“Recommended”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Cowes
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Small hotel with only 10 rooms. Some rooms have recently been done up, although we stayed in one of the older style rooms.

Modern annex for dining/bar area. Long corridor to reach it. Large grounds and a nice outdoor area outside the bar. Feels quiet and relaxing - definitely recommended.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pysmon

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dorset
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My Husband and I first stayed at The Albert Cottage Hotel in September 2007 for our honeymoon. We did not book but the tourist board put us in touch. We were very pleasantly surprised. Very good first impressions and it just got better when we saw our room. Everything was spotlessly clean and fresh. We had our meals in the restaurant, every bite was heaven. Breakfast was equally amazing. The grounds are lovely to relax in and just a short walk into Cowes. We returned for our anniversary in September 2008 for more of the same and will definately be returning in the future. My only complaint was the food a little expensive. But with the town so close there was no need to eat at the hotel every night.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank headgirl1
Portsmouth, Hants
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I have stayed in the Hotel 3 times, but didnt realise I hadn't reviewed it.The Albert Cottage is a delightful period Hotel with very comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful staff.This time we had an evening meal at the Hotel which was of a very high standard, served by young people in training for the Hotel trade and very well too.Breakfast is also of a very high standard.This Hotel is not very suitable for wheelchair users as access to the bathroom was through quite a narrow door, in our room.The age of the building prompts me to expect that all rooms are the same.All rooms are on the Ground Floor so are easily accessed.If the bathroom issue could be sorted out I would recommend this Hotel for everyone.There is a distance from the rooms to the Public Area , but this is accessed via a lovely covered walkway. However I use crutches when visiting and find the Hotel fine.
We will be visiting again.

• Liked — Great Rooms and Breakfast, friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — Bathroom inacessable for wheelchair (my fat bum anyway!)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank MarkOPortsmouth
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2007

The Albert Hotel is something of a work in progress. The current owners have in the last year done a great deal to make it a very good quality establishment. The premises are grade 2 listed so there are major restrictions on what can be done with the premises, but despite this the owners have built a modern bar and high quality restaurant in keeping with the old hotel premises. With pleasant gardens as well it is easy to see why they are also marketing it as a wedding venue.

I also liked the fact that this was a relatively small hotel. I think it has about 14 rooms. So it didn't feel like you were staying in some huge corporate standardised hotel. That said, it has the professional feel of a hotel about it. Don't mistake its size for it seeming like a B&B, it doesn't.

The Albert Cottage was the home of Princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria, and very conveniently backs on to Queen Victoria's residence Osbourne House (a must see tourist attraction for any holiday makers to the island). So staying at this hotel gives you a real feeling of history. Guest bedrooms are somewhat dated, with chintzy decor and garish '70s carpets, but I gather these will be refurbished during the next year or so, in keeping with the history of the house but to modern tastes and standards. The bathroom in my room seemed much more modern than the bedroom.
The standard of renovation of the restaurant and bar gives the managements plans for refurbishing the rooms a great deal of credibility.

All parts of the hotel were very clean. I had breakfast lunch and dinner there and found the food to be first rate. Staff are friendly, polite and efficient.

I was charged £99 per night single person occupancy full board. I'd be happy to stay there and pay this price again when the rooms have been refurbished, but I'd be looking to pay less in a currently unrenovated room. I would also advocate reserving a room at the rear of the hotel. Rooms at the front are subject to traffic noise, particularly lorries travelling early morning to and from the nearby ferry terminal.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — Bedrooms need updating.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Fomzine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
North House
Villa Rothsay Hotel
Villa Rothsay Hotel
#4 of 5 in Cowes
Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa

Been to Albert Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!