“Got what we expected for price”

Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We booked through The Mail newspaper and didn't upgrade so we got the basics of basics but it was clean and everything there and when a light in the twin bedroom didn't work properly it was soon fixed after it was reported.

The park itself is as it's always been when i last visited back in 1997 and so it bought back fond memories.

Unfortunately the Ents team weren't as good as i was hoping. Yes they were good up on stage but they didn't come and sit with you and chat during the disco times they just stayed on the dance floor, even when there wasn't even any kids on it. So we didn't feel very welcomed by them, maybe i was spoilt when it was Haven (it's now Park Resorts) and when i was a Haven Mate we were told to sit and chat with the guests and make them feel welcome.

It's a shame the riding stables aren't there anymore

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lampiekat
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Hello and thank you for your valued feedback. I’m pleased to hear that your accommodation met your requirements, and was clean and equipped for your needs. I am disappointed to hear that our Entertainment team were not encouraging conversation and interaction with guests at all times, and as a result of your feedback I will be ensuring that the Entertainments Manager in 2013 encourages this at all times. The team do work extremely hard on their shows and entertainments so I am pleased to hear that you thought they performed well on stage. We have invested in the Park over the winter period and have refurbished our chalet units and swimming pool changing rooms together with improvements to the roads on Park and more so I do hope that you may decide to return to Thorness Bay to see us again. Thanks again for your feedback which will help us to improve our services.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went on a Sun Promotion 4 day break , it cost £ 82 for the 4 nights and the ferry both ways, on arrival we checked in and were given the keys to our caravan , I could not find caravan 21 ,but on asking one of the ground staff was pointed in the direction of Chalet 21, it was basic but served its purpose (well so I thought ) , we decided to go to Newport to eat that evening , on our return we found the outside light on the chalet did not work, bit chilly so switched on the fire in the lounge/kitchen/diner, that didn't work either , but the oven did with the door open for some warmth, next morning went to Currys and bought a blow heater. Time for bed , get into bed and feel a sharp pain in my side, yes, it was a broken spring poking through the mattress cover, so dressing gown over that and got to sleep. That was it really, ah, did I mention the Fleas in the chalet ?, well there were and Sainsburys sell a very effective flea spray that works. Did I complain ? , No .I knew the reply would be ,It was a Sun (reader,s ?) holiday, you get what you pay for !!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerbut

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am so disappointed that your holiday did not meet your expectations and I wish you had reported this to us whilst you were on Park so we could have had the opportunity to rectify the issues, or provided you with different accommodation. I’d like to reassure you that we treat all guests visiting our Park equally and all accommodation should always be of a high standard. Over the winter period we have invested a lot in chalet refurbishments so these will be improved for the 2013 season. I really hope you may decide to visit us again, as this really isn’t a true reflection of our Park and I would love to reinstall your faith in us and encourage anyone with issues to report them to us whilst on Park.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Third visit to this holiday site, and every time we have not been let down, we have stayed in Bronze, Silver and Platnum caravans and they all give you what they offer.,... Very clean accomodation and have everything that you need. The swimming pool is warm and clean, all the staff are friendly and very helpful. The food in the club house is excellent and great value for money. Will definately go again. Ocean View 8, perfect caravan.

Room Tip: The Caravans in "Ocean View" section are quite and close to the beach and club house.
1  Thank abby w

Hi Abby, thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review of your time at Thorness Bay. I’m delighted to hear that you are a returning guest and each time you have visited us you have enjoyed your holiday! The staff here work extremely hard to help our guests create those amazing memories and its great to hear you’ll be visiting us again, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here on a cheap deal holiday so can't complain about the price. We had a two bedroom caravan (shed) which was ok altho it was pretty damp, but it did the job. The entertainment in the club house was the worst I have ever seen, we only ventured down twice as the children preferred to watch dvds! The location was fine but then you can get anywhere in half an hour by car on the isles of Wight.

• Stayed: October 2012

Hello Louise and thank you for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear that your caravan met your requirements. We experienced some really wet weather in October which unfortunately this can cause some condensation inside the caravan, so I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. Additional heating can be obtained at reception, if available, which can help to alleviate the problem. I’m disappointed to hear that the entertainment was not up to your expectations. We do attempt to cater for all ages but I appreciate that it not to everyone’s taste at all times and apologise for this. Again, I thank you for your feedback and I hope you enjoy another visit to the Isle of Wight again in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The first thing that hit us when we walked into the caravan was the smell! It stank of dogs, mould and general dirt. Had to buy new bedding as we didn't even want to sit on the dirty smelly bedding that was already there. Caravan looked as though it had never been cleaned, dirty and mouldy, especially the bathroom where you felt like you were more dirty after taking a shower. The windows could not be closed from the inside, you had to go outside and push them in to close them. Also the hot water is somewhat pot luck! The curtains and blinds throughout were full of mould, couldn't bear to touch them! This caravan is clearly not inhabitable for anyone to stay in, especially when you are looking forward to a well deserved break. We could only bring ourselves to stay in the van for 3 nights before leaving early to go home. This caravan should be condemned.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank milkyem
michelle h, Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

