant in some places, maybe switched off to save money ??

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shazzbat1958
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
#6 of 54 in Shanklin
Woodside Coastal Retreat
Woodside Coastal Retreat
#1 of 1 in Wootton Bridge

Been to Gurnard Pines? Share your experiences!