“Excellent all round holiday”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cowes
Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
“Excellent all round holiday”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Fantastic holiday in a wonderful location. There was no time to get bored. With the organised kids entertainment right throughout the day and the evening. The park has its own beach and there was always something going on be it swimming or a nature hunt my kids were smiling all week. The entertainment team especially Georgie, Emily (you have to check out the the Emily factor!) Lindsey and Sam were fantastic and with all the children there still knew all the kids by name! All in all I have come home tired but very happy. Book, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jemsmum77
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review and positive comments about our Entertainments team. Our team members aim to create amazing memories for our holiday guests and even something as little as remembers a child’s name can give them a real buzz.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

01983 523 109

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks holiday for a big family get together on the Isle of Wight. We chose Thorness bay as a base as myself and my brother used to holiday there when we were little so have good memories of the park. Our caravan was lovely and clean had everything we needed, the beds were a bit uncomfortable but we didn't let it spoil our break. It was in a perfect location not too far from the complex and shop but far enough so we weren't disturbed by the noise, apart from one evening when a lady got a bit too excited right outside watching the meteor shower!!
The complex itself was great and the kids especially loved the arcade machines (although my purse didn't!) and they spent hours in the indoor pool, even when the boiler broke one day but at least there was a sign warning us that it might not be as warm as usual. the life guards were very pleasant and helpful. The man who works in the shop was always polite and cheery. Having a costa coffee on site was a great bonus. A big thanks to Susie and Tristan in the bar and restaurant, and to Teamstar Matt (Michael Buble!!) Fisher and to the bar staff in the show bar, they were all polite and friendly, great with the kids and couldn't do enough for us.
Shame I cannot say the same about a couple of staff members in the restaurant, I won't name and shame them but we feel being ignored at the bar because they would rather talk to their colleagues, sworn at on our last morning and generally being rude and ignorant is not really acceptable behaviour. The only other issue we found, apart from the bar running out of beer one night!!! was the amount of young non-residents that hang around outside the club on a night.
We ate a few times on site and the food in the restaurant was good, but, after asking twice, we are still waiting for our toast that is supposed to come with the breakfast??? Overall we had a great stay and have already booked again for next year. I have great childhood memories of Thorness bay and now my children have too!

Hi Emma

Thanks for your review – it’s great to know you came back to us after holidaying here as a child! It’s great to hear so many positive comments about our team members. They love hearing feedback from guests and it’s great to hear they were polite and helpful.

I’m sorry if the Boathouse team weren’t as polite as the rest of our team members and your comments have been fed back to them to ensure it won't happen again. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay overall with us and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This caravan is privately owned & NOT owned by park resorts.
We rented this caravan privately from the owner.
The outside of the caravan was dirty with leaking water pipes. The lounge was ok apart from the fact that the lounge seating is thin & uncomfortable to sit on for long periods. The smoke alarm & the co2 monitors dont work as neither had any batteries in them. The shower tray is cracked & damaged which has been patched with black pond liner. There is black mould around the shower tray & the bathroom blind.
The electric shaver connection in the main bedroom doesnt work either.
Part of the ceiling in the kitchen where the ceiling boards join is damp & coming away.

Www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/sprop_ref_4047b.html

• Stayed August 2013
Kent
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Returned yesterday from a week at Thorness Bay. To say I was worried after reading the reviews was an understatement. I went with my Daughter and 4 Grandchildren. We booked an 8 berth Bronze Caravan, but did try to upgrade before we went due to the comments on cleanliness. We found our caravan and with much trepidation unlocked the door and was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was. Beds were made up and bedding spotless. The staff in the site shop were extremely friendly and helpful and shop was well stocked. The drinks at the bar were reasonable, but the soft drinks for the children were expensive. The bar staff on the whole were friendly and happy. The children's playground was well equipped and gave my Grandchildren many hours of fun. We went swimming twice and the first time it was nice and warm in both pools, but on the Tuesday it was freezing, I think perhaps a message on the door saying heating was not working would have a been a good idea, as I saw a lady with a baby who went to get in the pool and decided it was too cold and therefore had to go back and get herself and the baby dressed. I agree that the bingo should be on earlier, as I found the children were just getting into the dancing and then it stopped for bingo and you had some very excitable children to try and keep quiet and amused until it had finished. I would like to have seen Sparky and Sparkle interact with the children more and maybe walk amongst them, it seemed to me that they avoided this, by staying on stage. Walked many times to the beech and yes it was nice for a stroll, but my grandchildren still found some sand and managed to try and make sandcastles and paddle. Only used the restaurant once for breakfast on the day of departure and found it very reasonable and enjoyable. On the whole had a fantastic holiday and would definately return to Thorness Bay.

