“Victorian comfort... and I mean that as a compliment”

Albert Cottage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Cowes
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stately, old-fashioned, comfortable establishment right by the side gate to Osborne House and 200 yards from the main entrance. Originally built as part of the royal estate (though should really be called the "Albert Substantial Villa Hotel"). Very quiet the night I stayed, but they do weddings and other functions. Large dining room at the end of a long (and rather bizarre) corridor with excellent food. Charming staff. They even posted me the book I inadvertently left behind in my room. If you're visiting Osborne and the Isle of Wight's other attractions I suspect you could hardly do better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel is the former residence of Princess Beatrice , who was Queen Victoria's daughter and is located adjacent to Osbourne House which is where queen Victoria died in 1901.
We stayed in the master suite which was spacious , tastefully furnished and very comfortable and I was amazed that it was available when everywhere else in Cowes was fully booked and also that it was only £139/night.
We enjoyed our dinner in the restaurant which is also set in spacious grounds with the option of dining outdoors on a fine summer's evening and although the menu and wine list wasn't extensive , it was suitable for our needs and had sufficient choice to cater for most people.
The hotel is set in two acres of lawns and gardens and is obviously perfect for those wishing to visit Osbourne House , whilst its location in east Cowes is not right in the heart of things it's only a short journey across the inexpensive chain ferry to get there.
We were so impressed that we decided to stay an extra night and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cyclisto
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife, two children and I stayed at Albert Cottage last weekend for two nights. The hotel was the venue for my sister's wedding, so made absolute sense to stay there. We booked room 10, which has a separate twin room and a huge shared bathroom and separate loo. It would have been nice if an additional loo had been fitted in the bathroom, but hey ho! The room also had a covered courtyard area with table/chairs, which was used for breakfast one morning (the kids loved it!).
The room/hotel was lovely/clean/historic and a good mix of modern and period features. The staff were brilliant...very friendly and professional. The wedding was brilliant and Albert Cottage a fantastic venue!!! I'd recommend this hotel and hope to return one day...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank snikiel
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is not a boutique hotel as some of the photos may suggest and if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed. This is a spotlessly clean, old fashioned, highly functional seaside hotel providing excellent food and service.

We stayed in room 10 which is a suite of rooms perfect for families. We had a large double with an adjoining twin and a large bathroom with separate loo. There was also a private patio area that was entirely covered with a table and chairs which was accessed from the corridor linking the bedrooms with the bathroom and loo.

We enjoyed excellent food and service in the restaurant and they are very child friendly - we had our little one asleep in the pushchair with us whilst we enjoyed supper. The wine list is good and very reasonably priced.

We would highly recommend this if you are looking for a clean, functional, family friendly hotel serving superb food.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CHMTS
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Myself and several colleagues were working at Osborne house over the Diamond jubilee weekend and decided to have a nice meal at the Albert Cottage. We followed a large coach party but that is no excuse for the experience we had.

We were left waiting 20 minutes or so until we were even given a menu, and once we had ordered food was very slow coming out of the kitchen. My starter was lovely - salmon gravalax, however the parma ham bruschetta was brought out without any parma ham and other starters were far from satisfactory.

I asked for our main course to be brought out early as we had to leave, I saw it being carried around various room several times before it was brought to us. I had belly pork which was heavily seasoned with cheap white ground pepper which killed any taste and the cut of meat is best described as sinewy and like offal. My husband had the vegetarian option which was basically some vegetables in a sauce. I asked for vegetables to go with my pork and was told that my food came on a bed of spinach and that was that.

Other meals arrived which looked equally bad and I know that many were sent back. I was so dismayed I just paid and left.

Shocking food, dreadful service and a disappointing experience in what should be a special piece of history. Never again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kate V
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The building is awesome, the room was really clean and really nicely decorated. The staff were all incredibly friendly and polite, and the breakfast was awesome. At that price, we would definitely stay here again when we return to the Isle of Wight!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OeufdelaMaison
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel had a lovely old fashioned feel about it. Our bedroom (room No 3) was fine but my jaw dropped when I entered the bathroom. Apart from it being a huge room, it had a very big separate walk in shower. There were two basins with 2 huge mirrors above them but what really impressed was the free standing bath in the middle of the room. Instead of a window there was a glass panelled door which opened onto a small balcony with table and chairs. Unfortunately the weather didn't allow us to sit outside wearing the bathrobes provided. We ate in the restaurant and although the menu was quite limited the food was outstanding and the young waiters and waitress were all very pleasant and kept coming over to make sure everything was ok for us. We chose this hotel as it only a 2 minute drive from Osborne House, the reason for our visit and we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
North House
Luccombe Manor Country House Hotel
Hotel Ryde Castle
Hotel Ryde Castle
#3 of 6 in Ryde

Been to Albert Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!