“Shame about the caravan” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cowes
Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Norwich
“Shame about the caravan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were very disapointed with our Gold Plus caravan - we had paid the extra hoping for a little luxury as we weren't taking any children with us. The caravan looked tired there were stains on the seats and quite a few curtains were hanging off the rails, it smelt as if it had been closed up for quite a time when we opened the door. The cleanliness of the bathroom and toilet looked liked they hadn't been cleaned for weeks.
In the kitchen there was ample untensils for us but if you had 4 or more you would have been struggling with glasses, & mugs without cracks. The only way of keeping the caravan tidy was a dustpan and brush.

It would have been nice for a small welcome pack as in a lot of caravans we have been to - maybe a small sachet of coffee, tea, sugar and milk. Just in case your journey was a long one

The biggest thing this capsite has going for it is the staff, The receptionist was very helpful and sorted out any problems we had. We had to get the maintence chap out to our caravan 2 - 3 times for things not working and everytime they were there within the hour or they fixed things while we were out.

Can't comment on the facilities as we didnt really use them but the swimming pool is very misleading in the brochure and the views of the bay can only be seen when your having a drink on the porch of the bar or if your lucky enough to be given one of about 12 caravans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gillywill
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I apologise if the cleanliness was not to our usual standard and as with the maintenance issues. Our team would have been directed straight away to rectify these had we been informed.

Unfortunately welcome packs are not part of the brochure package although it is something to look at in the future.

It is great to receive such glowing tributes to our team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

01983 523 109

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

we booked a break at this site with sun holidays which we do most years and we had the bronze van again the same level we always book it is now our 4th stay at a park resort and I can honestly say we will never use them again the site and staff were great the van we stayed in was not fit for the job not enough seating for the 6 of us not enough cups no wear near enough utensils in the kitchen holes in the wall fag burns in the settee a chunk missing out of the wardrobe mould on the curtains really bad damp and mould in the van to the degree that the beds and furniture were damp a fire that we had to light with a lighter every morning to warm up the van because it was warmer outside then inside when we told them of the issues the reply was that is the level of van we paid for I went and asked to speak to the site manager twice and was told he was not at work on both days even after being told to come and see him on the second occasion we had a couple with kids in the van next door who had ants in their van and they was told what do you expect your in the woods they got moved but we saw house keeping setting the van up for new guest as we left to come home so what was a great family holiday on a truly great place was some what made bad by a very unpleasant van.

Room Tip: don't book a bronze van
2 Thank mick w
Hello Mick,

I apologise for the standard of the van that you were given and can understand your frustrations. Our teams on site should have dealt with this in a different manner. I am aware that I was away although the teams are usually very accommodating with any issue such as this as it is not acceptable.

Ants are unfortunately common, due to the wooded areas, however once treated the van can be reused within a matter of hours. Please could you email the park direct to resolve this, Pauline.sowerby@park-resorts.com.

I am glad that you enjoyed all the other aspects of the park and I am sure we shall be able to come to an amicable agreement. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Redruth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night break by way of a national newspaper offer.On arrival, we found the reception staff polite and helpful. We had upgraded to a silver chalet which from the outside looked to be in need of a repaint. The inside was better than expected, very clean with the exception of the outside windows and where some senseless previous occupant had smashed a hole in outside skin of a bedroom door. The chalet was well furnished with a good kitchen facility. The evening entertainment was reasonable but the entertainment staff singing was not of a good standard. But the staff there were very polite and friendly. The bar prices were reasonable and the Bass beer was excellent. A problem with the gas supply was attended to by the maintenance staff in minutes.Take a torch if you intend to visit either the restaurant or entertainment centre in the dark, the site lighting is not the best.All in all, we have very llittle to complain about and would not hesitate to recommend this site to others.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I fully appreciate your honest review and thank you for your compliments with regard to most aspects of your stay with us.

It is always pleasing to hear how friendly the team has been and we are looking into the possibility of extra street lighting without it effecting anyone’s sleep.

I look forward to seeing you on the park again in the future.

Lincolnshire uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Never again, the fantastic park hours of fun for the kids, can someone direct me to it. The staff speed round the site in the vans, no thought for adults or children, if a child's ball came out and the child followed the child would have no hope. Some of the owners/holidaymakers are the same. Bluebell 100 a chalet looks like somebody has emptied the biffa bin into it. I am currently in a gold plus caravan, it's very very basic, sleeps 6 but only 4 teaspoons, 4 dessert spoons, 5 forks and 5 knives. I certainly wouldn't bring my tourer here as they have tourers on blocks and bricks as the ground is so uneven. My advice spend an extra few quid and book a cottage!

8 Thank Anna A
Hi Anna,

I do believe I met your husband during your stay and discussed the issue in which it was resolved.

We do have 12 chalets that are closed down and being replaced with lodges at the end of the season and we have tried to keep them looking as tidy from the outside as we can.

In regard to missing inventory this should not be the case and if it had been reported, would have been rectified. Our touring area is on a slight slope and tourers will use blocks to adapt for this. I am sorry your stay with us was not as expected.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I and her daughter, son in law and grandson stayed in a silver rated caravan for four nights from the 30th September to the 4th October. We found the caravan very clean, but the double bed mattress was very lumpy, however this was changed very quickly when I asked for an exchange mattress and a removal of a single bed from the second bedroom so that we could fit a cot in for our grandson. In the third bedroom the two single beds were only two foot six wide and we're very uncomfortable for my wife's daughter and husband. The location of the caravan to the facilities was very good. We had an evening meal and a breakfast which was okay but we decided no to eat on site. The swimming pool was clean and the changing facilities were adequate. On one of the evenings we went to the adult Cabaret and was pleasantly surprised with the Buble tribute singer, very good. Would we go back, maybe not but the island was very nice with lots of places to visit.