1 Thank Sharonbigginhill
Thank you for your lovely review.

I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the accommodation was spotless and our team members were friendly and helpful.

We did experience an issue with our pool heating system but this was resolved within 24 hours, and a sign was put on the door to the pool shortly after explaining it may be slightly colder than usual as it was in the process of returning to normal temperature.

I’m pleased you were able to enjoy our facilities and have a tasty breakfast on your day of departure. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had two nights touring, just myself and my two children (6 and 9). The field was amazing, so pretty, completely smooth turf for a comfy pitch and we had it mostly to ourselves with gorgeous ponies to watch in the sunrise. We were lucky enough to witness a meteor shower and the darkness at night was great for star gazing. My only complaint about our pitch area was there was no water point. I don't mind a walk but as you will read, I didn't like to leave our spot. The wild beach was fabulous, you don't often get access to an untouched beach. So it should have been lovely but unfortunately our stay was completely ruined by the atmosphere of the campsite. It was awful. Domestic violence was everywhere, I saw a man being punched in the face in the middle of the day and unfortunately so did my kids. Screaming swear words into children's faces and physically threatening them and swearing at the top of your voice as often as possible in a sentence were the order of the day. Even the staff in the shop swore while serving my kids icecreams. I dreaded taking my children to the toilet block as kids the same age as mine were f'ing and blinding and throwing rocks and lumps of mud at each other, the windows and on the roof, no parents in sight. I felt intimidated and quite frightened at times during our stay, so I learnt to stay well away from the buildings and busier areas. I didn't even consider going near the entertainment block at night so I can't review that. The shower block was ok apart from the abuse it suffered from the residents and the annoying lock codes for every facility, why anyone would want to go in them unless they had to is beyond me. There was a toilet brush in the vanity sink the first morning and some old plasters at one point. The showers were warm but had very low pressure and a 5 second button press. They also had an inch of dirty water pooled at the end and nowhere to dress after in privacy or place your clothes and towels whilst in there. The washing up facilities were good but again locked up (operating a 6 digit code with an armful of plates, cups, teatowels etc) and abused by the residents. Removing old sponges, thick blockages of cold fried egg or fatty lumps of grissle before getting started wasn't enjoyable. The pool was hardly open, murky so you couldn't see your feet at all and freezing cold, colder than an outdoor pool cold, there must have been a problem. It was also time limited to 45 mins (if you can stand it for that long) and the flume was only open long enough to queue to go on once. All the bins were overflowing so wasps inundated us constantly. I don't know how this happened as most families flung there rubbish where they stood (including on that beautiful beach) while swearing at each other and dragging their knuckles along behind them. I felt I paid a premium to camp with facilities I couldn't use, I was constantly on edge and felt so protective over the little ears and eyes in my care, it was very stressful putting on a happy happy face to the kids. Did I mention the dolls for sale in the shop dressed as street walkers? I genuinely burst into tears of relief when I walked through my front door, I was so glad to be out of there.

Room Tip: If you really feel you must subject yourself to this place - camp in the field next to the ponies. F...
3 Thank Kate M
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you were able to enjoy all the beautiful sites our park has to offer – it is a stunning location! I would like to apologise that you experienced issues with another guest on park which was dealt with by the police.

The on-park shop is managed by an external partner and I am sorry if the staff were using inappropriate language and stocked items you felt weren’t suitable. I have since reminded them about their responsibilities whilst working on site and this will not happen again.