BB 66 is a privatley owned caravan on our site and is not manned by us

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We booked through the Sun Newspaper for a weekend and we upgraded before we came to a Gold Standard Caravan. We were pleasantly surprised by the High standard of the Park and the Accommodation. First off we arrived late in the evening as we missed the 6pm ferry due to bad traffic on the M25. We made the 7.15pm ferry. On arrival in Isle of Wight we typed in the Postcode for Thorness Bay into the Sat Nav and set off, this brought us around the block to the ferry port again( 2/3 times in total) Each time we arrived at the Ferry port if kept saying Board ferry and then when we would pass it by it kept saying exit ferry so the kids thought this was hilarious, we didn' we thought we had the wrong postcode. I phoned Thorness Bay and got speaking to a very pleasant Security Man called Danny who informed us that there is normally a chainferry that connect East Cowes to Cowes but after 7 in the evening this is not in operation so he guided us over the telphone to Thorness Bay by rerouting us through East Cowes down as far as Newport and then onto Thorness Bay. Only for Danny we would have lost our minds, so big thank you to Danny he did a fantastic job. We eventually got to the Park and we collected our keys and map to the caravan, it was very straightforward. We unpacked the car and headed to the main entertainment area and bar/restaurant with the kids. We cannot fault Thorness Bay in any respect. We had a lovely weekend and all the members of staff that we came accross in the Entertainment area or reception were all very friendly and courteous. Oh I forgot to mention there is an onsite Swimming pool with slide for the little ones and outdoor Sports courts for basketball and playground and if thats not enough it also reached onto its own private beach. So this place was a great find for us. This was our second trip to the Isle of Wight booked through the sun newspaper and we were not disappointed. Caravan and park were spotlessly clean and warm( when you turned the heating on) and we were absolutely thrilled with the Gold standard caravan. Park resorts deserve a pat on the back for this place. We also had to call reception one night as our outdoor light was not working and within 5 mins Danny, came down and replaced the bulb no problem. We also exlpored other areas of the Isle of Wight with the Needles being a big attraction for our children especially the sweet factory. All in all I don't think you can fault the Isle of Wight for a weekend break.Fantastic island with plenty to do and plenty of decent Pubs and restaurants to choose from and breathtaking views and Beaches.

2  Thank Mcloughw

Thank you for taking the time to provide an honest and positive review of our Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your holiday at Thorness Bay and you enjoyed our beautiful island and all its attractions. Danny will be happy to hear your lovely comments when I show him, as will the rest of the team who all work extremely hard, so thank you. I’m pleased that the small issue with your light was fixed promptly and I’m pleased that Danny’s directions guided you to the Park without further delay. We hope to see you again in 2013! Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have been comming to thorness bay for around 15 years now always on the touring area and never in high season, I've never really had any problems as its always nice and quiet in the touring area at this time of year so the shower and toilet block is always clean and tidy and rarely any boistous kids or inconsiderate adults to spoil the break.
The park itself this year appears to be getting better maintenance, all the grass is short and neat the roads are clean and most if not all the lighting is in order, the hard standing pitches do however need some attention as they Are completely overgrown with weeds which would suggest the area has been relatively un used this year intact the whole touring area seems to have had very little use compared to past years which is strange as it is a very and I mean very cheap site to visit out of season, prices start at just £7 per night and we paid less than £200 for a large touring caravan 4 adults on a hard standing pitch with electric for 12 nights including ferry for an outfit measuring 15 meters no matter what you think of the site that is extremely cheap.
I can not comment on the static caravans as I've never been in them but it would seem that the site has few older type vans and all appear to be within the 1 to 5 year old range so they should be fine, if there is an issue I would think its down to the staff charged with maintenance and cleaning.
The only real thing that I can fault the site with this year is staff, in particular the team stars and staff in the entertainment area, we have always had team stars that want to entertain and put in a good effort but this years are just terrible not one of them has even the remotest interest in the job they are paid to do, no party dances no effort no attention and a lot of the time not even being present just leaving a pre recorded set of music playing on a sound system that should sound superb but through an inability to use it correctly sounds awfull, we spent almost 20 minuites of the "party disco section" with tinny awfull sound and no lighting as the so called dj had pressed play on a long play cd and then disappeared to the back stage forgetting to activate the lighting hence no atmosphere and no one bothering to dance, the problem for us it is boring so like so many others we just got up and went back to the caravan the problem for park resorts is we are not spending money in the bar so they are losing money purely through un proffesional un interested talentless team stars, I've tried to find e entrainment manager to discuss this but he / she is also non existent unlike other years where the manager has always been available. I fully understand that it is the very end of the season and it is quiet in the club BUT we have paid to be entertained and we expect to be entertained regardless of the time of year, if I didn't bother to drive my train because there was only two passengers I would get sacked !.
All in all a good stay site and pitches average to good, entertainment appaling, would I come back ? Well we have been coming for 15 years so I suppose I will but not too sure when I've been let down so badley by the entertainment team.

Room Tip: Can't comment on statics but touring area is pretty good.
1  Thank John P

Hello John and thank you for your feedback. I’m delighted to hear you have been visiting Thorness Bay for 15 years and you are pleased with the most recent maintenance on Park, which we will continue to maintain and improve on. I am saddened to hear that your most recent experience wasn’t up to the usual standard you would expect, because of the entertainment provided on Park. I would like to assure you that our new Entertainments team will be announced shortly and as a recently transferred General Manager to this Park I will ensure that entertainment begins with enthusiasm at the start of the season and continues throughout. With a mix of new shows and on-site and visiting cabarets I hope that you will enjoy the entertainment in 2013.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
The Fountain Inn
Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park
Rookley Country Park
Rookley Country Park
#2 of 2 in Rookley

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!