Room Tip: get the best you can afford, check what beds you are getting
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello, thank you for your positive feedback with regard to your stay with us.

I am pleased that the cleanliness was good and that we were able to swiftly help with the mattress switch. The single beds are a standard caravan size due to spacing so apologies for this.

I am glad you found the complex facilities good. I would like to advise that the Michael Buble tribute is in fact Matt, one of our teamstars who has an excellent voice and has really appreciated your feedback.

It would be good to see you again if you did decide to return to the Island.

Elstree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed our holiday very much. However, there were a couple of little grumbles about the van we were staying in. Although clean and the bed was made, only a bottom sheet and duvet the state of the van needed some tlc. Every time we open the door there was a faint smell of damp/musty and in fact our towels never dried out properly. We did open the windows to air on a regular bases weather permitting There were surfaces where the sides that had come of, and doors which had melted with the heat of the fire. The carpet was worn and not very clean. In fact the van needed to be either replaced or a complete re-furnishing. We did not get any hot water the first morning so had to call reception, maintance was fairly quick to come and sort it out, However the system seemed to run on a battery and when it got low it failed to work, thus cold water. Perhaps this needs to be looked at.

There was no instructions for the shower, gas heater, where to put rubbish or what to do in the event of a fire.

It would have been very helpful as a basic if a pack of details like times of the opening of the bar/restaurant and the shop, also it would have been useful if some alternatives of where to eat were available in the van as the choice of food although good was not wide and after a couple of days you wanted a change. The staff were friendly and helpful in the main. The beach was a fair step from the site, and was not really sandy, but quite pleasant to stroll down to.

We were placed almost at the top of the site which was a long way from reception, shop and bar, as we had someone over 70 with us, there was no way we could walk that distance coming back as it was up hill. However it was a lovely view. This site needed a car as the bus stop was some distance away with not many buses. ON the whole the site was neat and well presented and we enjoyed our stay in spite of the weather and the few small grumbles

Room Tip: Remember this site needs a car to get around the island as it is a long walk to the bus stops. Vans...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your review in regard to your recent stay with us.

My apologies for any cleanliness issue that was encountered, I wish you would have told us as we would have been able to send a member of housekeeping to rectify these for you.

We do issue a generic welcome pack on arrival and this does contain some of the information required to ensure the safety of our guests whilst staying with us. All of the facility opening times are displayed in the reception area and also at the facility entrances. We no longer give too much information in the arrival pack as the feedback was that this was not read.

We have a supply of tourist information and eating guides on display in the reception area. The top area of the park is a distance although this also makes it unique with the peace and tranquillity when required.

Thank you for your extremely kind comments with regard to the team friendliness and the park presentation.

I hope that you will be visiting us again.

Thorness Bay - 01983 523 109
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this site in a two room silver chalet blue bell 116 from the 14 to the 21 sept , we went to our allotted chalet on . The first thing we noticed on entering was the state of the alleged Newley made up beds , on pulling back the quilt on the single bed we found the contents of some ones nose left on the sheet , not terribly pleasing on inspection of the other single bed we found dried blood stains on the pillow , when we checked the sheets on the double bed we found two large brown marks which certainly looked exactly what it was . We went back to reception having taken photos to prove the point and requested we either be moved or for a full refund both of which whet denied , instead they called housekeeping who met us back at the chalet . The gentleman who we believed to be a member of management although from his appearance he could have been anyone blamed the young lad he had brought with him and said this is the person who cleaned your chalet he's the one at fault , this I found to be totally unprofessional , the blame for inadequate cleaning comes from the top down if the management don't train and supervise correctly standards will slip , The sheets where changed and a half hearted apology was made . This however delayed us in our plans and we had to change them due to this delay . The next morning we found we could not get out of our chalet we called reception who I must say did act quickly and got a chap to us within 20 mins he had to force open the door with my help , he then removed the lock took it apart and confirmed that the lock was actually broken inside he said he would get a new one but may be a while we wanted to get out so he called housekeeping who sent some one to guard out chalet This lady found the situation funny , we managed to survive in the small uncomfortable bed until the Friday when we left early and went to the stag inn in Newport which I would recommend over the dump that was supposed to be a silver chalet , on leaving I asked to see a manager to make my complaint and was spoken to by the same receptionist from the previous Saturday who took my details and my complaint on a scrap of paper , despite me asking to see a manager and for an official complaint form . I have read lots of reviews on this site regarding the park resorts thorness bay and see that the general managers reply is pretty standard had you brought this to our attention bull We'll let me tell you I did bring it to your staffs attention However I have had no e mail phone call or written apology I received no proper follow up during the week we stayed at your run down site , according to park resorts they have no record of any complaint being made by us so I have aired my complaint in public which I would not normally do however the way in which park resorts deals with its complaints seems to be wash them under the Carpet with all the other dirt and hope it goes away I have the photos regarding the sheets so if the general manager wishes to get of their backsides and have a look at the file for the occupant of 116 bluebell from the 14th of sept for 1 week you will find my contact details I will be more than happy to discuss this with you

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Andy D
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your review.

I would like to confirm that, although it appears there were some issues, we believed that they had been resolved on park in our usual, efficient manner. I apologise if this was not the case. I believe that this has now all been resolved directly with yourself.

I do hope that you visit us again so that we can make amends to yourself and your family.

01983 523 109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
BEST WESTERN New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Rookley Country Park
Rookley Country Park
#1 of 2 in Rookley

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!