The toilets and showers have codes to ensure only those staying on our park are able to access the facilities which are cleaned at least 3 times per day. The swimming pool is open between 09:00 to 17:00 and has an industry leading filtration system to ensure the water is clean and kept at a consistent temperature.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your holiday with us overall but I hope we are able to welcome you back to a Park Resorts Holiday park again in the future.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a lovely holiday at Thorness Bay Isle Of Wight. But it was what the island had to offer along with the park that we fell in love with. We used our caravan as just a base and didn't take full advantage of the entertainment. Our first caravan was a disappointment especially as when booking I said it was my mums special birthday and we would like a newer upgraded caravan. The caravan smelt and wasn't cleaned to standards. However how the team dealt with our request to be moved was excellent and we were moved to a beautiful caravan. I always judge on how a problem is dealt with as there are always hiccups on a holiday. The singles bed are very narrow but then if you're trying to squeeze a family plus into one unit you have to give and take! For my daughters (7 and 9 years) the park was great, entertainment staff fab not all about walking cuddly toys and the pool although small and basic was enough for them. I would agree the street lighting was poor but I disagree about the staff being unhelpful. The views were beautiful and it was nice to stroll along the bay of an evening collecting shells. We had a problem with the television but again the staff couldn't do enough for us. There was reasonable choice of food but its your typical menu with lots of chips so we chose to eat off site the majority of time but that suited us as we went out every day exploring. The park is small and reasonably quiet with no trouble at all. Security is tight and I felt relaxed with my children popping to the shop by themselves or the play park. A bonus having a Costa on site! It wouldn't be fair for me to judge the evening entertainment as bingo isn't my thing but OMG does the bingo drag on and the actual entertainment is too late as a result. I've recommended this park to various friends so Thorness Bay please don't let them down!

Room Tip: Request the standard you expect and then again a week before you travel and then again when you chec...
Hi Samantha

Please accept my apologies that the first caravan we offered wasn’t cleaned to our high standards, but I am pleased that our reception team were able to find you alternative accommodation that was more suitable for your needs and helped you have a great time with us.

Thank you for your positive comments about our team members, which have been fed back to their departments. Our Bingo session is a linked game across all our 39 parks and as such has to be scheduled in line with other parks.

Thank you for recommending us to your friends and we look forward to welcoming you to the park again soon.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Booked bronze, which we knew would be basic, but had to pay extra to go bronze+ as we were 5 people (one being a newborn!). We arrived and were given directions to the wrong caravan to start, then when we eventually found ours I wish we hadnt. The smallest caravan on the whole site (so much for having to pay extra for more room as we were a family of 5 not 4), it was filthy and stank, and the beds were not made up as expected. My husband went to reception to complain, they claimed not to have anything else at all, until we said we were just going to leave, and suddenly another caravan was available. The 2nd caravan was better, bit more room, but the carpets and sofa's were soaking wet, and everything stank of bleach. We accepted this one as it was so much better than the first, but would never have accepted it otherwise. We decided to get a drink from the bar and to let our girls (8 and 4) play in the playground. Once was enough. Over £10 for a pint and a glass of wine (vinegar). The playground had random bits missing from the equipment and the other children there were so horrific we left so our kids didnt get a chance to associate with them - chavs, swearing and shouting and talking about things children of that age shouldnt even know about! Dont try and get and sleep while you're there as it will be interupted by either dogs barking constantly or drunken idiots and teenagers shouting and wandering about at 3am! The only good things about the site at all were the entertainments staff who did a fantastic job. The fact that the rest of the site and caravan were so horrific meant that we made the most of the island and spent almost all our time out and about to avoid spending time there! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

4 Thank rachel_maddy
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry you were not happy with your allocated accommodation when you checked in with us, but I am pleased we were able to offer you an alternative that was more suitable.

Our drink prices are set by our head office and are comparable with other holiday park companies however we also do offer a variety of offers and promotions to suit all budgets.

Our security teams carry out hourly patrols of the park to ensure the safety and comfort of all our guests. If a guest experiences any issues whilst on park, we encourage them to speak to our 24 hour security team who would have been more than happy to help. I hope you were able to enjoy the Island and hope we are able to welcome you back to Park Resorts again in the future.

01983 523 109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
Best Western New Holmwood Hotel
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Rookley Country Park
Rookley Country Park
#1 of 2 in Rookley

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!